Old July 3rd 03, 09:39 PM
Jim, N2VX

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:28:36 -0400, "DOUGLAS SNOWDEN"
wrote:

Just curious, have any of you had trouble with your neighbors that have had
their homes wired with CAT5 cable? Does it want to act like an antenna and
cause intereference (to them and you) ???

Doug N4IJ

Ours generates noise on HF. I have a vertical antenna about 15 feet
from the house and that doesn't help. We didn't have problems with
the old-style coax cable ethernet. I'll switch to shielded cat-5
cable in the near future.

73,
Jim
N2VX

Old July 4th 03, 04:39 AM
G.Beat

Jim -

Shielded twisted pair is included within the EIA/TIA 568 standard
and is used in parts of Europe. It is more expensive to install and takes
more time to terminate (but less than the old IBM Type 1 cabling system !!)

Greg

--
Do not use Reply
Reply only through ARRL forwarding service to W9GB

Old July 4th 03, 04:54 AM
G.Beat

" Uncle Peter" wrote in message

The amount of RF required to interfere with a sensitive RF
receiver is quite a few magnitudes less than what would
interfere with patient support equipment.

wrote:

Just curious, have any of you had trouble with your neighbors that have had
their homes wired with CAT5 cable? Does it want to act like an antenna and
cause interference (to them and you) ???

Doug N4IJ

Ours generates noise on HF. I have a vertical antenna about 15 feet
from the house and that doesn't help. We didn't have problems with
the old-style coax cable Ethernet. I'll switch to shielded cat-5
cable in the near future.

73,
Jim
N2VX

I will only speak for what I know, have observed in the field or tested in
the biomed labs.

When testing commenced in 1992 at Mercy, we found the majority of the
problems were with
switching power supplies that powered the network and computer equipment.
Our discoveries and test results forced Compaq to recall equipment for noise
and
improper grounding [One bad Chinese supplier - they were using several at
that time].

Coax [10-Base-T] will limit you to standard Ethernet speed (10 Mb) - and is
subject to the
quality of cable and its coax shielding - which is why Belden has specific
model number of Thick and Thin
Ethernet.

Fiber Optic is ideal - but you have termination costs and again power issues
with equipment.

I have not yet tested any of the upcoming 802.3af equipment ("power for
phones") -
yet another potential to examine in the "wiring closet".

Greg
w9gb

Old July 4th 03, 01:12 PM
Andrew R Mitz

I get interference from a hub in the basement near the rig. Most noise
is on 20 meters. The problem is especially bad if there is an
unterminated wire connected to the hub.

:

Old July 4th 03, 08:07 PM
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Can Cat-5 be run through conduit without any signal degradation? Reason
is to provide mechanical protection.

G.Beat wrote:

Doug -

"Properly installed" should be NO problem

I installed miles of Cat 5 running Ethernet at a major hospital.

Due to ICU, Surgery, Radiology and Lab departments, we swept the entire area
for
any potential interference - which would interfere with patient support
equipment.

NONE. The industry does not need "urban legends"

"Properly installed" is the key aspect --- and their are a number of
certification organizations
for installers and contractors.

gb

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT

"Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny." -F.Z.