Old May 15th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Homebrew Keyer

Does anyone have a schematic for a nice homebrew keyer that can be made for
a reasonable price. I would like to make my own.
Thanks,

Jim Barnard, KI4VGK

Old May 15th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Not a schematic, but how about a kit?
http://www.idiompress.com/cmos4.html

Old May 15th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Nowadays, most keyers are nothing more than a micrcontroller, usually a PIC,
a battery, a couple of jacks, and some sort of interface, usually a
pushbutton. There must be a hundred designs out there, but they all boil
down to the same thing. It used to be that the PIC was relatively expensive
($6 or $7) but nowadays, a PIC with more than enough juice for non-memory
keyer is $1.01 at Newark. For a memory keyer, you might have to get close
to $2. Still way less than the shipping.

A quick google reveals
http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/pic_key.html
http://www.qrpis.org/~k3ng/pic/pic_keyer_2.html
http://www.vk1od.net/pik/pik.htm

Far Circuits has a PC board, K1EL sells programmed chips. Google is your
friend!

Old May 15th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

http://ham2.cc.fer.hr/9a5anb/keyer/index.html

Old June 9th 07, 06:15 PM
Junior Member

Location: Washington
Smile

Jim,

I have a PK-3 Keyer I got from Jackon Harbor Press as kit to use in a 10 Meter Beacon. But I ended up using a KID Beacon ID controller for the beacon instead. The PK-3 is a iambic keyer with 2 memories plus callsign memory, side-tone, auto CQ, beacon, A/B modes, 5-39 WPM, low current, Tick compatable. It uses a 12CE674 PIC keyer chip. I built and wired the PC board but never installed the PIC chip. I paid $19.95 plus shipping for it. I've never used it and am not going to. If you are interested in it I'll ship to you for $15.00. That's $10 for the keyer and $5 to cover the cost of shipping USPS Priority Mail.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barnard View Post