Old March 14th 15, 01:39 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Making capacitors?

"FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI" wrote:
"Rambo" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 23:13:33 -0000, "gareth" wrote:
"Rambo" wrote in message
news On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 15:57:07 -0000, "gareth" wrote:
Me and a friend made up a capacitor (really a condenser seeing as
the use to which it was put) by rolling up aluminium foil in between
sheets of polythene for his Tesla coil, but the capacitor failed because
of breakdown in the inevitable air spaces in the tightly-wound wad,
the sparking then causing the polythene to burn and thus result
in a shorting out.

Finally did it with aluminium foil laid between sheets of glass and
we got sparks several feet long from it, using an 11kV pole pig
in reverse as the drive.

OK I'll bite.. for what purpose?

Scientific curiosity

It only takes 200mA to cause a cardiac malfunction, why on eath would
you want to mess about with those sorts of voltages given the off
chance that one of those bolts may choose you as its earth return?

I thought the fatal current was a lot lower than that. 8mA springs to mind (arm to arm).

Can we ask Gareth to do some tests to find out?

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old March 14th 15, 10:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , Ralph
Mowery writes

The bad thing about
the power in the US is it is 60 hz and that is close to what the heart often
beats at.

I hope my heart never beats at 60Hz. Something like 1.2Hz is more usual!

--
Ian
Old March 15th 15, 12:32 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Ralph Mowery
writes

The bad thing about
the power in the US is it is 60 hz and that is close to what the heart
often
beats at.

I hope my heart never beats at 60Hz. Something like 1.2Hz is more usual!

Yea, I messed up on that. I did remember reading something like that years
ago,and it could be the origional source thought the two 60's were the same.
The 60 hz would be 60 times a second instead of 60 times a minuit.

Old March 15th 15, 05:55 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 3/14/2015 6:54 AM, Spike wrote:
On 14/03/15 09:17, MW3QRO/MM wrote:
Rambo wrote:

It only takes 200mA to cause a cardiac malfunction, why on eath would
you want to mess about with those sorts of voltages given the off
chance that one of those bolts may choose you as its earth return?

To see if it could be done and along the way to find out how not to do
it.

Reminds me of a friend of mine. He was making a laser, using part of a
car ignition system to generate high voltages. One evening he managed to
put 35kV up his arm, an experience he later described as 'interesting'.
He took care not to do it again, though.

I thought an auto ignition would produce 35 kV in normal operation.
I've been shocked by such an ignition system without harm and I've never
heard of anyone being hurt by that. It doesn't feel good, but it is far
from harmful.

--

Rick
Old March 15th 15, 01:37 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Rambo wrote:

It only takes 200mA to cause a cardiac malfunction, why on eath would
you want to mess about with those sorts of voltages given the off
chance that one of those bolts may choose you as its earth return?

To see if it could be done and along the way to find out how not to do
it.

Reminds me of a friend of mine. He was making a laser, using part of a
car ignition system to generate high voltages. One evening he managed to
put 35kV up his arm, an experience he later described as 'interesting'.
He took care not to do it again, though.

I thought an auto ignition would produce 35 kV in normal operation. I've
been shocked by such an ignition system without harm and I've never
heard of anyone being hurt by that. It doesn't feel good, but it is far
from harmful.

It's also very low current. But a ham would understand that.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

Old March 16th 15, 07:18 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

Me and a friend made up a capacitor (really a condenser seeing as
the use to which it was put) by rolling up aluminium foil in between
sheets of polythene for his Tesla coil, but the capacitor failed because
of breakdown in the inevitable air spaces in the tightly-wound wad,
the sparking then causing the polythene to burn and thus result
in a shorting out.

Finally did it with aluminium foil laid between sheets of glass and
we got sparks several feet long from it, using an 11kV pole pig
in reverse as the drive.

OK I'll bite.. for what purpose?

Clearly you have never played with a Tesla coil.
Just for the sheer fun of making foot long sparks in the style of Baron
Frankenstien.
Tesla coils are just immense fun.

Andy

Old March 16th 15, 11:53 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

Me and a friend made up a capacitor (really a condenser seeing as
the use to which it was put) by rolling up aluminium foil in between
sheets of polythene for his Tesla coil, but the capacitor failed because
of breakdown in the inevitable air spaces in the tightly-wound wad,
the sparking then causing the polythene to burn and thus result
in a shorting out.

Finally did it with aluminium foil laid between sheets of glass and
we got sparks several feet long from it, using an 11kV pole pig
in reverse as the drive.

OK I'll bite.. for what purpose?

Clearly you have never played with a Tesla coil.
Just for the sheer fun of making foot long sparks in the style of Baron
Frankenstien.
Tesla coils are just immense fun.

Andy

I agree Andy Tesla Coils are neat... Amazing man Tesla..Many amazing
inventions.

--
Home, is where I park it.

---

Model making? gareth Boatanchors 3 December 2nd 14 05:04 AM
Making RF Chokes Hayato Homebrew 8 April 27th 04 11:02 PM
I Am Not Making This Up N2EY Policy 31 April 13th 04 03:04 PM
Making RF Chokes Hayato Homebrew 0 April 8th 04 04:48 PM
Making inductors Qas Homebrew 12 September 23rd 03 04:12 PM