Old September 21st 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Looking for additional texts on basic receiver design

Hi,

I am reading the ARRL Handbook on Receiver Design and frankly, I find
it's a bit out of my league. The writing assumes some knowledge of
circuitry that I am weak on. Eg., I think I can I can see from the
schematic that an RC circuit is shifting phase in a quadrature amplifier
stage but it's not mentioned in the text as such.

Hopefully, someone out there can get a sense of where I am on the
learning curve and can suggest an appropriate text (not TOO basic, I guess).

Thanks!

John
AB8O
Old September 21st 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I suggest "Experimental methods in RF Design" if that is not the one
you are using... If it is the one, you need to start by building a few
of the basic blocks, RF amp, Mixer, IF amp, AGC, etc. one at a time and
then combining them...

denny / k8do

Old September 21st 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Denny wrote:
I suggest "Experimental methods in RF Design" if that is not the one
you are using... If it is the one, you need to start by building a few
of the basic blocks, RF amp, Mixer, IF amp, AGC, etc. one at a time and
then combining them...

denny / k8do

Thanks, Denny. I just ordered it.

John
AB8O

Old September 22nd 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

jawod wrote:
Hi,

I am reading the ARRL Handbook on Receiver Design and frankly, I find
it's a bit out of my league. The writing assumes some knowledge of
circuitry that I am weak on. Eg., I think I can I can see from the
schematic that an RC circuit is shifting phase in a quadrature amplifier
stage but it's not mentioned in the text as such.

Hopefully, someone out there can get a sense of where I am on the
learning curve and can suggest an appropriate text (not TOO basic, I guess).

Those writing "popular" (including ARRL) tech books are told not to
include any equations for better or worse. The ARRL books are not bad
as cookbooks but they skip a lot of steps leading up to understanding
why all those parts are there :-).

If you are looking for good readable books that build up from basics
and do not shirk at all from equations/analysis/calculus, try:

The Art of Electronics, Horowitz&Hill, for general electronics and a
tiny bit of radio. Begins to do noise analysis, PLL's, etc.

Communication Circuit Analysis and Design, Clark&Hess, for excellent
RF/mixer/modulator/demodulator stuff.

Tim.

Old September 22nd 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Wes Haywood and his buddy have forgotten more about working electronics
than many of the published authors will ever know... I have used and
modified parts of their circuits for decades... I still find somehting
new to play with everytime I dive into my dog eared copy... Enjoy...

denny

Old September 22nd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

One of the best books, if you can find a copy, is "Solid State Design
For The Radio Amateur" that was published by the ARRL in 1977, written
by Doug DeMaw and Wes Hayword. It covers theory and modeling, as well
as practical hands on building of RF receivers and transmitters. (Why
the ARRL doesn't re-publish this great book is beyond me...)
On a simpler level, any of the the "Notebook" series of books by Doug
DeMaw is a good place to learn about practical RF circuits and radio
design.

Jeff

Old September 23rd 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

jawod wrote:
Hi,

I am reading the ARRL Handbook on Receiver Design and frankly, I find
it's a bit out of my league. The writing assumes some knowledge of
circuitry that I am weak on. Eg., I think I can I can see from the
schematic that an RC circuit is shifting phase in a quadrature amplifier
stage but it's not mentioned in the text as such.

Hopefully, someone out there can get a sense of where I am on the
learning curve and can suggest an appropriate text (not TOO basic, I guess).

Thanks!

John
AB8O

I would suggest "Solid State Radio Engineering" by Herbert L.
Krauss, Charles W. Bostian, and Frederick H. Raab, John
Wiley & Sons, 1980. It covers radios for a lot of radio services,
isn't confined to amateur radio practice. Hardcover 534 pp.
Check used book listings on Amazon. Not one for Basic
Training but its not for PhD studies, either. Solid information
(no pun intended). It has nice illustrations. :-)