Old November 22nd 11, 08:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Vibrator power supply

On 11/21/2011 06:34 PM, Michael Black wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011, Howard Eisenhauer wrote:

NOS vibrators are avaialble from Leeds Radio-

http://leedsradio.com/parts-odds.html

Hey, weren't they just featured in the New York Times?

Michael VE2BVW

Yes, I posted the link here a few days ago
Old November 23rd 11, 10:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Nov 4, 11:17*am, JIMMIE wrote:
I came by what appears to be a power supply module from some old
military gear. It uses a synchronous vibrator unless my analysis of
the circuit it way off. My plan is to build a circuit to replace the
vibrator with a couple of power FETs driven by a 555 osc and a bridge
rectfier to handle rectification of the output. I was wondering if
there were any circuit designs around before I started to reinvent the
wheel. Also what freqency do they use. Seems like I heard 100Hz at one
time but I dont trust my memory on something I learned 40 years ago.
Any help would be much appreciate.

Jimmie

Hey OM:

Don't use a 555 use a TL494. A 555 has no control of the leading and
trailing edge of the so called square wave. /while one FET is going
off the other FET will come on. Towit the off time of most power FET's
is longer that the on time, thus the FET that you want to turn off
will still be on when the FET that you want on comes on thus for a
time both FET's will be on. Been there done that.

All you need is a power FET bridge, 4 FET drivers and the controller.

back in the day we used to make our own vibrator supplies , and now
with neo magnets out there I can keep the arcing down to nothing and
Suppressor diodes to keep the spikes down, the diodes and magnets they
didn't use back in the day 'cause they were to costly, all they could
use was buffer capacitors.

73 OM
de n8zu

Old November 24th 11, 07:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"raypsi" wrote in message
On Nov 4, 11:17 am, JIMMIE wrote:
I came by what appears to be a power supply module from some old
military gear. It uses a synchronous vibrator unless my analysis of
the circuit it way off. My plan is to build a circuit to replace the
vibrator with a couple of power FETs driven by a 555 osc and a bridge
rectfier to handle rectification of the output. I was wondering if
there were any circuit designs around before I started to reinvent the
wheel. Also what freqency do they use. Seems like I heard 100Hz at one
time but I dont trust my memory on something I learned 40 years ago.
Any help would be much appreciate.

Jimmie

A lot of old marine electronics used 60Hz vibrators that worked well
with
transformers designed for 60Hz service. Some of those transformers
actually had primary windings or taps on the primary windings that
matched common 117vac, 60Hz supplies.
Although the cheap, crimped cans (on the vibrators) was ugly to open,
they could be opened and the vibrator repaired. Most had burned or
welded closed points. The points were often good for one or two
filings or dressings before the point of no return. Putting the can back
on was a little messy, but hey, beauty was not usually important.

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