Old March 10th 15, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Prototyping boards for "ugly" analog/RF circuits

On 2/25/15 11:05 PM, Dave Platt wrote:
I recently spent a bit of time laying out some general-purpose
prototyping boards, for building small analog and RF circuits in the
"ugly" and "Manhattan" traditions. They're similar to what you can
make by cutting isolated circular pads into a piece of double-sided PC
board stock using a core drill chucked in a Dremel...

Very nice, Dave! I think I'll order a few of these for my tronics
hacking. So the pads are, what, like 4 or 5 mm diameter?

Old March 10th 15, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I recently spent a bit of time laying out some general-purpose
prototyping boards, for building small analog and RF circuits in the
"ugly" and "Manhattan" traditions. They're similar to what you can
make by cutting isolated circular pads into a piece of double-sided PC
board stock using a core drill chucked in a Dremel...

Very nice, Dave! I think I'll order a few of these for my tronics
hacking. So the pads are, what, like 4 or 5 mm diameter?

If I recall correctly, the smaller board has 6mm pads with 1mm
between pads, and the larger board has 8mm pads with 2mm between
pads.

They aren't as "tight" as a small-scale Manhattan board... I decided
to err on the side of flexibility (plenty of room for several
component leads) and compatibility with my own fat fingers :-)

Old March 11th 15, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 10/03/15 15:43, Eric Weaver wrote:
On 2/25/15 11:05 PM, Dave Platt wrote:
I recently spent a bit of time laying out some general-purpose
prototyping boards, for building small analog and RF circuits in the
"ugly" and "Manhattan" traditions. They're similar to what you can
make by cutting isolated circular pads into a piece of double-sided PC
board stock using a core drill chucked in a Dremel...

Very nice, Dave! I think I'll order a few of these for my tronics
hacking. So the pads are, what, like 4 or 5 mm diameter?

==========
For simple ugly construction circuits I use single or double sided PCB
,drilling holes for "grounded" components to be soldered perpendicular
to the board serving as stand-offs for non-earthed components ie
semiconductors resistors ,inductors ,capacitors.
If more "non-grounded" connections are required I solder 10MOhm
resistors as stand-offs in drilled holes.
The resistance is high enough for most RF & non-RF circuits serving as
isolators.
The advantage of this method is that component interconnections can be
made very short .

I sometimes also use the diamond dust covered cylinder drill bits
(diameter 5mm) to create small isolated islands (drill bits available
from the G-QRP Club for members .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old March 11th 15, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"highlandham" wrote in message

I sometimes also use the diamond dust covered cylinder drill bits
(diameter 5mm) to create small isolated islands (drill bits available
from the G-QRP Club for members .

Highly recommended, but always use from within a drill press unless
you wish to skate all over the surface of the board :-(