Old November 11th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Labeling mobile antennas?

I operate mobile with a number of Hamstick antennas - fiberglass rods
~1/2" (1.3cm) diameter with stainless steel whips at the end. A
separate antenna is necessary for each band.

The antennas come with paper tags at the bottom indicating which band
they're for. These are surprisingly durable, but they aren't perfect.
The 20 meter antenna has lost its tag - luckily right now I know that
the untagged antenna is 20 but if another one loses its tag I'll be down
to comparing lengths of loading coils...

What methods can folks suggest for labeling these antennas? Remember
that, while in use, it'll be exposed to the elements on the rear bumper
of a car.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old November 11th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Use a minidrill with an engraving bit on it and engrave "20M" into the
side of the stainless base??

Larry VE7EA
Old November 12th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I have to break down the antenna to fit in my trunk. I mark the whip with
colored vinyl tape at the point it adjusts into the mast, and put a piece of
the same colored tape on the mast. Red=40, Blue=30, Yellow=20. I use
Hustlers for 75/80 since the Hamstick doesn't cover 80, and the 75 meter
resonator carries red tape so I can quickly tell it from 80.

Old November 12th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 15:52:47 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

I operate mobile with a number of Hamstick antennas - fiberglass rods
~1/2" (1.3cm) diameter with stainless steel whips at the end. A
separate antenna is necessary for each band.

The antennas come with paper tags at the bottom indicating which band
they're for. These are surprisingly durable, but they aren't perfect.
The 20 meter antenna has lost its tag - luckily right now I know that
the untagged antenna is 20 but if another one loses its tag I'll be down
to comparing lengths of loading coils...

What methods can folks suggest for labeling these antennas? Remember
that, while in use, it'll be exposed to the elements on the rear bumper
of a car.

Heatshrink tubing. Either colour coded, or clear with a printed/coded label
inside.
Old November 12th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

What methods can folks suggest for labeling these antennas? Remember
that, while in use, it'll be exposed to the elements on the rear bumper
of a car.

How about labelling the antenna or base with a self-adhesive label
(e.g Brother P-Touch), and then covering it with some clear
heat-shrink tubing?

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old November 12th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Dave Platt wrote:
How about labelling the antenna or base with a self-adhesive label
(e.g Brother P-Touch), and then covering it with some clear
heat-shrink tubing?

I've learned the hard way that P-Touch labels can't tolerate exposure to
sunlight.

I like the colored tape idea.

Old November 12th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Paint or nail polish with the resistor color code:

GRY/BLK = 80
PUR/GRN = 75
YEL/BLK = 40
ORN/BLK = 30
RED/BLK = 20
BRN/GRN = 15
BRN/BLK = 10

Since the hamsticks themselves are black, you could omit black as the
second color unless you want to paint a white background first. I'd
paint a circle clear around it like a resistor so you can read it
without rotating the antenna.

And yes, there is green nail polish. :-)

Bill, W6WRT

Old November 12th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bill Turner wrote:
Paint or nail polish with the resistor color code:

GRY/BLK = 80
PUR/GRN = 75
YEL/BLK = 40
ORN/BLK = 30
RED/BLK = 20
BRN/GRN = 15
BRN/BLK = 10

Since the hamsticks themselves are black, you could omit black as the
second color unless you want to paint a white background first. I'd
paint a circle clear around it like a resistor so you can read it
without rotating the antenna.

And yes, there is green nail polish. :-)

I'm single & live in a small town. Buying green nail polish may not be
a good ideagrin.

Would nail polish stand exposure to the elements?

Old November 12th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message

I'm single & live in a small town. Buying green nail polish may not be a
good ideagrin.

I've been using nail polish to mark the polarity of toriod coils. The
problem is, other than red/pink, most of the colors aren't very opaque.
Even though blue and fluorescent green look starkly diferent in the bottle,
if you paint them on something dark they are pretty hard to tell from clear.
Having the brush in the bottle is terribly convenient, though. Why don't
they make model enamel with the brush in the cap? Or nail polish that looks
like model paint?

Oh yeah, and nail polish has an amazing range of price. I have a few
bottles of the cheap stuff I got years ago. Might be more opaque if I could
get my head around ten bucks for a half-ounce of paint.

Old November 12th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

How's about getting an electric engraver. Sears has them. That would
permanently mark them and is 100% guaranteed to be weather proof and
probably good up to at least Mach 12 or so

Scott
N0EDV