Old July 24th 03, 06:16 PM
Bill Sohl

Default Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st

"Spamhater" wrote in message
Ummmm, maybe the requirement is dropped in other countries but they don't
live by our laws, nor we theirs.... Just because you want to jump off a
bridge, don't expect others to. IF the speed limit in other countries is

100
MPH, you feel you deserve to drive 100MPH here too?

Actually, yes I do where proper road engineering should allow it.

The FCC had to go along
with the INTERNATIONAL community.

They "had to go along"? Sorry friend, the FCC position
going in to WRC was for TOTAL elimination of S25.5
morse requirement.

I'm sure that if you would keep your pants
on, they will be issuing shortly a memo to abolish the code requirement.

IT
IS A BUREAUCRACY... It doesn't happen over night. As to the ARRL, they

don't
run the country. NOR the FCC regardless what anyone may want to think.

The process isn't clear yet as to what the dependencies may
be for that to happen.

IF YOU want to be a law breaker, have at it... but don't expect the law
abiding people to slit their throats at your command. SOME do believe in
rules and laws.

I agree the rules must be followed until they are changed.

Obviously, you're not one of them. You portrayed that very
well. I'm not a code fan, but hold a 20WPM Extra license. It was a
requirement that earned me the right to use the bands much like the

license
to drive my vehicle.. ALL PRIVILEGES - EARNED. You aren't born with them.

It
amazes me how many are so gung ho to side step the laws and rules and yet

if
their feet are stepped on, the first to bitch.

I agree the rules must still be followed.

Sit back and enjoy what you
have. Some day, radio will be so miserable you won't want it anyway. It is
going there very quickly.

Same old "sky is falling" negativity of some that profess
the end of ham radio. The same silly attitude was there
when any rule changes are suggested or made.

Some day you'll wish there were laws and rules
being upheld.

Ditto my last.

As I said, I'm not a code fan, but it took work to get my
license... another thing many are afraid of. WORK.

Yawn, same old work effort garbage for the sake of serving
as a test of interest level.

When something is GIVEN
to you, it holds NO value.

Strange, I have been given many things in life that I
treasure greatly.

When you EARN it, you tend to value it. A LOT.

So my easy ability to pass the Extra written once the code test was
dropped to 5 wpm because I have a career in electronics
must mean I value the license less? Bzzzt! Does not compute!

Just my 2 cents...

And mine also.
Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

wrote in message

Let the FCC know that they can no longer keep you from your right to us
the ten meter band allocation if you are a technician licensee. The

international
requirement for morse code has been removed and there is no such thing
as a technician plus license.
You don't have to use your identity, but no code technicians need to

finally
speak out to the FCC they will no longer be oppressed by rules designed

for the
stone age of electronic technology.
Get on the air at 6pm local time on August 1st or if the band is open

any
time
to make contacts in the 28.300-28.500 MHz that is allocated to

technicians
for
voice. Or if you have a computer you can use the allocated technician CW

bands
to send and receive morse code.
Currently the FCC and ARRL want to drag this morse code requirement out

for
one or two years while they put BPL and other technology on the fast

track. I
will be on the air and I hope 10,000 or more no code technicians will

join
me.
I guess Hollingsworth will have to require 10,000 people to turn in

their
CW
proficiency certificate if YOU will join us.
The morse code game is over and I'm not driving 55 when the speed limit

is
really 70 mph and the government hasn't changed the signs yet. Just go

by
the
limitation of your technician license and don't go overboard, we want to

show
that just because we didn't pass some dinosaur morse code test that we

are
bad
operators.
Get on 28.306 USB at 6 PM local time to talk with other no code tech's

that
are protesting the FCC and ARRL stupidity.

Old July 25th 03, 12:23 AM
Jim Hampton

I believe that if a technician was licensed a long time ago, he would
already be grandfathered to general. I also believe that the codeless techs
and tech pluses are lacking one element of written exam to be grandfathered
into a general class ticket, but I could well be wrong. Back in the late
60s I also managed a qso using land-line Morse. I doubt there are any CW
programs for computers that would have much luck with that

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Old July 25th 03, 02:52 AM
Jim

wrote in message ...
.

Let the FCC know that they can no longer keep you from your right to use

the
ten meter band allocation if you are a technician licensee. The

international
requirement for morse code has been removed and there is no such thing as

technician plus license.
You don't have to use your identity, but no code technicians need to

finally
speak out to the FCC they will no longer be oppressed by rules designed

for the
stone age of electronic technology.

How does breaking the rules of your license class prove that you are not
"bad operators". Seems to prove just the opposite.
The code may be an antiquated method of communication, but, it does prove
your desire to learn and work for what you want.
Remember, "Anything worth having is worth working for".
I may only be a 5 WPM extra because I got my license after the rule change
but I studied the code, struggled with the code
and finally passed after 3 tries. I value my license more because I had to
WORK for it than if all I had to do was fill out a form
and wait.
Nothing you ever learn is wasted.

Old July 26th 03, 08:29 PM
Leland C. Scott

"Jerry Oxendine" wrote in
message
What the anti-code code folks want is the same

anarchy that prevails on
the CB band.

Unless you're a proven mind reader Jerry I fail to
see how you can make such a wild statement and
pass it off as the truth.

Trouble is, they are not smart enough to realize

that the
result would be worse than the cu

All of the bickering and in-fighting over the
issue is worse than anything that will come as the
result of the dropping of the CW requirement.

when they finally finished ruining
radio and making it unusable, they would wish

that there had been some kind
of order after they can't talk across town for

the keyclowns.

The same crapola was repeated time and again about
the restructuring of the ARS, and guess what?
Things turned out just fine. I don't see anything
going down the drain with the removal of the CW
testing requirement other than another issue that
is no longer necessary to fight over.

It isn't a
matter of whether there is a code requirement or

not, it is a matter of
what they ultimately want:

It's a simple change in techinical requirements.
Nobody tests to see if you can properly saddle and
ride a horse just to get a driver's license.
Change happens and some people just can't seem to
get with the program.

Next organization to pop up will be NTI--No Test

International. Just go to
Wal-
mart or Bubba's CB shop and VOILA--"Ah'm one of

them 'ere 'good' operators,
thar, tan fer thar?"

Well Jerry I do have an issue with the written
exams. I am one of those in favor of NOT
publishing the question pool along with the
correct answers. When you have 9 year old kids
passing the written Extra exam because they simply
memorized the correct answers it is of far more
concern that if one can bang away at a key trying
to send CW. I'll bet those 9 year old Extras can't
even identify which end of a flashlight battery is
the positive and negative terminals because they
really don't undersand the material. I brought
this whole issue up in the policy news group a few
years ago after QST ran an article about how some
Ham "computer trained", i.e. used computer
generated test exams, on his 9 year kid to the
point where she could pass the written exams from
memory.

I think it's a real shame that so many Hams waste
their time arguing about CW testing when the
larger picture is that far to many hams don't have
a clue about how their rice-box-radios even work
internally. So you have the situation where Hams
believe it necessary to be CW proficient, but OK
to be technical ignorant because they simply
memorized their way through passing the exams.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

ARRL Member
NCI Member

Charter member of the
Lawrence Technological University
Wireless Society W8LTU

Old July 27th 03, 05:44 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

The message below also scores a 10 out of a possible 10 on the
"troll-o-meter."

Doing what is suggested below will also be illegal, will put your
license in jeopardy, and will give ham radio a "black eye."

Please don't follow the foolish and irresponsible "advice" given
below ...

73,

--
Carl R. Stevenson - wk3c
Grid Square FN20fm
http://home.ptd.net/~wk3c
NCI-1052
Executive Director, No Code International
Fellow, The Radio Club of America
Senior Member, IEEE
Member, IEEE Standards Association
Chair, IEEE 802.18 Radio Regulatory Technical Advisory Group
Member, Wi-Fi Alliance Spectrum Committee
Co-Chair, Wi-Fi Alliance Legislative Committee
Member, QCWA (31424)
Member, ARRL
Member, TAPR
Member, The SETI League
Join No Code International! Hams for the 21st Century.
Help assure the survival and prosperity of ham radio.
http://www.nocode.org

Old July 28th 03, 11:28 AM
Keith

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:44:34 GMT, "Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

The message below also scores a 10 out of a possible 10 on the
"troll-o-meter."

There is no way the FCC can find it if a tech has passed a morse code test
since they don't keep any records. I know that no code techs are on 10m and
have been for the last 3 years. No code tech's pick up your microphone and talk
on 10 meters.

--
The Radio Page Ham, Police Scanner, Shortwave and more.
http://www.kilowatt-radio.org/
Old July 28th 03, 08:00 PM
Floyd Davidson

Keith wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:44:34 GMT, "Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

The message below also scores a 10 out of a possible 10 on the
"troll-o-meter."

There is no way the FCC can find it if a tech has passed a morse code test
since they don't keep any records. I know that no code techs are on 10m and
have been for the last 3 years. No code tech's pick up your microphone and talk
on 10 meters.

Yeah right. Welcome to Citizens Band Radio, right there on a ham band,
idiot.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old July 29th 03, 05:30 AM
'Doc

Keith wrote:
---- clipped ----

There is no way the FCC can find it if a tech has passed a morse code test
since they don't keep any records.

Oh, really? Care to place a small bet on that? What
happens to all those completion certificates that you have
to show that you've successfully completed part of an exam?
Do you really think they just go into the trash? I'm afraid
I have some bad news for you Keith, they aren't thrown away.
So, any other 'loop holes' you want someone to jump through?
'Doc
Old July 30th 03, 12:04 AM
D. Stussy

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, 'Doc wrote:
Keith wrote:
---- clipped ----
There is no way the FCC can find it if a tech has passed a morse code test
since they don't keep any records.

Oh, really? Care to place a small bet on that? What
happens to all those completion certificates that you have
to show that you've successfully completed part of an exam?
Do you really think they just go into the trash? I'm afraid
I have some bad news for you Keith, they aren't thrown away.
So, any other 'loop holes' you want someone to jump through?

The CSCEs are held by the VECs. They do not go to the FCC - and therefore, the
FCC itself doesn't know.