Old October 11th 05, 06:22 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

Default Morse code learning software

I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code, and
have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the code. The
program can be downloaded from http://justlearnmorsecode.com

If you like the program, please make the URL known to the members of your
club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd

Old October 12th 05, 08:39 AM
Has

"Sigurd Stenersen" wrote in message
I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code, and
have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the code. The
program can be downloaded from http://justlearnmorsecode.com

If you like the program, please make the URL known to the members of your
club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Congrats for offering another way for folks to learn CW.
Thing is, there is no Easy way. Learning the code takes practice, time, but
most importantly--desire.
The time seems to be coming when learning even 5WPM will not be an issue to
get a ham license, and more than a few are waiting on that. And I won't say
if that's a good or bad thing, but from my experience learing CW is far
easier that what you need to know than what's required for an Extra license.
But again, wanting to learn makes all the difference. And if someone comes
up with an easier way to absorb that knowledge, more power to them, and to
you.

-Has

Old October 12th 05, 01:56 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

Has wrote:
"Sigurd Stenersen" wrote in message
I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code,
and have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the
code. The program can be downloaded from
http://justlearnmorsecode.com If you like the program, please make the
URL known to the members of
your club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Congrats for offering another way for folks to learn CW.

Thank you.

Thing is, there is no Easy way.

Yes there is. That is what I was posting about.

Learning the code takes practice,
time, but most importantly--desire.

Sure. But using the above mentioned software makes it take less practice,
less time, and even less desire.

But again, wanting to learn makes all the difference.

Wanting to learn is important, but having good tools for learning also makes
a big difference.

And if someone comes up with an easier way to absorb
that knowledge, more power to them, and to you.

Actually, Koch and Farnsworth did just that, a LONG time ago. And the
http://justlearnmorsecode.com web site includes descriptions of both these
methods.

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd

Old October 15th 05, 02:06 PM

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:22:22 +0200, "Sigurd Stenersen"
wrote:

I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code, and
have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the code. The
program can be downloaded from http://justlearnmorsecode.com

If you like the program, please make the URL known to the members of your
club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd

SWEET and XP Likes it.
Very professionally done.
I used to have cassettes each with one method, one ARRL and
one from, I think CQ magazine. long gone.
I've been on 10 metres so long I can't recognise my own callsign
your software will help change that.
Thank you so very much
Ed
73 de KA9AHQ/7

Old October 15th 05, 10:15 PM
Dan/W4NTI

wrote:

I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code, and
have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the code. The
program can be downloaded from http://justlearnmorsecode.com

If you like the program, please make the URL known to the members of your
club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd

SWEET and XP Likes it.
Very professionally done.
I used to have cassettes each with one method, one ARRL and
one from, I think CQ magazine. long gone.
I've been on 10 metres so long I can't recognise my own callsign
your software will help change that.
Thank you so very much
Ed
73 de KA9AHQ/7

I don't need to learn Morse, but I decided to look it over, I am quite
impressed. Nice program to practice with also.

Wish it had some more speed though.

Any possibility of cranking it up a bit?

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 15th 05, 10:44 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
wrote:

I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse
code, and have created a computer program that makes it easy to
learn the code. The program can be downloaded from
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

I don't need to learn Morse, but I decided to look it over, I am
quite impressed. Nice program to practice with also.

Thank you.

Wish it had some more speed though.
Any possibility of cranking it up a bit?

I'm assuming that you're not asking for more than 100 WPM ?

The easiest way to change the speed is to change the two numbers next to the
label "Speed" on the line below the menu.

You might also change the speed by selecting /Tools/Options (select Options
in the Tools menu) and then change the two numbers next to "Speed" in there.
There is also a Help button in that screen.

/Help/Contents is another good place to start.

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd

Old October 15th 05, 10:48 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

Wayne P. Muckleroy wrote:
"Sigurd Stenersen" wrote in message
I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code,
and have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the
code. The program can be downloaded from
http://justlearnmorsecode.com If you like the program, please make the
URL known to the members of
your club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Morse is dead...hang it up!

I don't know your reasoning for making a statement like that, but no matter
what it is it applies to ham radio in general. What do you need ham radio
for in the first place ? A cell phone is all you need to talk to anybody,
anywhere, anytime.

So what are you doing here on the ham radio newsgroups in the first place ?

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd

Old October 15th 05, 11:12 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
The easiest way to change the speed is to change the two numbers next
to the label "Speed" on the line below the menu.

To "clarifuse" a bit - if you want to set the speed to 25 WPM and use
standard timing, you have to change both numbers to 25.

The first number is the word speed, or overall transmit speed. The second
number is the character speed. If the numbers are equal, you're using
standard timing. If the first number is less than the second number, you're
using Farnsworth timing, which means characters are transmitted at the
higher speed with extra spacing inserted between characters and words to
slow the transmission down to match the lower number.

Oh, and you can change settings during a session (while Morse code is being
sent).

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd