Old September 16th 11, 11:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Location: helensville new zealand
Default Anyone with experience of the VK5BR noise canceller?

clifford wright wrote in
:

Good day all!
My latest build is a version of the VK5BR noise cancellor.
So far (using different toroid cores from those specified) I have got
about 3 "S" points of noise reduction.
I am expecting a shipment of cores from Amidon in the next few days
and will try the final version with 2 FT50-75 cores as specifid in the
later "Amateur Radio" article.
Basically though I am quite pleased with it. It means more
adjustments, but in a rural location, but with bad power line noise,
it seems to help. FYI, Don't go by the "radio communication" circuit.
It has several errors. Look up VK5BR's own site with all the
corrections. It would be very intersting to hear of others experience
with this gadget. Anyone else made one?
Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA

Well the unit is all operating now with the proper ferrite core
transformers.
Results vary with band but on 7 MHz I an getting about 20 dB reduction in
background QRN. 14 MHz is not quite as marked but still about 15 dB.
Quite worthwhile! But one has to remember that this circuit reduces the
LOCAL noise background not ionispheric noise or QRM.
Overall I would recommend it to those troubled by electrical noise.
However I do have some reservations about the Low Q chokes used as front
end tuned circuits. I suspect that the phase shift one needs is not as
accurately obtained and it might work better with some high Q toroids in
their place. That will be tried next as soon as they arrive.
Another thing- Does anyone know of a source of adapters from surface
mountto DIL IC's. This is becoming more and more necessary as newer chips
are NOT being produced in DIL packages. I've had a lot of trouble with a
motor controller chip for an electric bicycle which was 24 pin Surface
mount only.
Clifford wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA.
Old September 16th 11, 01:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

clifford wright wrote in
:

clifford wright wrote in
:

[...]

There are a couple of adapter board vendors out ther. Unfortunately,
they typically cost more than the IC's. Digikey sells "surfboards", and
there are also these guys:

http://www.adapt-plus.com/products/a...smt_board.html

http://www.schmartboard.com/index.as...mttodip&id=450

Doug White
Old September 17th 11, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Location: helensville new zealand

Doug White wrote in
:

Thanks Doug I will follow that up.
After all the chips only cost $5 each so paying up to $10
for an adapter wouldn't be too high a price to pay, it saves so much
trouble. I'm 71 and I surprised myself in that, I was, in the end able to
wire all 24 pins. I'll have to redo a few though and I'm very concerned
about the durability of the joints under vibration as it is an electric
bike controller for a BLDC sensorless electric motor.

Atec77. I'm a bit puzzled about your response!
The whole idea of the system is to reduce the QRN we get around here from
nearby elderly 11 Kv power lines above ground.
W have underground power in our subdivision but the crud is (We have tested
it) radiated from the lines themselves.
Obviously it is MUCH easier to null out local stuff like this than randomly
phased and levelled long distance signals. That is what VK5BR set out to
do, with some success.
When I have my new delivery of toroids I will try out my theory on the
tuned phase shift network on the noise amplifier. If there is a notable
difference I'll post it here.
Best Regards Clifford Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA.
Old September 18th 11, 06:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 18/09/2011 11:37 AM, atec77 wrote:
On 17/09/2011 1:08 PM, clifford wright wrote:
Doug wrote in
:

Thanks Doug I will follow that up.
After all the chips only cost $5 each so paying up to $10
for an adapter wouldn't be too high a price to pay, it saves so much
trouble. I'm 71 and I surprised myself in that, I was, in the end able to
wire all 24 pins. I'll have to redo a few though and I'm very concerned
about the durability of the joints under vibration as it is an electric
bike controller for a BLDC sensorless electric motor.

Atec77. I'm a bit puzzled about your response!

Coincidently scan ebay for one of these , building one is cheap enough
and my copy works better than I expected

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...amps/3541.html
Old September 20th 11, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

atec77 wrote in :

[...]

