Old September 6th 05, 02:37 AM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

Digital wrote:
"Cmdr Buzz Corey" wrote in message

Years ago I participated in ham radio communications after a tornado
cleaned out about half of the southern part of Witchta Fall, Tx. The
kind folks of WF housed us in a church, provided sleeping facilities and
fed us. Anyone think that was violating the rule of "pecuniary interest"?

Of course not. Besides, who but the most idiotic of Hams would accuse you of
same?

Bingo!
Old September 6th 05, 02:39 AM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

John Smith wrote:
CB:

Funny, but when the gov't asked for billions for "homeland defense" and
made fema and it united, I thought they would have bought some
communications equip., trained people and they would be set in place in
such a disaster--from planes, tops of tall buildings, in communication
vehicles and such--then begin communicating with hams in their local
communities to handle communications for family and other services into
that area. I never thought for a moment they would then plan, in a real
disaster, to start hiring hams--that simply sucks and demonstrates we have
been screwed.

So just were are they "hiring" hams?
Old September 8th 05, 09:45 PM

All that money to the ARRL which everyone knows to be the only legit
representative of ALL of the nations hams and not one single penny to
the looser up in Maine who is usually bellowing how important he is.
The Corporation for National and Community know which groups are real
and which are phony and they know that the ARRL and ONLY the ARRL
deserves the support because the ARRL is REAL and is saving lives. The
K1MAN group is nothing more than a guy in an old packing crate in
Maine.

Service

N9OGL wrote:
NEWINGTON, CT, Sep 2, 2005--The Corporation for National and Community
Service (CNCS) will provide a $100,000 grant supplement to ARRL to
support Amateur Radio's emergency communication operators in states
affected by Hurricane Katrina. The grant will help to fund "Ham Aid," a
new League program to support Amateur Radio volunteers deployed in the
field in disaster-stricken areas. ARRL Chief Development Officer Mary
Hobart, K1MMH, expressed gratitude to CNCS for its generous response.
Ham Aid, she said, offers a unique opportunity to support individual
radio amateurs helping to bridge the communication gap Hurricane
Katrina has caused.

"For the first time in ARRL history, we will be able to reimburse some
of the expenses that hams incur in response to a disaster," she said.
"We only wish that we could justify an expense reimbursement program
like this every time Amateur Radio Emergency Service volunteers are
called upon to help in a disaster or emergency, sometimes placing
themselves in harm's way."

In addition to providing emergency communication within and outside the
affected areas, Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) members and
individual radio amateurs are supplementing the communication needs of
emergency management and relief agencies, including the American Red
Cross and The Salvation Army. Hobart said it's only due to the scope of
the unprecedented and tragic Katrina disaster that CNCS agreed to help
support dedicated Amateur Radio volunteers.

"But," she added, "we'd like to think of this grant as a token of
appreciation and a recognition of Amateur Radio's value in past
emergencies and disasters, such as 9/11."

Hobart says ARRL's Ham Aid program already has received some
substantial private donations. Those and the CNCS grant, she said,
provide a way for the League to "support our Field Organization as
never before."

The CNCS Ham Aid grant is effective for operations established and
documented as of September 1, 2005, and the aid is earmarked for
Hurricane Katrina deployments only at this point. Guidelines are being
established that will permit volunteers who have been involved in bona
fide field support operations on or after September 1 to provide
communication support to apply for a reimbursement voucher on a per
diem basis.

Trained Amateur Radio operators will be on site for the duration of
this disaster response, which could run into several weeks or months.
"Many will leave their jobs and families and travel on their own
expense, using their own equipment," Hobart points out.

Corporation funds may also sustain the Ham Aid program and help to
rebuild the emergency communications capabilities in Louisiana,
Mississippi and Alabama to ensure that the Gulf Coast is prepared,
should disaster strike again.

The CNCS grant is an extension of ARRL's three year Homeland Security
training grant, which has provided certification in emergency
communication protocols to nearly 5500 Amateur Radio volunteer over the
past three years.

"CNCS grants helped make it possible for the ARRL to train America's
hams and make them the best all-volunteer emergency radio service ever
seen," Hobart said. "Now they are making it possible for the hams to
use that training."

Old September 9th 05, 12:14 AM

Randy wrote:
"N9OGL" wrote in message
oups.com...
Food, caps, tee-shirts, food, and bottle water is one thing, but money
is another. My point in all of this is K1MAN was fined by the FCC for
Pecuniary Interest and now the ASSHOLE RADIO RELAY LEAGUE is going to
do the samething. What go for one person should apply for all. The MAIN
problem I see here is the definition of the term noncommercial, and
seems that there is two tems on what noncommercial means.

Todd N9OGL

Learn to write (and spell), Todd.
Most third graders can do better than you.

Make the ARRL stop, make them all stop. Who listens to W1AW anyway,
except for field day points.