Old April 2nd 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Timonium hamfest observation

Hey folks,

What is going on with the Russians selling obviously defective
junk and representing it as first quality good merchandise??

Of course there are dubious characters at hamfests but this was
just over the edge this year!!

Stacks of CDR drives, Hard drives, all marked 'bad' somewhere
on them and marked $5 each or in that area. When asked about the
drives and not pointing out that it is already marked as 'bad'
the guy replies in crappy english "I have not tested all of these
but every one I tried has worked". So I go out and drag my laptop
in and guess what??? Five out of five random drives I selected
failed completely. Some didn't even spin up. Are these guys
dumpster diving outside a factory repair center or is this the
stuff we sent over to Russia to have disassembled for the recycle
value? Well I also tried some RAM chips. Again, the very bags
these things were in were marked 'Fails memory test'. The seller
represented them as 'good pull outs'. They couldn't have been any
worse if they had been struck by lightening. It is one thing to
say to the buyer "I really don't know the condition, you're buying
as-is", or "I haven't tested it, but if there is a problem you may
choose a differant one until you find a good one". These guys were
blatently misrepresenting garbage as good useable merchandise!!!
We went through this with the Asian wave, then came the East Indian
wave, now it's the former Soviet block ripoff artists.
I didn't get any business cards from the guys but I wish I had.
These jokers will kill hamfesting by causing folks to think it is
nothing more than a ripoff field-day for the un-suspecting and I
really think these less than reputable folks should be reported
to the hamfest commities.

Caveat Emptor is one thing, but this was just outright lies on the
part of the seller. Pity those who are just starting out in this
hobby and looking for a bargin and get scammed, buy foriegn nationals
at that!!

I did find some Ram for my laptop, a 6C5 vacuum tube, a 'point
and shoot' temperature reading device, some doorknob capacitors,
a 21 pin Cinch Jones male-female pair, and an external floppy
drive for a Thinkpad. All these items were in perfect condition
and the sellers (who were not Russian) were more than happy to
demonstrate the first-rate quality of those items. Hats off to
the rare breed of honest hamfester!!!!

Old April 2nd 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 2 Apr 2007, gudmundur wrote:

[...]

I've been going to hamfests for 25-35 years. I've had my share of buying
stuff that was said to be good and it wasn't. Or, it was less than what
the guy said was what he thought it was. I also bought stuff that worked
like it should and like the guy said.

Are you sure your test was under reasonable circumstances? There are lots
of hardware incompatibilities, software driver incompatibilities/glitches,
and they could have been marked "bad" because someone else didn't test
them or install them properly. If you have bad vibes about a deal, don't
buy the stuff. If you saw a lot of stuff marked "bad" why didn't you tell
them "Hey, this word means it will not work, now why do you think its
good?"

I bought computer stuff from thrift stores over the years (monitors and
boxes) and 2/3 of the stuff works just fine, the rest goes into the
garbage can. In the end, its the price of very cheap computer stuff. 1/3
has to go to the garbage can.

I'd rather concentrate on the overall picture (I was at Timmonium,
Saturday) and I thought the tailgater population and the covered space
population was down about 20% from what I expected.

Anyone go both days? Hamfests have been in a slow downward trend for
about the period when the internet started getting popular.

Old April 4th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I'm astonished by the naivity of this!

Why would you think that a part or bag of parts marked "bad" should really
be good, and that you should be getting good parts for the price of bad
ones? This didn't raise any red flags for you? If you went to the
supermarket and found a piece of meat that was marked 2 weeks out of date,
would you take a chance on it because the merchant said he ate some last
night and he didn't get sick? Even if the seller said that most parts that
he tested were good, the fact remains that the parts were marked "bad". If
you bought parts marked "bad" and they really were bad, then the only
questionable part of the transaction is whether you paid too much.

There's an old saying that seems to apply he "Who's more of a fool, the
fool or the fool who follows the fool?". This isn't a matter of deceitful
Asians or East Indians, or Russians, it's a matter fools rushing in where
others fear to tread.

Joe
W3JDR

Old April 4th 07, 12:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

W3JDR wrote:
There's an old saying that seems to apply he "Who's more of a fool, the
fool or the fool who follows the fool?". This isn't a matter of deceitful
Asians or East Indians, or Russians, it's a matter fools rushing in where
others fear to tread.

I knew a guy who used to go around to hamfests, fleamarkets and such things
buying drives that were bad. He had memorized a list of manufacuturers and
their date codes that were being repaired under warranty, athough there
was no recepit, etc. They warrantied the drives for X years and if you
called/emailed them with the serial number for a drive they would
replace it free if those X years had yet to expire from the date of
manufacuture.

I of course had no such luck, the one drive I bought from a ham at a hamfest
with a warranty was dead. He gave me a card with his phone number on it, the
phone was never answered. :-(

Other people also buy the drives beacuse without any testing there is a
50-50 chance it's circutry card on the drive or the mechanics. If you can
inspect them carefully, or know the reputation of certain models, you can
imporve the odds. If you buy enough drives cheaply, you can mix and match
parts and get working drives out of them.

Memory is also a good bet, if you have the correct tools and skills, and
get them cheap enough. Memory is discarded if one chip (of 8) or more is
bad, so if you buy two units (SIMMs or DIMMs) there is a good chance
you will get 8 working chips out of them. You need a diagnostic tool that
will pinpoint the bad chip, and the skills to remove them and re-install
good ones.

Obviously the skills are not commonplace and the tools are expensive,
but if you do enough, you can learn to do it easily and pay for a set
of tools.

Since just about everyone I know has a box full of "dead" RAM (except
people who don't fix their own or others computers, or just throw it out),
you could get all you need for next to nothing pretty quick.

So there is a good market for bad computer parts, but not a good chance
of buying one and having it be good.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

an observation an old friend Policy 0 January 24th 06 02:18 AM
A sad observation [email protected] Shortwave 17 April 19th 05 10:37 AM
Well, I know I'm new here, but I have made an observation..... M-Tech CB 13 August 23rd 04 05:06 PM
Interesting observation Deep-river Jim CB 17 June 29th 04 04:00 PM