My question relates to the qrm you accept , we recently solved a
problem here with an HT line which was determined by various means to
be at fault . The power company refused to consider their spark
transmitter line was at fault but after taking legal advice and making
formal complaint they fixed the problem replacing some ceramics
dropping the qrm some 3 to 4 s points and oddly the incoming 240vac
got much cleaner . You do as an individual have rights so although
laudable in the attempt
to remove the noise ( and I admit I have not been studying the
discussion) I don't remember mention of your complaints process , feel
free to refresh my memory if you wish , once sourced the problem as
you discovered may be addressed by various methods , personally I have
several tx and rx antennas which when switched between various loop
and wires is very successful in assisting communications plus the use
of dsp filtering has altered the radio experience considerably ,VA3AGM
did some very useful work which is inexpensive and works very well
with my sdr and may be used equally with almost any radio you desire .
Personally I don't particularly like digital process and revel in the
audio on my KWM2 and AWA but sometimes have little choice , so maybe I
can help ?

Ah now I understand! Well both my neighbouring fellow ham and I had
already follwed this up as far as we could go, Indeed we did get quite an
improvement on the original situation. We had the radio inspectors from
Auckland out here twice and weny out on a survey with them by car, with a
whole lot of gear to find tha sources of the interference.
This resulted in a reduction from S8 on 40 M down to about S5/6. The
trouble is that I have always been interested in weak signal work on 20
when I work the Antipodes of the Auckland area (Spain and the Western
Mediterranean) when the band is apparently very dead. VK5BR's device got
the noise down almost as much again and I have hopes of an improved and
higher Q phasing network imprving on that.
BTW my fellow ham actually works for one of the local power companies!
NOT our local one unfortunately!
Of course out here in the country we always have the dreaded electric
fences clicking in the background!
As to aerials. Well I have a reasonable QTH near the top of a hill, but
as I have other hobbies, including amateur astronomy I don't have
unlimited space (the observatory has to go somewhere).
So I have a G5RV with proper open wire feeders and the mast that supports
it is tuned to behave as a 5/8 wave vertical on 20m as well.
Overall I would say that the vertical is about 4 Decibels worse than the
G5RV as far as noise pickup is concerned.
My noise antenna runs along the top of a fence below the G5RV for about
3/4 of a wavelength at 14 MHz.
As an old timer I'm afraid that I am not very enamoured of digital radio
, it's OK in synthesisers etc but doing it all in software takes all the
"human" interface out for me. I still use a 1918 morse key for example.
Some of the gear I have seen lately, you might just as well get on the
internet!!! However I still build a lot of my own gear and the commercial
stuff I use has been heavily modified,improved and upgraded.
73's Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA

Old October 13th 11, 11:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

atec77 wrote in :

[...]

Follow up to VK5BR noise canceller as promised.
Well it is all going quite well. The input coils have link windings to
match the input to 50 Ohms and are all wound on the appropriate Amidon
toroids.
Works very well against local QRN on 3.5/7 and 10 MHZ bands.
Not as effective on 14, 18 and 21 Mhz. However I suspect that this might
be partially due to the ferrite grade used in the rf transformers.
Amidon only specify it up to 15 Mhz and I am going to try a grade specified
to 30MHz when I can get some in. BTW I have used the later circuit with 2
transformers to reduce rf losses. The RX/TX circuit shown works well and
doesn't seem to cause any damage to the unit with 200 watts going to the
antenna.
Altogether a very interesting circuit and worth while for those doing weak
signal work, or in a very bad QTH.
One major point however. If you use a vertical and have a horizontal noise
pickup antenna you may well find it very ineffective. Probably it
overwhelms the adjustment range of the RF phasing control, but I have not
determined this yet.
Give it a try if you have problems.
73's Cliff Wright Helensville ZL1BDA ex G3NIA NZVRS

Noise canceller advice gil Equipment 12 November 20th 04 02:28 PM
Noise canceller advice gil Equipment 0 November 16th 04 02:25 AM
FS Timewave ANC-4 Noise canceller mike nelson Equipment 0 March 5th 04 12:55 AM
FS Timewave ANC-4 Noise canceller mike nelson Equipment 0 March 5th 04 12:55 AM
FA Antenna Noise Canceller CMH Swap 0 January 31st 04 09:40 AM