Old August 20th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default 1500w Mobile

It's that mad time of year.

Wanting to move up from my current Metron mobile amp what thoughts on
basic layout of a 14v DC powered amp that could run the full legal
limit?

Would you run say, 16 Toshiba 2SC2879 devices (within their total
dissipation specs) to keep IMD halfway reasonable or would you
consider an on-board switcher PSU up to say 80-100v to use some more
modern FET's. Is this at all feasable?

Of course a 'stiff' DC supply is required whichever way you go and the
extra few dB in signal is questionable as to whether it's worth all
the trouble.

I think a Hi-Q antenna would handle the power so that's not a concern.

Your thoughts on "Son of Metron".

Phil G4ZOW

Old August 20th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hi Fred,

I hear what you say but I really don't wish to tow anything let alone
a genny.

I've experience with high output charging systems and split charging
circuitry and have no problems supplying a 'stiff' 14v at a few
hundred amps.

About the only good thing about running QRO on sideband is that the
'average' current drain is really not that high, even with say 50%
efficiency out of the amp. Peak current is pretty high but a couple of
decent quality batteries with a good charging system see that as no
real pain.

2 X 0 or 4 X 0 welding cable is the order of the day for minimal
voltage drop and a Leece or Electrodyne alternator.

Anyhow, let's see what others have to say.

Thanks again.

Phil G4ZOW

Old August 21st 07, 07:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:05:13 -0700, John Smith I

Your thoughts on "Son of Metron".

Phil G4ZOW

Fill the trunk with batteries, run two 100 amp alternators in parallel,
solid state batteries switch for the batteries and buy plenty of 0 or 00
stranded wire and expect for a lot more people to hear you then you can
hear ... blah, blah, blah.

Put the extra batteries in series, so you can use some decent
amplifiers requiring 60-100 V. Since it is unlikely that you are going
to transmit all the time, the 12/60 V battery charger inverter can be
rated at a lower power level.

While it may be possible to build mobile antennas that efficiently
radiates most of the transmitter power at VHF/UHF and perhaps on the
upper HF bands, the efficiency of a mobile antenna on the lower HF
bands is very bad, most of the power would be dissipated in the
antenna structures.

On lower HF bands, the car body is not a sufficient ground plane, so
there might be high RF voltages in the car body compared to ground,
which could cause nasty RF-burns if operated on a parking lot and
someone touches the body of the car. Also the modern electronics in
most cars might not work in such environment.

Paul OH3LWR

Old August 21st 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

You can run anything you want as long as you have the resources. Some 50+
years ago, in an old Radio Handbook (Bill Orr?), there was (I think) a
discussion and photographs of a 1kw SSB transceiver and it was using a
water-cooled jacketed metal ceramic tube and for extra power, a three
phase arc welder generator under the hood. The rest was a piece of cake.

P.S. the circuitry was pretty simple, but watch out for the water cooling
and pump and reservoir (not for the faint of heart).

===== no change to below, included for reference and context =====

Old August 22nd 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Thanks for the feedback, however I'm not so much interested in
charging systems as your views on generating the RF power out of solid
state devices.

Roger,

I appreciate the advantages of running higher voltage devices but
going that route I'd prefer to convert from 14 up to at least 50v.

Do you have details of your amp anywhere up on a web page by chance.

I believe G3YXM runs a similar system.

Anyone of you into high power solid state RF design?

Phil G4ZOW

Old August 23rd 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Aug 22, 5:56 am, Transmitter Man wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, however I'm not so much interested in
charging systems as your views on generating the RF power out of solid
state devices.

Roger,

I appreciate the advantages of running higher voltage devices but
going that route I'd prefer to convert from 14 up to at least 50v.

Do you have details of your amp anywhere up on a web page by chance.

I believe G3YXM runs a similar system.

Anyone of you into high power solid state RF design?

Phil G4ZOW

Phil, google on 'cb high power keydown shootout pills', or similar
combinations..

Just for a hint start with:
http://www.davemade.com/mobile.htm
and

It's a big world and most of us hams have tunnel vision...

denny

Old August 24th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Personally I doubt very much your Engine Management Control Unit will
stand up to the stray RF. ;-)

Larry VE7EA