Old March 27th 05, 06:47 AM
KØHB

Default Simplex calling frequencies

K0CKB and I just returned from an 8-week RV vacation. During the 8,500 mile
trip we continuously monitored 146.52, and had our calls and the statement
"Monitoring 146.52" prominently visible on the rear of our coach. Most of our
travel was on busy Interstate highways, and in/near populous areas including
Minneapolis, DesMoines, Kansas City, Topeka, Wichita, OKC, DFW, Waco, Austin,
San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Brownsville, ElPaso, Las Cruces, Globe, Phoenix,
Flagstaff, Tucson, Las Vegas, and points between.

Not once were we called on 146.52.

At every population center we announced "K0HB (or K0CKB) monitoring Five Two",
often more than once.. On only one occasion (thanks WK5C) did we receive a
reply.

Is .52 broken?

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old March 27th 05, 11:04 AM

K=D8HB wrote:
[...]

Perhaps they forgot to disable thier K0HB filters?

Had you been in SE Tennessee and I had seen you, you would have
gotten a call. But on the same note, there's been quite a few
occassions where I've passed/been passed by a vehicle with Amateur tags
(or some other "callsign" display), and had my hails go unanswered.

On the other hand, I've gotten several calls, mostly from
18-wheeler Amateurs. Lots of those big rigs are Hams...guess they got
tired of the 10-4 good buddy crowd.

Glad you're home safe, Hans.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old March 27th 05, 06:00 PM
cl

wrote in message
oups.com...

KØHB wrote:
[...]

This is just a guess, but "maybe"

1. Any amateurs mobile that may have seen you, missed reading the bumper
sticker because they're too busy watching the road? I know when I'm on the
road and see a ham call sign bumper sticker or plate, I sure in hell am not
going to detract from my driving to play guessing games trying to find them.
That would be like a needle in a hay stack - IF they are even on the air at
all.

2. They're on the "repeater" pairs - perhaps trying to get directions from a
local person - because they didn't think they would have any luck monitoring
146.52!

Old March 29th 05, 12:36 AM
Dan/W4NTI

wrote in message
oups.com...

KØHB wrote:
[...]

I remember whenever you passed a ham or saw his tag that if you sent four
beeps spaced and two more beeps on your horn you would get a friendly
response.

I don't bother anymore.

Dan/W4NTI

Old April 6th 05, 04:45 AM
Caveat Lector

In case your question is serious and for others who may not know, in the days of telegraph before radio, operators would tell stories and jokes along an idle circuit. Since 4 dits followed by 2 dits sounds like a laugh -- and 4 beeps is H and 2 beeps is I

Sending HI HI in Morse was a telegraphic laugh and it naturally carried over to radio by CW ops. Used by many today in CW and indeed has carried over to phone as well.

Well in passing a another Ham car -- sending HI in Morse is a Ham motorists Hello.

So much in Amateur Radio jargon is from the telegraph days.

Lets see if any one knows the origin of ES in Morse in lieu of the word AND ???
Answer tommorrow from CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !
"Paul H. Wray" wrote in message ...
I wonder what the 4 beeps and the 2 beeps are supposed to mean?
Paul
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 27th 05, 06:14 PM
RST Engineering

I use .52 aircraft mobile all the time and never have any trouble finding
somebody monitoring.

Jim

Is .52 broken?

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 5th 05, 07:18 AM
Ted Bruce

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:14:18 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

I use .52 aircraft mobile all the time and never have any trouble finding
somebody monitoring.

Jim

Pretty good radio horizon up there, right, Jim?

Ted KX4OM
Old March 27th 05, 08:01 PM
Rabbi Phil

Poor Hans, so typical of today's ham radio ops, stuck in the archaic world
of 52 simplex, while the rest of the world is using Advanced Mobile
Technology.

"Why aren't young people interested in ham radio"? duhhhhhhhhhhh, lets
demonstrate 52 simplex for them, maybe that'll get the kids interested.

73,

Rabbi Phil

nk.net...

Old March 27th 05, 08:36 PM
KØHB

"Rabbi Phil" wrote in message

"Why aren't young people interested in ham radio"?

Hi Phil,

That's certainly a topic worthy of discussion.

You could start a thread if you liked, but my question is related to simplex
calling frequencies, not why Johnnie didn't pass the amateur exam.

72.5, de Hans, K0HB

newbie GMRS questions [email protected] Policy 10 December 16th 04 03:12 PM
CW Testing Question Mike Coslo Policy 52 May 29th 04 09:24 AM
calling frequencies clark neider Dx 2 August 4th 03 11:27 PM
calling frequencies clark neider Dx 0 August 4th 03 07:53 PM