Old July 25th 11, 07:00 PM
Junior Member

Default 230.4 kbps Transceiver

Hello,

I'm a student participating in a cubesat program at my university. I'm currently helping them design and set up a ground station for use in our mission. The problem we have run into is finding a 2 m transceiver that has a data rate of 230.4 kbps. From my research and understanding, there aren't any transceivers that perform at this data rate. I believe I will need to somehow modify a 2 m transceiver to perform at this data rate. Has anyone had experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old July 28th 11, 04:26 PM
Junior Member

How do you plan to do that and comply with FCC regulations?
Old July 28th 11, 08:59 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4kqz View Post
How do you plan to do that and comply with FCC regulations?
What do you mean? Are we not complying with FCC regulations?
Old July 29th 11, 06:33 PM
Junior Member

In amateur radio at that data rate you will significantly exceed the FCC specifications. That's one good reason why you were not successful finding any commercial transceivers that will do what you need. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head but you can take a look at Part 97 to see the specs and you should also take a look at other applicable FCC regulations related to your setup. You'll need to look at allowable field strengths, restricted frequencies, etc. Depending on your frequency of operation you may be fine designing and building something that will work but that's a high data rate to have to deal with. Good luck with your project. Hope it all goes well. When I was in engineering school almost 40 years ago we didn't have projects as neat as this to do!
Old July 29th 11, 06:55 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4kqz View Post
In amateur radio at that data rate you will significantly exceed the FCC specifications. That's one good reason why you were not successful finding any commercial transceivers that will do what you need. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head but you can take a look at Part 97 to see the specs and you should also take a look at other applicable FCC regulations related to your setup. You'll need to look at allowable field strengths, restricted frequencies, etc. Depending on your frequency of operation you may be fine designing and building something that will work but that's a high data rate to have to deal with. Good luck with your project. Hope it all goes well. When I was in engineering school almost 40 years ago we didn't have projects as neat as this to do!
I will definitely take a look at part 97 again. Thank you for the heads up! I appreciate your input.