Old October 12th 14, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default RFD for new UK amateur radio group

"Stephen Thomas Cole" wrote in message
Hello .misc, .antenna and .homebrew! I've been watching with a degree of
sadness these last few days as Gareth Alun Evans G4SDW has poured buckets
of idiocy into .antenna. He's a notorious and pernicious troll with going
on for a two decade history of troublemaking on Usenet, primarily in
uk.radio.amateur but there have been many groups that he's upset over the
years, all in the archives.

And your comment there yesterday? ...

"I suspect his expanding gut long ago enveloped his tallywhacker. It
probably looks like he's got two belly buttons. "

Old October 12th 14, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Stephen Thomas Cole" wrote in message

Thanks for reading, folks!
Steve M0TEY

As the Christian make-believers would have it, perhaps you should
remove the planky from your own eye before seeking to
remove the motey from my eye?

Old October 12th 14, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 10/12/2014 11:39 AM, gareth wrote:
"Stephen Thomas Cole" wrote in message

Thanks for reading, folks!
Steve M0TEY

As the Christian make-believers would have it, perhaps you should
remove the planky from your own eye before seeking to
remove the motey from my eye?

Question: What is a planky and what is a motey?

Old October 12th 14, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

John S wrote in :

Question: What is a planky and what is a motey?

I'll try this.. I think plank implies the bigger of the two obstacles to
visual acuity and perception. Please no-one make me regret this.
Old October 12th 14, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:

Hello .misc, .antenna and .homebrew! I've been watching with a degree of
sadness these last few days as Gareth Alun Evans G4SDW has poured buckets
of idiocy into .antenna. He's a notorious and pernicious troll with going
on for a two decade history of troublemaking on Usenet, primarily in
uk.radio.amateur but there have been many groups that he's upset over the
years, all in the archives.

Whatever he does in the UK newsgroup, we don't see it unless there is
crossposting. He posts, and half the replies are about his trolling
(which may or may not exist), and the only reason we see that junk is
because he's crossposting.

We were having a fine technical discussion in rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
when you saw fit to cross-post this, and so instead of that technical
discussion, suddenly the posts are about this. You've just made a mess of
the newsgroup, the thing you claim to want to fix.

We don't want a moderated newsgroup. rec.radio.amateur.moderated proves
that, it's existed for some years now, yet isn't seeing much real traffic.
A handful of posts each month, plus a lot of read only posts that belong
elsewhere, if they belong in newsgroups at all. The same people who felt
such a need for a moderated newsgroup are the same people who don't
participate, but they are also the same people spewing the hierarchy with
read only messages. So now the few non-read only messages in .moderated
are foolish replies to blog postings and bulletins, as if the original
poster is actually participating in the newsgroup.

If we so badly wanted a moderated newsgroup, then .moderated would be a
success, lots of traffic and healthy traffic. But that's never been the
case. IN the early days there was a trickle of messages there, and it's
slowed down since.

So don't think that a moderated newsgroup will save the day. It hasn't.

Michael

Old October 12th 14, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1410121350420.25582@darkstar. example.org...
On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:

Hello .misc, .antenna and .homebrew! I've been watching with a degree of
sadness these last few days as Gareth Alun Evans G4SDW has poured buckets
of idiocy into .antenna. He's a notorious and pernicious troll with going
on for a two decade history of troublemaking on Usenet, primarily in
uk.radio.amateur but there have been many groups that he's upset over the
years, all in the archives.

Whatever he does in the UK newsgroup, we don't see it unless there is
crossposting. He posts, and half the replies are about his trolling
(which may or may not exist), and the only reason we see that junk is
because he's crossposting.

I have never trolled in 20 years of contributing to usenet. I am an original
thinker and those who do not understand my opinions and take offence
at them assume that they must be trolled.

An example of this may be seen in rec.radio.amateur.antenna
contemporaneously
where after some musing, I thought that perhaps the varying behaviour of
short and long antennae might in some way be as the result of a limitation
of
the transport medium, and I posited a thread on that subject, only to find
that
no-one understood what I was suggesting and most launched into replaying
their mental tape recorders about what they thought they knew about
short antennae, in many cases resorting to infantile outbursts.

For many years, I have spoken about the decline in standards of amateur
radio in the UK, especially as that represented by licences that are
targetted
at and obtained by 5-year-olds, and have criticised those the cadre of grown
men
who hold such licences targetted at the 5-year-old, but there has never been
any intention on my part to insult anybody, for it is the licence class and
the degeneration to which I am strongly opposed.

In addition, I have spoken out strongly against the habitual gratuitous
abuse
by some people, of which STC is a main culprit.

We were having a fine technical discussion in rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
when you saw fit to cross-post this, and so instead of that technical
discussion, suddenly the posts are about this. You've just made a mess of
the newsgroup, the thing you claim to want to fix.

STC does that to all the NG that he pollutes, and yes, you are correct in
that
he speaks out against his perceived cesspit in ura but he is the main
generator
of the abusive effluent that makes if a cesspit.

So don't think that a moderated newsgroup will save the day. It hasn't.

Especially as the other main contributor of effluent into ura is M3OSN who
is
already a moderator of the Yahoo group RSCBTech yet bizarrely posts to
ura and to this NG with posts that simply would not pass moderation.

Old October 13th 14, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message ...

[...]

Your theory about transport medium led to an incorrect characterization of
short vs long dipoles.
So, it's hard to take your theory seriously.

Old October 13th 14, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 10/12/2014 1:56 PM, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

Speak for yourself. YOU don't want a moderated newsgroup. You do NOT
speak for me or many others.

And no, I don't read r.r.a.m. - but for my own reasons. I would,
however, be happy to subscribe to uk.r.a.m.

If we so badly wanted a moderated newsgroup, then .moderated would be a
success, lots of traffic and healthy traffic. But that's never been the
case. IN the early days there was a trickle of messages there, and it's
slowed down since.

There are many reasons why a moderated newsgroup doesn't work.

So don't think that a moderated newsgroup will save the day. It hasn't.

Michael

In YOUR mind.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

Old October 13th 14, 09:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Jerry Stuckle wrote in news:m1fcjh$dk2$2@dont-
email.me:

Speak for yourself. YOU don't want a moderated newsgroup. You do NOT
speak for me or many others.

I have mixed feelings about it. If it's done the way a good landlord keeps a
pub pleasant to visit, then it's great to know there someone keeping things
well, the only thing that would immediately put me off is if access were
closed like a Yahoo group. A good pub may be run well, but it also needs to
allow people to walk straight in off the street to work at its best. Maybe
the metaphor lacks something, but it's as good as I can think of right now.
Maybe a public library might be a closer one..