Old October 15th 03, 03:43 AM
Reg Edwards

"budgie" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:03:05 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

Multiply top and bottom of 1/jwC by j (This does not change its value)

and
you get 1/jwC = minus j/wC.

Back to school with your algebra.

His algebra looks perfectly fine to me. But as others have pointed
out, he's left the 2pi out.

Yes. I apologise for my remark about school. I gained the incorrect
impression from the previous replies.

The w in wC stands for omega = 2*Pi*F, the angular frequency.

Old October 15th 03, 07:11 AM
Active8

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:43:27 +0000 (UTC), Reg Edwards, said...

wrote:

Multiply top and bottom of 1/jwC by j (This does not change its value)

and
you get 1/jwC = minus j/wC.

Back to school with your algebra.

His algebra looks perfectly fine to me. But as others have pointed
out, he's left the 2pi out.

Yes. I apologise for my remark about school. I gained the incorrect
impression from the previous replies.

The w in wC stands for omega = 2*Pi*F, the angular frequency.

now that were all done playing with j...

don't forget

Z = sqrt{R^2 + [(wL) - (1/wC)]^2]}

and

Z(s) = R + Ls + 1/Cs

which is just plain easier to deal with 'til you need to journey back
into time domain land. no need to leave it f(t) for this deal, though.

all that j stuff... that was scary ****. so easy to make a mistake.
swapping w and f is another good one. only works for f/f stuff.

mike

Old October 15th 03, 07:33 AM
Don Pearce

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:30:18 +0200, "Pawel Stobinski"
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
The impedance should be R + jwL + 1/(jwC)

1/j = j/j*j = j/-1 = -j

-j/wC = 1/jwC

Quite right - the unusual format fooled me.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

Old October 15th 03, 09:18 AM
Paul Burridge

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:11:13 GMT, Active8
wrote:

now that were all done playing with j...

don't forget

Z = sqrt{R^2 + [(wL) - (1/wC)]^2]}

and

Z(s) = R + Ls + 1/Cs

which is just plain easier to deal with 'til you need to journey back
into time domain land. no need to leave it f(t) for this deal, though.

all that j stuff... that was scary ****. so easy to make a mistake.

Especially so given the limited typography of this particular medium.
I suspect few of us would have a problem if we could only view these
formulae in a suitably appropriate typeface!!!
--

"Windows [n.], A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch
to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit

Old October 15th 03, 11:12 AM
Laycock, Christopher

R + jwL + 1/(jwC)
= R + jwL -j/(wC)
so at resonance wL=1/(wC)
ie w=1/sqrt(LC)

Chris

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
The impedance should be R + jwL + 1/(jwC)

You sure?, how do the j parts cancel at resonance if they are both added?+

What causes this? Ken Bessler Antenna 21 December 4th 04 01:37 PM
Folded monopole dilemma The other John Smith Antenna 33 April 27th 04 02:00 AM
Current in antenna loading coils controversy (*sigh*) Roy Lewallen Antenna 25 January 15th 04 09:11 PM
Current in antenna loading coils controversy Yuri Blanarovich Antenna 454 December 12th 03 03:39 PM
Check resonance frequency with GDO Max Antenna 1 July 12th 03 05:18 PM