Old September 17th 03, 02:25 PM
Active8

In article ,
says...

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...ticleID=609108

not much info there,

Here's some more info: http://www.ancom.no/presentation01.htm

I saw it on Norwegian TV a week or two ago, and it sounded impressive to me.

Sverre
www.qsl.net/la3za

geeze. a one sentence per page presentation that tells me nothing. i
wonder how it works.

i can finally build an HF shoe phone and those trees won't wreck the
intergalactic commo array on the fuel truck that services my flying
saucer.

brs,
mike
Old September 17th 03, 05:00 PM
Active8

In article ,
says...
In article t,
Active8 wrote:

In article ,
says...
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...ticleID=609108

I've always assumed that the performance of ferrite-rod antennas in
transmitting applications was limited by core saturation. Wonder if
there's anything to this "invention"?

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

not much info there, but i've read articles about russian experiments on
small antennae and something about a capacitive antenna.

somewhere in the jumble, i came across a theory/claim supposedly
originated by Nikolai Tesla. the theory being that applying a large
voltage - low freq. ac, dc... i don't remember - to a short antenna
would set up an electrically large antenna by virtue of the electric
field.

say you applied 1000V to a 1m whip. that's 1000V/m. or it's 1V/m over a
length of 1000m effective antenna length. that's the theory... key word
"theory".

You're misusing the word "theory." You mean hypothesis. I know, I know,
I'm nitpicking. But I once was chewed out by a physicist at MIT for
misusing the word when I was temping there. Ouch.

Al

PS:

theory - a proven fact which explains an aspect of nature; i.e., the
Theory of Relativity.

hypotheses - A tentative explanation that accounts for a set of facts
and must be proven by further experimentation.

yup, it may be nitpicking, but yer right. that was explained on day 1 of
7th grade science.

mike
Old September 17th 03, 05:00 PM
Active8

In article ,
says...

Old September 17th 03, 05:47 PM
John Larkin

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 05:10:40 GMT, Active8
wrote:

In article ,
says...
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...ticleID=609108

Hmmm... sounds bogus to me.

somewhere in the jumble, i came across a theory/claim supposedly
originated by Nikolai Tesla. the theory being that applying a large
voltage - low freq. ac, dc... i don't remember - to a short antenna
would set up an electrically large antenna by virtue of the electric
field.

say you applied 1000V to a 1m whip. that's 1000V/m. or it's 1V/m over a
length of 1000m effective antenna length. that's the theory... key word
"theory".

An antenna has radiation resistance. If you deliver power into Rr, it,
well, radiates it. As an antenna gets smaller, its radiation
resistance increases, so to dump X watts into space using a smaller
antenna, you need to drive it from a higher voltage. P = E^2/Rr. One
gadget used to increase the voltage is an "antenna tuner", just a
resonant matching network. There are practical limits on how much
power you can force into a small antenna: skin effect heating,
ionization, matching network Q, stuff like that. Nothing mysterious
here.

John

brs,
mike

Old September 17th 03, 06:30 PM
Arie de Muynck

"John Miles" wrote
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...ticleID=609108

I've always assumed that the performance of ferrite-rod antennas in
transmitting applications was limited by core saturation. Wonder if
there's anything to this "invention"?

I especically like the statement:
"Our tiny antenna can be placed in the car or cast in metal, and is at least
as good"

Great, an antenna working even if cast in metal....

Arie.

Old September 17th 03, 06:52 PM

I especically like the statement:
"Our tiny antenna can be placed in the car or cast in metal, and is at least
as good"

Great, an antenna working even if cast in metal....

Time will tell.

It's likely we'll not find out the exact details (if it lives upto ad-bumk that
is) but what else can it but a coil wound round a lump of ferrite ?

I don;t personally see why a ferrite can be used for transmitting - but then I'd
need filling in as to what the technical reasons are for this supposed reasoning
is.

Clive

Old September 17th 03, 06:53 PM

read 'can' as 'can't'