Old July 15th 13, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default NiCAD battery pack feature?

The 18 volt battery for my hedge trimmer has died. I took the pack apart to
check on the size of the batteries and found something strange. Cemented to
the top and bottom of the batteries is a layer about one-half millimeter
thick of what appears to be layers of thin films. The films are flakey,
somewhat like mica, and have a metallic appearance.

Any idea what that might be?

Old July 16th 13, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
et...
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 07:21:25 -0700, garyr wrote:
The 18 volt battery for my hedge trimmer has died. I took the pack apart
check on the size of the batteries and found something strange. Cemented
the top and bottom of the batteries is a layer about one-half millimeter
thick of what appears to be layers of thin films. The films are flakey,
somewhat like mica, and have a metallic appearance.

Any idea what that might be?

Photo?

I don't think a photo would tell you very much. From a short distance it
resembles slightly crumpled aluminum foil. At first I thought they were
layers of metalized plastic film, but closer inspection ruled that out.
Could it be some sort of thermal conductor which would attempt to even out
the temperature of the cells?

Old July 16th 13, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 7/15/2013 8:12 PM, garyr wrote:
"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
et...
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 07:21:25 -0700, garyr wrote:
The 18 volt battery for my hedge trimmer has died. I took the pack apart
check on the size of the batteries and found something strange. Cemented
the top and bottom of the batteries is a layer about one-half millimeter
thick of what appears to be layers of thin films. The films are flakey,
somewhat like mica, and have a metallic appearance.

Any idea what that might be?

Photo?

I don't think a photo would tell you very much. From a short distance it
resembles slightly crumpled aluminum foil. At first I thought they were
layers of metalized plastic film, but closer inspection ruled that out.
Could it be some sort of thermal conductor which would attempt to even out
the temperature of the cells?

Very possibly a thermal fuse that opened due to battery over
temperature. If that's the case, very likely there has been a cell
failure so if it is a fuse I would not advise bypassing it.

A photo would probably help though.
Old July 17th 13, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"philo " wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps I didn't give a full enough description. The battery pack contains
15 Sub-C cells. The area of the top and bottom of the pack is about 12
square inches (~3" x 4"). The 0.5 mm thick layer covers the entire area of
the top and bottom of the pack.

Old July 17th 13, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 07/16/2013 09:15 PM, garyr wrote:
"philo " wrote in message
[...]

If there is no electrical connection of any sort, then it's simply some
type of barrier.... leakage or thermal I'd imagine
Old September 26th 13, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 22:26:33 -0500, philo** wrote:

A photo would probably help though.

Maybe so, but this not being a binary group, a lot of news providers, like mine,
won't allow them to be listed on their servers. Rules, go figure huh? Damned
pain in the ass.
Old September 26th 13, 03:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013, Roger wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 22:26:33 -0500, philo** wrote:

A photo would probably help though.

Maybe so, but this not being a binary group, a lot of news providers, like mine,
won't allow them to be listed on their servers. Rules, go figure huh? Damned
pain in the ass.

No it's not, and I'm not sure the suggestion meant posting a binary here.

You can put the photo anywhere and put the URL in the message. I have no
idea what happens these days, but once upon a time any ISP provided some
disk space, for a webpage or whatever. And you can actually put in the
area for webpages a graphic file, and just point to it in the message. No
webpage needed. And if you don't have an old style ISP, there are plenty
of other options for putting a photo online, and again just point to it.

Binary posts were never a good thing, too large and maybe most people
wouldn't be interested, yet they have to be transferred and stored at
every newsserver that carries binaries. It made sense in the early days
when Usenet was transferred over phone lines, because then the binaries
were used to pass software related to Usenet, and then I imagine later,
software related to the discussion. But once the internet became the
transfer method, other things worked better for binaries, while the bloat
of binary newsgroups has gone way up, as people use it for the wrong
reasons.

Michael VE2BVW