Old March 24th 07, 11:08 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default For the newbie, a FAQ, "What is _REAL_ Ham Radio?"

"pointyhead" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:01:12 GMT, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

The many? THE MANY?! Post the figures that disprove what we all know
the real truth is or give it a rest Judas.

So says the **person** wearing the yellow shirt at Blackpool

All he needed was the banana tree , he would be AT THE TOP

EVEN_BURDZ_HAVE_BRAINZ

Might even be of the 57 variety

;-))

DieSea

Old March 25th 07, 02:11 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:04:17 -0400, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

There are many fine
CB operators. However the service has been trashed by the noticeable few.
All must then suffer the insults engendered by the few.

Indeed they must.

So what is your complaint?

73 de G3NYY

--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

I'll have to ask you to read the entire thread for yourself. I've no reason
or need to repeat everything. However my complaint was that the original
article was derogatory towards both hams and CB operators.

Dee, N8UZE

Old March 25th 07, 10:44 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 25 Mar, 02:11, "Dee Flint" wrote:
I'll have to ask you to read the entire thread for yourself. I've no reason
or need to repeat everything. However my complaint was that the original
article was derogatory towards both hams and CB operators.

It would be difficult to find anybody that _hasn't_ been the target of
G4SDW's paranoid hatemail.

Old March 25th 07, 11:29 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I can best deal with the Childish Broadcast (CB) of
the rather silly and infantile child below by re-iterating one of
the threads of the past few days....

"On a daily basis, this NG is a forum seemingly
for escapees from the school playground, with
gratuitous and offensive personal remarks
originating from even those who have not
been part of a conversation and who could have
no reason, other than uncontrolled infantile
emotions, for interjecting as they do.

Is such public and international demonstrations really
the way forward; the way for PR for the future
of Ham Radio. I say, "No!".

I cannot see how something that is a technical pursuit
with traditions of gentlemanly behaviour could
possibly give way to the childish sneering that is
typical of this NG."

"AF6AY" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 24, 6:30?am, "G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote:
A necessary preface.....

(It is becoming increasingly difficult to fly the flag for
decency and for civilised behaviour in Radio Hammery.
However, there still exists the fundamental basis on
which Ham Radio is based, and that will never die.

This FAQ ("What Is _REAL_ Ham Radio?") will
be regularly published and will not be shouted or bullied
down. It is important that those of a technical bent, who
are the natural seed-corn of Radio Hammery and who
gravitate towards us to be the real novitiate, can
still find us, (and know that we are still here), their fellows.)

Evans, knock it off with this crossposting of pretentious
blabbering. Try confining it to uk.radio.amateur or maybe
rec.radio.amateur.misc. It doesn't belong in HOMEBREW
since it is nothing but YOUR OPINION...an opinion which
"we" have all heard for years with little variance in oratory.

If you are "serious" about this "FAQ" then go to the new
rec.radio.amateur.moderated and post. If you dare. :-(

AF6AY

Old March 25th 07, 11:52 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I disagree. it is very complimentary towards _REAL_ Radio
Hams. However, it if it is derogatory towards those
who are really no more than CBers-masquerading-as-Radio-Hams
(Possibly callsigns in the "N8" series fall into that category?)
then that is good.

Ham Radio is a technical pursuit for gentleman. Those who think
that they are Radio Hams but send their rigs back for repair are
"CBers-masquerading-as-Radio-Hams", no more, no less.

If you are one in that category, then I apologise that you were misled
into thinking that you are a Radio Ham by others who ought to
have known better. We have such others in Britland in the shape
of the RSCB, "The Radio Society for Citizens Band" an organisation
that provides premises for meetings of the British Citizens Band
Confederation.

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..
I doubt he could get it past the moderators. It is derogatory towards
both hams and CB operators.

Dee, N8UZE

Old March 25th 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Here is G4SDW's idea of PR for the hobby: http://archive.thisiswiltshire.co.uk.../10/91923.html

Old March 25th 07, 01:12 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Putting this into its correct perspective, this came about
as the result of a malicious and perjurous complaint made
by Brian Reay, M3OSN, and it is at Brian Reay's door
(and now also the RSCB's door) that any complaints of
Bad PR must be laid.

Brian Reay subjected me and my close family members to
a campaign of harassment wherein he published repeated
racially-aggravated pornographic emails to these NG. He
maintained this campaign over a period exceeding two years.
How his sick-minded obsession was ever relevant to Ham
Radio and to these NG has never been established.

Having put up with this for an extended peiod, I then discovered
that not only was Brian Reay a schoolteacher, but he was publishing
his sick racially-aggravated pornographic emails whilst under
training at a Girls' School.

I did no more than to assert the right of reply in defence when I
asserted that no-one with such a sick-minded history of
international publishing should be a school teacher UNDER
ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

I hold to that view today.

Brian Reay's infantile response to having the tables turned on him
was to make a malicious and perjurous complaint to his fellow
w*nkmasons to allege that I was harassing him rather than the
oher way around which is obvious from the Google archive to
this day.

Mike Gathergood is well aware of these facts, but it must
be apparent to many of you from the way he hangs around
every posting of mine that he is also a sick-minded obsessive.
best ignored.

oups.com...

Old March 25th 07, 01:18 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.local.kent

I have not been able to establish the name and address of the
school in Strood, Kent, where he teaches.

I would be grateful if anyone can furnish this information,so
that I can make representations supported by evidence to
the governors to seek that Brian Reay be dismissed because
of his history of racially-aggravated pornographic publishing.

Old March 25th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

G.A.Evans G4SDW wrote:

Ham Radio is a technical pursuit for gentleman. Those who think
that they are Radio Hams but send their rigs back for repair are
"CBers-masquerading-as-Radio-Hams", no more, no less.

But with today's microprocessor, DSP and firmware laiden transceivers,
would repair be both possible and cost-effective once the radio amateur
has purchased a SMD rework station and expensive test gear, etc, that
would only be used for the one repair, etc?
Old March 25th 07, 04:56 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Leigh" wrote in message

But with today's microprocessor, DSP and firmware laiden transceivers,
would repair be both possible and cost-effective once the radio amateur
has purchased a SMD rework station and expensive test gear, etc, that
would only be used for the one repair, etc?

I've done surface mount repairs and /or modifications in the past without a
SMD rework station so it can be done. I find it a bit more difficult now due
to poor dexterity in my hand but, while I'd not take on a repair for someone
else (in case it goes pear shaped), I'd probably have a try on some thing of
my own- unless it was very high in value. I've picked up one of those
illuminated magnifying lenses and, with practice, you can solder SMD stuff
while looking through that. The key thing, assuming you want to replace a
component, is to get it off the PCB without damaging the pads. For a
multi-legged beast, you can snip the legs and remove them one at a time. A
bit of heat on the body of the package will help if there is any glue under
it. Ball grid arrays are more of a problem.

As regards the DSP side, if that goes bad the repair is probably more
hardware related (ie a bad component) so the firmware doesn't really come
into it. I've not checked, but some of the DSP radios may well use one of
the "off the shelf" DSP devices that you can get the development environment
for. If so, you could write your own code- assuming you Know what you are
doing.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Now your amateur licence is free, why not send at least £15 per year to
support the
Radio Communications Foundation or STELAR?