Old October 27th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default UHF ATV converter

All,

To transmit a video signal on a UHF or cable television channel
(signal will be low power and transmitted along a shielded wire to
other equipment), is all I need to do is mix an baseband video signal
(S-video) with the carrier of the channel in question? Or, is there
something more I need to do?

Old October 28th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 12:41:06 -0700, eternalsquire wrote:
To transmit a video signal on a UHF or cable television channel
(signal will be low power and transmitted along a shielded wire to
other equipment), is all I need to do is mix an baseband video signal
(S-video) with the carrier of the channel in question? Or, is there
something more I need to do?

S-video is a component signal - it splits the chroma and luma. You're
going to have to reassemble them before you can modulate it on a RF
carrier, if you want a standard TV to receive it.

I don't think most amateur TV stations use a VSB lower-sideband filter.
They seem to work OK - though they're generally going for legibility, not
high picture quality!

The other suggestion, that you use a modulator from an old VCR, is a good
one. In America that'll be VHF instead of UHF.

Old October 28th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Doug Smith W9WI ) writes:

I don't think most amateur TV stations use a VSB lower-sideband filter.
They seem to work OK - though they're generally going for legibility, not
high picture quality!

The other suggestion, that you use a modulator from an old VCR, is a good
one. In America that'll be VHF instead of UHF.

I don't know what's being used nowadays, but it is interesting how it
has been in the past.

Up till 1976, pretty much all articles about ATV would be about high
level modulating an existing transmitter. Do it that way, and the
only way to get VSB is with a filter that can tolerate the power level.

The one exception I've seen was an early sixties article in QST where the
author (a QST staffer if I recall) took the modulated RF output of a
surveillance camera and fed it into an upconverter to get up to UHF.
Likely that wasn't used much since it was more complicated.

Then in 1976, there was an article in "Ham Radio" about modulating
an oscillator running at about 50MHz, and then converting it up
and using a linear amplfication chain. More complicated but likely
put out a better signal than most ATV transmitters at the time. I
seem to recall there was even an LC VSB filter at the "IF" frequency.

I would have thought by now it had switched over to that sort of
thing, but I don't really know.

A lot or most of those RF modulators I've looked at have an SAW
filter, so I assume the output is close to VSB. Feed it into a
mixer stage, then some stages of linear amplification and there
you go.

Michael VE2BVW

Old October 29th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Oct 27, 10:33 pm, (Michael Black) wrote:
Doug Smith W9WI ) writes:

[...]

I am actually trying to send the output of a video card to a CATV
channel.
I have VGA, S-Video, and RCA TV-out for choices.

Old October 30th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Oct 29, 9:14 pm, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
wrote:
I am actually trying to send the output of a video card to a CATV
channel.
I have VGA, S-Video, and RCA TV-out for choices.

I don't know where you are, but since you are posting from comcast, I'll
hazzard a guess that you are in the U.S.

My suggestion to you is to go to Radio Shack, or a store similar to what
they used to be and buy a modulator for a video game or DVD player.
You may be able to find one at a second hand sale, Salvation Army,
Goodwill, etc.

Take the composite output (RCA socket TV-out) and plug it into the
modulator and be done.

The VHF ones are usually fixed to channel 3 and 4 (with a switch), the
UHF ones are usualy tunable, but you may be able to "tweak" them.

Geoff.`

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog athttp://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

I want to build a tunable UHF modulator for myself. If I wanted to
be an appliance
operator I would not be posting on this newsgroup.

TMC 591 SSB Converter Larry McGee Boatanchors 2 September 15th 07 03:52 AM
Converter Rich Swap 0 December 25th 05 12:30 AM
i'm new at the sw game. i just bought a used yachtboy including ac converter. the converter is 6volt but the radio takes 9volt? [email protected] Shortwave 3 July 27th 05 07:22 PM
DC-DC up converter 12v-->24v 500 mA Rightrik Homebrew 20 May 11th 05 01:59 AM
Help with a AM to FM converter Green Hornet Equipment 4 August 10th 04 01:59 AM