Old August 9th 03, 12:47 AM
Lee Leduc

Sorry for the slow response but the Internet connection to the "other
side" is soooooooo slow!

Yes, I have had a a fatal electric shock in the past.

Yours truly,

William Kemmler

Old August 9th 03, 12:56 AM
Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'

In article ,
mentioned...
On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 01:18:38 +1000, "Alex Gibson"
wrote:

From my own experiance, rf burns hurt more than
standard 50Hz ac or dc shocks even though I would have to
rate car iginition systems a close second.

I think I may have experienced rf burns some years ago. Is this when
you touch a metal object close to an rf field; it feels thermally
*hot* enough to burn you, but when the field is killed, said object
*instantly* feels normal room temperature again?

No, RF burns is when the skin is actually burnt.

@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@

Old August 9th 03, 12:59 AM
Dave Holford

"Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'" wrote:

In article ,
mentioned...
A former member of the Air Force told me about a safety training video
narrated by a transmitter tech who did not observe *all* the procedures. He
survived to make the video, but as a double amputee.

I was told that this training video was part of the curriculum for so many
years that the principal character became somewhat of a celebrity. Perhaps
someone with more direct knowledge can add or correct the details.

Tom, N3IJ

Well, that's a helluva way to become a celebrity! But on
observation, the amputee must've been a DOD civilian, because he
couldn't have remained in the AF without his legs. Or whatever was
amputated. Or maybe he did the narration after he had recovered and
was discharged.

I wouldn't count on it.

My Brother-in-Law lost a leg while in the airforce and served more than
20 years after that before he retired, picked up quite a few promotions
along the way.

I think you will find that amputees have served in the USAF, RAF, RCAF,
RCN and probably several other military services over the years.
Admittedly they lost their limbs after they joined the service.

From what I can recall one USAF aircrew member lost a limb in a (B-47)?
crash, the RCN guy lost one after his aircraft went off a carrier and he
passed under the carrier and lost, I think a leg. The most famous is
probably Douglas Bader who lost both legs and went on to serve as a
fighter pilot in WWII. One thing they all have in common is that they
fought like hell to stay in.

Dave

Old August 9th 03, 02:54 AM
Jeff

"Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun'" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
mentioned...
Paul Burridge wrote:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:33:24 GMT, "Harris"
wrote:

Several people have and of course they are all dead.

Well I don't believe the answer's that simple. I'll explain in due

Yes it is. 'Fatal' doesn't have any slack in its definition. You could

modify it
by adding 'near' as a prefix.

I agree. He said one thing, but meant another. Snot what you think!

Answer this question:

Q: Twenty years ago, a plane is flying at 20,000 feet over Germany. If
you will recall, Germany at the time was politically divided into West
Germany and East Germany. Anyway, during the flight, TWO of the
engines fail. The pilot, realizing that the last remaining engine is
also failing, decides on a crash landing. Unfortunately, the engine
fails before he has time and the plane crashes smack in the middle of
"no-man's-land" between East Germany and West Germany. Where would you
bury the survivors - East Germany or West Germany or in "no-man's-
land?"

Land in no-man's-land and they might be, burying
the SURVIVORS.... at that time.
Jeff

DOH!

For the answer, and other similar Qs, see
http://dailyfunnies.org/archives/000637.html

Old August 9th 03, 03:49 AM
Bob Yates

Paul Burridge wrote:

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

p.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Nothing like that, yet.

Rewired some factory emergency lights and replaced several more, one leg
of a 480V circuit, live. Work careful and no problems.

Removing a high-pressure bulb from a high-voltage circuit, glass
envelope broke in my hand while trying to unscrew it, didn't know I
could move that fast.

Rewiring a conveyor, co-worker said the power was off, sparks flew when
I cut the cable. I just stared at the remains of my pliers and then at
him. ONE HAND in contact with the work, nothing else, work on insulated
surface, heavy rubber sole boots, and anything else I can think of.

Worked at one plant that had had a color blind electrician, that really
taught me caution, never knew what color wired carried what voltage.