Old February 22nd 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default EZNEC Question

Andy writes:

I've been using Lewallen's EZNEC for about 10 years on my
laptop whose operating system is Windows 98SE with no
problems..

I just got a new computer with Windows XP Home Edition.
EZNEC installs fine, and several of the features work, but when
I try to do a Frequency Sweep , the program tells me I need about
2G of memory and that I only have about 1G available.....

My new system has 512 of ram, so I know the problem must
be in how it is partitioned ( extended vs conventional )...

So, can anyone tell me how this can be fixed without taking the
chance of buggering up the XP system that will mess up any
other programs ?

Thanks for your advice.

Andy W4OAH

Old February 22nd 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"AndyS" wrote in message
ups.com...
Andy writes:

I've been using Lewallen's EZNEC for about 10 years on my
laptop whose operating system is Windows 98SE with no
problems..

I just got a new computer with Windows XP Home Edition.
EZNEC installs fine, and several of the features work, but when
I try to do a Frequency Sweep , the program tells me I need about
2G of memory and that I only have about 1G available.....

My new system has 512 of ram, so I know the problem must
be in how it is partitioned ( extended vs conventional )...

So, can anyone tell me how this can be fixed without taking the
chance of buggering up the XP system that will mess up any
other programs ?

Thanks for your advice.

Andy W4OAH

There is no extended memory in Windows XP. It's a flat
address space. Try running your application in Windows 98
compatability mode. Right click on the .exe file and left
click on properties. Select the compatability tab and
enable compatability mode. Select windows 98 from
the pull down.
Then go to "Help and Support" and do a search on pif
Select the "Create or change a pif" result and read up on
how to assign extended or expanded memory to your
program.

Old February 23rd 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Feb 22, 2:09 pm, "John" wrote:
"AndyS" wrote in message

ups.com...

Andy writes:

[...]

program.- Hide quoted text -

Andy writes:
Thanks John. You got me on the right track. Here is what I did:

1) clicked on the EZNEC shortcut icon and then on Properties and
Compatibility.
2) Set Compatibility to Windows 98
3) Used Windows Explorer to locate EZMAIN and right clicked , then
on Memory
4) Set Extended Memory to Auto and checked HMS box ( I got this
from the EZNEC manual
when setting it up for Windows NT )
5) Then I closed stuff out and ran EZNEC with no problems so
far.....

I couldn't find any PIF file corresponding to EZNEC, but apparently
the other stuff was good
enough...

Thanks again for getting me started,

Andy W4OAH

A QRZ Trivia Question That Smegma Radio May Find Educational Slow Code Antenna 1 December 12th 06 07:18 PM
New odd question jawod Antenna 5 September 11th 06 06:02 PM
EZNEC Question Scott Antenna 6 July 12th 06 02:52 AM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM