Old August 4th 03, 04:00 AM
opcom

Like wise, here.

The DSL comes to the house, goes into a plastic conduit, under the ground, 50' to the lab, into the ADSL modem, out as ethernet to a hub, then one line to the server and one back to the house, where it comes in and goes to two
more hubs and 4 computers.

The The noise is heard as a popping sound in the receivers, and is present in the lab, and in the house. It's worst around 10MHz and 15 MHz, and occurs when there's ethernet traffic. I hope that putting the antenna up on a tower
will help. Right now I SWL with an antenna in the attic.

The server is a large minicomputer, maybe it's not intended for operation in the home, maybe has less EMI restrictions?

"Jim, N2VX" wrote:

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:28:36 -0400, "DOUGLAS SNOWDEN"
wrote:

Just curious, have any of you had trouble with your neighbors that have had
their homes wired with CAT5 cable? Does it want to act like an antenna and
cause intereference (to them and you) ???

Doug N4IJ

Ours generates noise on HF. I have a vertical antenna about 15 feet
from the house and that doesn't help. We didn't have problems with
the old-style coax cable ethernet. I'll switch to shielded cat-5
cable in the near future.

73,
Jim
N2VX