Old August 7th 03, 02:41 PM
Paul Burridge

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:11:10 +0000 (UTC), "Leon Heller"
wrote:

I've seen someone get hold of 440 V 3 phase bus bars, one in each hand. He
was across the supply for about 5 minutes as the emergency stop button in
the lab didn't work and he couldn't let go. He was lucky - just badly burnt
hands. He was back at work a couple of days later, heavily bandaged.

Thanks, Leon. This is the kind of 'unsurvivable shock' I had in mind.
I'm sure we'll have several more hair-raising examples to come yet,
though.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill
Old August 7th 03, 03:08 PM
Michael Black

Winfield Hill ) writes:
Paul Burridge wrote...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone
ever had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

I've had a few fatal shocks.

Thanks,
- Win

You sound in especially good shape for someone who's suffered multiple
fatal shocks.

Michael VE2BVW

Old August 7th 03, 03:11 PM
Leon Heller

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

I've seen someone get hold of 440 V 3 phase bus bars, one in each hand. He
was across the supply for about 5 minutes as the emergency stop button in
the lab didn't work and he couldn't let go. He was lucky - just badly burnt
hands. He was back at work a couple of days later, heavily bandaged.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Old August 7th 03, 03:34 PM
Mike

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:08:54 GMT, George R. Gonzalez wrote:

IIRC a "fatal" shock is mroe likely to be a mddling-current one. The
stronger ones tend to self-defibbrilate you.

That's why lightning strike victims often survive.

Is is really? I talked to some guys who made defibrillators once; there was
a defibrillator (a working one) in their lab, for use in case of shock
while working on a defibrillator.

-- Mike --

Old August 7th 03, 04:01 PM
RP Henry

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone ever
had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

I got 600V/400MHz right through my little finger once. Reached in where I
shouldn't have. If the current had taken the long way to ground through my
feet or other arm, instead of the short way out the fingernail, I would have
at least been smoking from end to end.

Old August 7th 03, 04:05 PM
RP Henry

"Michael Black" wrote in message
Winfield Hill ) writes:
Paul Burridge wrote...

The question seems daft, but bear with me, gentlemen. Has anyone
ever had an electric shock that they feel lucky to have survived?

I've had a few fatal shocks.

Thanks,
- Win

You sound in especially good shape for someone who's suffered multiple
fatal shocks.

That explains the hair.