Old May 27th 14, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default 50 years

Recently I've been seeing notices celebrating the 50th anniversary of BASIC.

I just realized than in July of this year I'll have had my license for
50 years.

Wow did that ever go fast.
Old May 27th 14, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"philo " wrote in message
Recently I've been seeing notices celebrating the 50th anniversary of
BASIC.

I just realized than in July of this year I'll have had my license for 50
years.

Wow did that ever go fast.

I refer you to Herrick's poems, "To the Virgins, to make much of time"

But it is certainly true that time seems to pass faster the older you get.

63 years old; 44 with a ham licence.

Old May 27th 14, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
gareth wrote:

Recently I've been seeing notices celebrating the 50th anniversary of
BASIC.

I just realized than in July of this year I'll have had my license for 50
years.

Wow did that ever go fast.

I refer you to Herrick's poems, "To the Virgins, to make much of time"

But it is certainly true that time seems to pass faster the older you
get.

Sixteen springs and sixteen summers gone now
Cartwheels turn to car wheels thru the town
And they tell him take your time it won't be long now
Till you drag your feet to slow the circles down

Joni Mitchell, "The Circle Game."

Old May 27th 14, 08:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 27 May 2014, philo* wrote:

Recently I've been seeing notices celebrating the 50th anniversary of BASIC.

I just realized than in July of this year I'll have had my license for 50
years.

Wow did that ever go fast.

1964 was a big year. The New York World's Fair (with the ham station at
the Pepsi pavillion, but I can't remember if that was the official station
that didn't get much attention or the second one that did). Ken Kesey and
the Pranksters driving the bus across the US to get to the Fair. Time
sharing came to Dartmouth university in 1964 as well as BASIC. Freedom
Summer. The Beatles on Ed Sullivan in February that year.

The ARRL turns one hundred this year. I didn't read them until after the
fact, but they had quite a series covering the first fifty years in 1964,
still a good overview of the ARRL and the hobby. It's hard to believe
that as much time has passed since 1964 as the ARRL had been around at
that point. Or that for 42 of those fifty years I've had a ham license.

I've only been licensed since I was 12, in 1972. Forty-two years. The
Rolling Stones came to town soon after I actually got my station license,
and their equipment truck blew up, nobody has ever been charged with the
deed.

I saw a photo somewhere of a tube based car transceiver someone wants to
refurbish. It looks all rusty and beat up, and my thought was "why don't
they just pick another unit?" But maybe that's no longer the case, they
were so plentiful in the early seventies, and in great shape, but maybe
now that nobody wants to put something big like that in their car, they've
all been mistreated. I'm sure the RCA strips I have in the closet are
still in as perfect shape as when I got them in the seventies.

Michael VE2BVW

Old May 27th 14, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 05/27/2014 02:20 PM, Michael Black wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2014, philo wrote:

Recently I've been seeing notices celebrating the 50th anniversary of
BASIC.

I just realized than in July of this year I'll have had my license for
50 years.

Wow did that ever go fast.

1964 was a big year. The New York World's Fair (with the ham station at
the Pepsi pavillion, but I can't remember if that was the official
station that didn't get much attention or the second one that did). Ken
Kesey and the Pranksters driving the bus across the US to get to the
Fair. Time sharing came to Dartmouth university in 1964 as well as
BASIC. Freedom Summer. The Beatles on Ed Sullivan in February that year.

snipped but read

In High School I recall our radio club sponsor talking about the good
old days of spark gap transmitters and now I am older than he was at the
time.

1964 was a good year.

Old May 28th 14, 11:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.radio.amateur

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1405271511580.18957@darkstar. example.org...
The ARRL turns one hundred this year.

Perhaps that accounts for the BS from the RSCB claiming that last
year was their centenary; one-upmanship, instead of 1926 which
is their real centenary?

(X-posted to ura)

Old May 28th 14, 11:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"philo " wrote in message

In High School I recall our radio club sponsor talking about the good old
days of spark gap transmitters and now I am older than he was at the time.

Interestingly, all those electrical techniques are now being followed
by the geeks making Tesla coils. A mate of mine built a rotary spark
gap, and talk about arc-eye!

43 years later 003 Jeffrey D Angus[_2_] Radio Photos 0 May 4th 10 01:20 AM
Over 5 years since............ Paul Johnson CB 0 February 8th 06 01:57 AM
35 years ago Ron Lawrence KC4YOY Boatanchors 17 May 5th 05 02:03 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Antenna 4 October 4th 04 05:16 AM
35 years ago Mike Terry Shortwave 1 August 19th 04 10:04 PM