Old March 6th 15, 07:45 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default The biscuit barrel

"AndyW" wrote in message
On 06/03/2015 05:15, rickman wrote:

Brian, Gareth is being nice, isn't saying anything stupid and so far all
has been civil. You seem to be trying to find something to hit him over
the head with. Please don't turn this into another argument with him...

You must be new here.....

Andy

He can see exactly what brian is doing....what a man ! ......

Old March 6th 15, 07:46 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 05/03/2015 23:04, gareth wrote:
"Iain Young, G7III" wrote in message

An awful lot of evidence by citing off-the-shelf solutions for both
the hardware and the software of SDR.

It depends where you draw the line.
I have a DVB dongle that I use under linux.
I use pre-written drivers and a waterfall code module but the rest of
the code is self-written by me in c++ and python with some java 2D stuff
for the pretty front end and logging and analysis (largely because I
prefer the collections interface in Java over c++ for massive data
handling).

It is certainly homebrew because the amount of time and effort I spent
in writing to code (and time to learn python on codeacademy - good site
BTW) was probably longer than I have spent designing and building hardware.

Your mileage may vary....

Andy
Old March 6th 15, 09:35 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"rickman" wrote in message

Brian, Gareth is being nice, isn't saying anything stupid and so far all
has been civil. You seem to be trying to find something to hit him over
the head with. Please don't turn this into another argument with him...

Well said, but not a problem here because both reay and cole, the
two perpetrators of unpleasantness are being widespreadly shunned and
are in my KF as I type.
(Note how quiet the unn.* NGs are since the start of the cole shunning!)

Old March 6th 15, 09:47 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
"rickman" wrote in message

Brian, Gareth is being nice, isn't saying anything stupid and so far all
has been civil. You seem to be trying to find something to hit him over
the head with. Please don't turn this into another argument with him...

Well said, but not a problem here because both reay and cole, the
two perpetrators of unpleasantness are being widespreadly shunned and
are in my KF as I type.
(Note how quiet the unn.* NGs are since the start of the cole shunning!)

everybody would get on well if it wasn't for those two ........

Old March 6th 15, 10:01 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 22:01:39 +0000, Iain Young, G7III wrote:

A HF upverter added to the front end, and you are all set.

Very simple project, a cheap DIL crystal oscillator around 50MHz,
passive mixer with the ports switched around and you have a LF/MF/HF RX
from DC. Some front end filtering and Bob's your unc.

Charlie
M0WYM

--
Hello Wisconsin!

Old March 6th 15, 10:03 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 07:45:15 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

He can see exactly what brian is doing....what a man ! ......

I've come to the conclusion it's compulsive, ditto the boy wonder's
behaviour across usenet.

--
Hello Wisconsin!
Old March 6th 15, 10:27 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 09:47:07 -0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"gareth" wrote in message
"rickman" wrote in message

Brian, Gareth is being nice, isn't saying anything stupid and so far all
has been civil. You seem to be trying to find something to hit him over
the head with. Please don't turn this into another argument with him...

Well said, but not a problem here because both reay and cole, the
two perpetrators of unpleasantness are being widespreadly shunned and
are in my KF as I type.
(Note how quiet the unn.* NGs are since the start of the cole shunning!)

everybody would get on well if it wasn't for those two ........

Well just ignore their posts........
Old March 6th 15, 10:52 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 06/03/15 09:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

everybody would get on well if it wasn't for those two ........

Perhaps that was the agenda all along.

--
Spike

"Hard cases, it has frequently been observed, are apt to introduce bad
law". Judge Rolfe

Old March 6th 15, 01:32 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , Charlie
writes
On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 22:01:39 +0000, Iain Young, G7III wrote:

A HF upverter added to the front end, and you are all set.

Very simple project, a cheap DIL crystal oscillator around 50MHz,
passive mixer with the ports switched around and you have a LF/MF/HF RX
from DC. Some front end filtering and Bob's your unc.

My first 2m QSO was made with a CB set feeding into a home-made
double-balanced diode mixer, and an ancient sig gen as the LO on 118 (or
maybe 177) MHz.

--
Ian
Old March 6th 15, 02:58 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 3/6/2015 5:52 AM, Spike wrote:
On 06/03/15 09:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

everybody would get on well if it wasn't for those two ........

Perhaps that was the agenda all along.

I figured my effort was doomed to fail. At least Gareth didn't respond
directly to the dynamic duo. Who knows, this topic seems to have some
interest from the group. Maybe the on topic posts will outnumber the
pointless tit-for-tat posts.

I will say that Gareth is not without blame either. He needs to ignore
the rantings. Just as they feed the troll behavior in him, he feeds the
troll behavior in them.

Troll vs. Troll

--

Rick

$30.00 a barrel oil. D&L Shortwave 0 January 18th 11 05:50 PM
Transistor Barrel Radio _JD_ Radio Photos 0 June 6th 10 01:18 AM
Coax Barrel Connector Length ? Robert11 Shortwave 3 February 22nd 06 02:17 PM
To David: Coax Suggestions ? (Barrel in the middle ?) Robert11 Shortwave 1 January 19th 06 02:29 PM
Air America down to bottom of Barrel,Desperate for Handouts. [email protected] Shortwave 11 September 26th 05 08:36 AM