Old March 25th 07, 04:59 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default For the newbie, a FAQ, "What is _REAL_ Ham Radio?"

wrote in message
news
cost effective does not matter to these types

That is a bit unkind Mark. Not all amateurs can afford to scrap radios that,
in real terms, are beyond economic repair. Equally, "fixing it" is more fun
than buying a new one, or maybe paying someone else to fix it.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Now your amateur licence is free, why not send at least £15 per year to
support the
Radio Communications Foundation or STELAR?

Old March 25th 07, 05:02 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Brian Reay wrote:

Comments noted Brian, especially when I think back to the repairs and
modifcations I used to do with analogue satellite receivers both for SAT
TV and ATV use. Just need a steady hand and fine tip and plenty of patience.

As regards the DSP side, if that goes bad the repair is probably more
hardware related (ie a bad component) so the firmware doesn't really come
into it. I've not checked, but some of the DSP radios may well use one of
the "off the shelf" DSP devices that you can get the development environment
for. If so, you could write your own code- assuming you Know what you are
doing.

Fortunately I prefer non-DSP radios and ones where I can effect a simple
repair - especially Icom 735 and Yaesu FT747 - simple and reliable sets
and very flexible and forgiving with non-fancy aerial systems unlike
some modern sets that 'freak out' when a high SWR is presented.

Thinking of adding DSP to the 747 sometime or maybe trying a PC based
real-time solution.

Leigh...
Old March 25th 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Leigh" wrote in message
Brian Reay wrote:

[...]

Will, the IC756ProIII is a dream and works fine with a simple end fed for
general HF use and a reduced size loaded dipole for 5MHz.

Thinking of adding DSP to the 747 sometime or maybe trying a PC based
real-time solution.

The SDR is a good place to start with this type of thing, there is a wealth
of material around and lots of people experimenting.

Personally, I like a radio with a proper front panel, with knobs you tweak,
switches you push etc.

Old March 26th 07, 09:16 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Expensive test gear?

Most useful is a magnifying glass to look for dry joints
I'd estimate that 90% of rigs given to me to repair
are resolved by optical examination followed by solder
re-flowing.

Soldering irons - to the bottom of one of your smaller bits,
attach a chocolate box connector (& remove the plastic
covering before it melts and fills the shack with toxic fumes!)

To the other half of the chocolate box connector, attach a
range of obscure "bits" of metal that you've fashioned to deal
with the various SMD shapes. Most Useful is an old Henley
"Solon" bit that has a slot filed in it to sit either side of an
SMD R or C.

"SMD rework station"??? Fashion from bits left over from
your Mecaano set - create an overarm with a spring loaded
plunger to bear down onto the component to prevent
tombstoning. Working end of plunger to be wooden, cocktail
stick or chopstick serves nicely. Sacrificial 'cos slowly
burns away. Only once had a problem with resins oozing
out from wood.

Come on, chaps, this is simple mechanical bodging, a trivial
matter for any self-respecting _REAL_ Radio Ham!
(Unless you fail to secure your PCB before rework,
it ain't "Rock It" Science :-) )

"Only used for the one repair"??? Is that a CBer talking? Surely
the essence of _REAL_ Ham Radio is that you're using this
type of equipment all the time? (Not true for a CBer-masquerading-
as-a-Radio-Ham, though!)

"today's microprocessor, DSP and firmware laiden transceivers"? All
_REAL_ Radio Hams thrive on how thing work and how to modify
them!

Indeed, if you're a _REAL_ Radio Ham, then your transceiver will
have been designed, constructed and modified by you, so the
" microprocessor, DSP and firmware" will be your design anyway and
therefore not a problem.

"laiden"????? ITYM "laden". I'd advise you not to seek a job in education
because of that!

"Leigh" wrote in message
G.A.Evans G4SDW wrote:

Ham Radio is a technical pursuit for gentleman. Those who think
that they are Radio Hams but send their rigs back for repair are
"CBers-masquerading-as-Radio-Hams", no more, no less.

But with today's microprocessor, DSP and firmware laiden transceivers,
would repair be both possible and cost-effective once the radio amateur
has purchased a SMD rework station and expensive test gear, etc, that
would only be used for the one repair, etc?

Old March 26th 07, 09:54 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

There's that vacuous sneering about "Big K" again,
slipped in on the penultimate line!

You really are a stupid boy, Brian, and your ongoing public
display of playground behaviour continues to render you
unsuitable to be employed in a school IN ANY CAPACITY.

