Old March 21st 09, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Icom R1500 USB driver, intermittent, audio dead

Hello Folks,

Has anyone ever had this happen and maybe knows what could be wrong?

The Icom R1500 behaves like a PCR1500 when controlled via the PC. Or so
says Icom. When I try to control it through the virtual COM3 port via
USB it seems to have lots of data traffic jams. If I turn the "virtual"
dial too fast the R1500 seems to lag. Sometimes it doesn't react at all
and seconds later starts slowly tuning through all the frequencies I had
chosen. This can go on for half a minute until it has trundled out.

Audio is supposed to go via the same USB cable but not as a serial COM
port. Well, that part doesn't work at all, no audio.

--
73, Joerg
Old March 21st 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 20, 8:07*pm, Joerg
wrote:
Hello Folks,

Has anyone ever had this happen and maybe knows what could be wrong?

The Icom R1500 behaves like a PCR1500 when controlled via the PC. Or so
says Icom. When I try to control it through the virtual COM3 port via
USB it seems to have lots of data traffic jams. If I turn the "virtual"
dial too fast the R1500 seems to lag. Sometimes it doesn't react at all
and seconds later starts slowly tuning through all the frequencies I had
chosen. This can go on for half a minute until it has trundled out.

Audio is supposed to go via the same USB cable but not as a serial COM
port. Well, that part doesn't work at all, no audio.

--
73, Joerg

This sounds like a problem I had when I wrote an ICOM radio control
program in Visual Basic.
What was happening to me was the computer was sending control data for
every click of the wheel. The radio had trouble responding to this
much data. I changed the way the radio was tuned by installing virtual
buttons over and under each digit of thee display. Clicking on one of
these buttons would increase/decrease the frequency by
10,100,1000.....Hz.

Something that may cause a similar problem might be if the baud rate
is not set high enough on the radio. I believe on mine you could
select 2400 or 9600 baud. My software worked much better at 9600 baud.
At a slower baud rate I could click a frequency increase buton 3 times
then look at my radio and see them change the radio there was so much
delay.

Jimmie
Old March 21st 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 20, 8:07 pm, Joerg
wrote:
[...]

I think the default baud rate of the R1500 is 38400 baud. Should be
plenty. But you could be right, there may be a buffer overflow somewhere
and then it chokes. Sometimes when it has finally trundled out it sits
at the final frequency but the mode didn't switch.

All I really want to do is use the set as a spectrum analyzer, at least
most of the time. And I am really wondering why the USB packet data
doesn't work at all.

--
73, Joerg
Old March 21st 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 21, 5:28*pm, Joerg
wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 20, 8:07 pm, Joerg
wrote:
[...]

73, Joerg- Hide quoted text -

Yes, Sorry I wasnt thinking about it being USB and it sounded so much
like the problem I had. I wrote the program before USB ports were
around.
Have you tried another computer, remember you are running Windoze.
I was thinking of getting one of those radios as I listen a lot more
than Im on the air. The earilest radio I have is nearly 20 years old
huge and clunky. Besides the computer interface not working as
expected what do you thin of the radio?

Jimmie
Old March 21st 09, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 21, 5:28 pm, Joerg
wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 20, 8:07 pm, Joerg
wrote:
[...]

Well, it is USB but inside is a bridge. One data stream is serial and
(via the driver) the PC sees that as a regular COM port. The other part
is a USB packet stream. Or, in my case, should have been. Both via the
same USB plug.

Have you tried another computer, remember you are running Windoze.
I was thinking of getting one of those radios as I listen a lot more
than Im on the air. The earilest radio I have is nearly 20 years old
huge and clunky. Besides the computer interface not working as
expected what do you thin of the radio?

It's pretty good. Does have some issues with very strong signals, I have
some TV stations burst into non-TV VHF, for example. Sensitivity above a
GHz or so is pretty poor but there ain't much there anyhow. The hardware
seems ok but the software that Icom supplied is not, IMHO. Also, this
radio could be a really nice spectrum analyzer but Icom doesn't seem to
understand the market potential there. Thinking outside the box may not
be their strength. So WinRadio is going to eat their lunch in that domain.

I bought it at AES. I'd go for the best price, "bonus" software such as
Bonito is IMHO not worth it.

--
73, Joerg

Intermittent raspy signals on ICOM 735 ? Larry Gagnon Equipment 4 January 29th 08 06:57 PM
Intermittent raspy signals on ICOM 735 ? Larry Gagnon Homebrew 2 January 29th 08 06:55 AM
Audio driver transformers [email protected] Boatanchors 5 March 6th 06 08:00 PM
New scanner Icom IC-R1500 bla Scanner 0 November 17th 05 08:50 PM
FA: UTC CG-51AX Tube Audio Driver Xfrmr tw Swap 0 December 7th 04 07:00 AM