Old July 6th 03, 10:22 PM
DOUGLAS SNOWDEN

That seems to answer my question - not a problem.

Doug
N4IJ

"Andrew R Mitz" wrote in message

I get interference from a hub in the basement near the rig. Most noise
is on 20 meters. The problem is especially bad if there is an
unterminated wire connected to the hub.

Jim, N2VX ) wrote:
: On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:28:36 -0400, "DOUGLAS SNOWDEN"
: wrote:
:
: Just curious, have any of you had trouble with your neighbors that have

had
: their homes wired with CAT5 cable? Does it want to act like an antenna

and
: cause intereference (to them and you) ???
:
: Doug N4IJ
:
:
: Ours generates noise on HF. I have a vertical antenna about 15 feet
: from the house and that doesn't help. We didn't have problems with
: the old-style coax cable ethernet. I'll switch to shielded cat-5
: cable in the near future.
:
: 73,
: Jim
: N2VX

Old July 8th 03, 06:13 AM
bobinphx

Las Vegas NV, since the MGM fire, requires all data cable (cat 5 and cat5e
included) to be run in Metallic conduit... I built a warehouse for a major
parcel carrier (who likes to destroy boatanchors ) What an expensive city
to run data cable (and phone)!!!!!!!

Old July 8th 03, 06:15 AM
bobinphx

arrrrggg type 1!!!!!!!!!!! ever see type 2... (it also had phone cable in
it!!)

Both types were a B*^ch to manage correctly!!!!!

Bob (who's fingers still hurt from type 1 terminations!!!)

Old July 10th 03, 02:12 AM
G.Beat

Yes sir,

In the early days of networking, I had to install and support a WIDE variety
of networks and
physical media (and a few different file server OS - but largely Novell !!)

In addition to the original Token Ring 4 Mbps and Thick and Thin Ethernet
(10-Base-5 and 10-Base-2)
Altos Server and original 3com Net (Thinnet based)
Novell's S-Net
Proteon's 4-Net and 10-Net (10 Mbps 10-Net was not adopted - later IBM 16
Mbps was)
G-Net ( 1 Mbps)
Omninet (for Apple II)
ARCnet Token-passing (PC and old Datapoint 8-bit processor version)
Sytek / IBM PC Network (used 75 ohm CATV cabling)
Appletalk for Macs
AT&T StarNet (another 1 Mbps)

and others from Novell lab classes when Ray Noorda showed up and signed your
certificate!

Today, the company I work for is owned by the US patent holder for Token
Ring

.... who said the world is small?

w9gb