I have no doubt that your KS3 pupils whom you invoke
time and time again show a greater degree of maturity than
do you.

Grow up, OM.

Old March 26th 07, 10:17 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Repeated 'cos circulation list was sabotaged!

"G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote in message
I can best deal with the Childish Broadcast (CB) of
the rather silly and infantile child below by re-iterating one of
the threads of the past few days....

"On a daily basis, this NG is a forum seemingly
for escapees from the school playground, with
gratuitous and offensive personal remarks
originating from even those who have not
been part of a conversation and who could have
no reason, other than uncontrolled infantile
emotions, for interjecting as they do.

Is such public and international demonstrations really
the way forward; the way for PR for the future
of Ham Radio. I say, "No!".

I cannot see how something that is a technical pursuit
with traditions of gentlemanly behaviour could
possibly give way to the childish sneering that is
typical of this NG."

"AF6AY" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 25, 2:29?am, "G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote:
I can best deal with the Childish Broadcast (CB) of
the rather silly and infantile child below by re-iterating one of
the threads of the past few days....

Knock it off, Evans. You made your point a couple years
ago yet you keep on repeating it in RRAH. Okay, you GOT
ATTENTION. It is a lot less painful than getting a boot in
the face from a bobby while you were being placed under
arrest...as you were in the past.

Len Anderson AF6AY

ex-RA16408336, SSgt USA (1952-1960)

Old March 26th 07, 10:25 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Au contraire! HOMEBREW is possibly the last
bastion of _REAL_ Ham Radio to be found
anywhere on Usenet, and therefore the place
to which intending like-minders will turn.

Therefore, rec.radio.amateur.homebrew is the
IDEAL newsgroup to which the FAQ should not
only be posted, but regularly so!

"AF6AY" wrote in message
oups.com...
Try confining it to uk.radio.amateur or maybe
rec.radio.amateur.misc. It doesn't belong in HOMEBREW

Old March 26th 07, 10:43 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Putting this into its correct perspective, this came about
as the result of a malicious and perjurous complaint made
by Brian Reay, G8OSN, M3OSN, and it is at Brian Reay's door
(and now also the RSCB's door) that any complaints of
Bad PR must be laid.

Brian Reay subjected me and my close family members to
a campaign of harassment wherein he published repeated
racially-aggravated pornographic emails to these NG. He
maintained this campaign over a period exceeding two years.
How his sick-minded obsession was ever relevant to Ham
Radio and to these NG, or how it was ever in response
to anything that I had posted, has never been established.

Having put up with this for an extended peiod, I then discovered
that not only was Brian Reay a schoolteacher, but he was publishing
his sick racially-aggravated pornographic emails whilst under
training at a Girls' School.

I did no more than to assert the right of reply in defence when I
asserted that no-one with such a sick-minded history of
international publishing should be a school teacher UNDER
ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

I hold to that view today.

Brian Reay's infantile response to having the tables turned on him
was to make a malicious and perjurous complaint to his fellow
w*nkmasons to allege that I was harassing him rather than the
oher way around which is obvious from the Google archive to
this day.

Indeed, in the months leading up to his orchestration of my
arrest, Brian Reay chortled on several occasions that he was
deliberately provoking me.

ups.com...

Old March 26th 07, 10:59 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"G.A.Evans G4SDW" wrote:

A necessary preface.....

snip

While I agree with some of what you say about slipping standards,
nevertheless numbers are shrinking and new blood must be encouraged into
the hobby/pastime/service/pursuit, etc, else we will be gradually
whittled away like the dodo until the bands are so empty that
governments will gleefully sell off our slices of the RF spectrum.

Admittedly, some of this new blood might not be of the 'quality' of some
of the old, but among the new intake there are individuals with plenty
of enthusiasm, curiosity, inventiveness and manners to make up for the
minority that might dismay some of the old guard.

I've a feeling that some / most of the coarser new licencees will not
have the staying power and we will not hear of them after a couple of
years.
Old March 26th 07, 11:12 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I disagree totally.

There is not now, nor there has there ever been, a need,
desperate or otherwise, to get "new blood".

There are more licensees today than there were in the late 70's
just prior to the influx of CB hobbyist operators.

If the "new blood" propaganda is allowed to develop, we will
end up with a Mongolian Horde of non-techical turnip-brains,
the perception of which by govt agencies will result in a faster
regulation of the technical freedoms we enjoy.

It is far, far better to proceed with technical seed-corn and to
retain our technical privileges, even with reduced numbers.