Old September 10th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default QST Archive

Interesting announcement on the ARRL web site. They have put online an
archive of QSTs from 1915 to 2004. If you are a member you can search
for and download as a pdf any article without additional cost.

Just for fun I found the article from January 1956 that described my
first transmitter.
John

Old September 11th 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

John Siegel wrote:
Interesting announcement on the ARRL web site. They have put online an
archive of QSTs from 1915 to 2004. If you are a member you can search
for and download as a pdf any article without additional cost.

Just for fun I found the article from January 1956 that described my
first transmitter.
John

Do you have a link to it? I can't find it on the site.

Steve H
Old September 11th 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Do you have a link to it? I can't find it on the site.

Steve - There is a link within a news story on the first page. Way down
near the bottom.

Rick

Old September 11th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Rick wrote:
Do you have a link to it? I can't find it on the site.

Steve - There is a link within a news story on the first page. Way down
near the bottom.

Rick

Many thanks. I build a lot of valve kit and QST was full of ideas in
the 50's and 60's. I buy back issues when I see them at hamfests but
you don't often see them in the UK.

steve h
Old September 11th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sep 10, 6:54*pm, John Siegel wrote:
Interesting announcement on the ARRL web site. *They have put online an
archive of QSTs from 1915 to 2004. If you are a member you can search
for and download as a pdf any article without additional cost.

Just for fun I found the article from January 1956 that described my
first transmitter.

Cool, way cool!

I have roughly several hundred often moldy issues of QST's on my
shelves from the 40's through the 70's. Maybe the basement will smell
a little better now that I don't need them :-).

Having QEX online would be nice too... (hint, hint).

The sure way the ARRL can keep me as a member is to continue offering
this service to their members!

Tim N3QE

Old September 11th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:54:03 -0400, John Siegel wrote:
Interesting announcement on the ARRL web site. They have put online an
archive of QSTs from 1915 to 2004. If you are a member you can search
for and download as a pdf any article without additional cost.

Just for fun I found the article from January 1956 that described my
first transmitter.

Did anyone get "QST: Annual Index" to pull up the annual index for any
issue of QST? Returns nothing here _and_ it also highlights (selects)
the "QEX: Annual Index" and "Ham Radio: Annual Index" entries.

And, why no "QST: Table of Contents"!!

It's easy to trawl through various _columns_ in QST. But, unless you
have a pretty good idea what the title is, or who the author was,
there's no easy way to locate a feature article.

I would assume the _intent_ of putting all this up on the ARRL web site
is for ARRL Members to find material in old issues of QST. Why doesn't
the _implementation__ demonstrate this? At least give us the Annual
Index(es) and the TOCs.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Old September 11th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 11 Sep 2008 14:48:47 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

[...]

I have about 80 years worth of the QST on CD collection. The tool I
use is the ARRL Periodicals Archive and Search
http://www.arrl.org/members-only/qqnsearch.html

73 de n4jvp
Old September 11th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sep 11, 10:48*am, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
Did anyone get "QST: Annual Index" to pull up the annual index for any
issue of QST? *Returns nothing here _and_ it also highlights (selects)
the "QEX: Annual Index" and "Ham Radio: Annual Index" entries.

And, why no "QST: Table of Contents"!!

It's easy to trawl through various _columns_ in QST. *But, unless you
have a pretty good idea what the title is, or who the author was,
there's no easy way to locate a feature article.

I would assume the _intent_ of putting all this up on the ARRL web site
is for ARRL Members to find material in old issues of QST. *Why doesn't
the _implementation__ demonstrate this? *At least give us the Annual
Index(es) and the TOCs.

If you want an annual index, you type in the year, select the
magazine, set the month to any, and it lists all the articles for that
year.

About locating a feature article... depending on the nature of the
article there are keywords like "Construction Project",
"Modification", "Homebrew", "QRP", In between title search and
keyword search and author search, I've been able to find all the
articles that I've been looking for.

Could they improve the searching ability? Oh yeah, sure. I have a
freaking hardware-store orgasm every time I go to http://www.mcmaster.com/
just give it a try, I can start typing "Gear Puller" in the search box
and even before I finish the word puller, I have the catalog page in
front of me with pictures of all the relevant dimensions and types.
That's really good! I've used a lot of web-based search utilities and
I'd rank the ARRL QST online index/search engine as above average but
nowhere near the best.

Tim. N3QE

GEO SPEAK ARCHIVE Steveo CB 0 December 19th 04 09:00 PM
GEO SPEAK ARCHIVE Steveo CB 0 December 17th 04 03:36 AM
Does X-No-Archive work? Randy CB 1 January 15th 04 05:03 AM
The Italian HF Archive Andrea Broadcasting 0 December 22nd 03 03:50 PM
Looking for H-P archive Bob G. Mahrenholz Boatanchors 2 December 6th 03 12:19 AM