Old November 4th 03, 11:57 PM
JGBOYLES

Keeping the battery charged is not the only reason to start the car once
a week.

Wow, that is a revelation. I hope most people reading this group would know
that.
73 Gary N4AST
Old November 5th 03, 06:59 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Stupid question but is there any possible way to get to the vehicle at least
once a month or can someone you know and trust gain access to the car at
least once or twice a month??? Unless you have a problem with your battery
and/or charging system, having someone start the vehicle and let it run for
roughly 10-15 minutes seems like an easier solution.

--
Ryan KC8PMX

Why is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but
it takes a whole box to start a barbecue?

"Bruce W...1" wrote in message
This is not ham radio related but I know you guys have the answer.

I need to store a car unattended for a winter in the midwest. And I
want to put a tricke charge on the battery.

I'd rather not buy a fancy trickle charger because it would probably get
stolen. On the other hand I have a vast array of wall wart
transformers.

If I connected one of these transformers how many milliamps should it
put out at 12V? Or rather what's the least current that would do the
job?

It seems that lead acid batteries can dissipate too much current as
heat. In other words I could probably feed it one amp continuously.
But would 100 mA at 12V do the job? I'd hate to lose a 1-Amp wall wart.

Thanks for your help.

Old November 6th 03, 11:17 PM
Andrew VK3BFA

"Bruce W...1" wrote in message ...
This is not ham radio related but I know you guys have the answer.

I need to store a car unattended for a winter in the midwest. And I
want to put a tricke charge on the battery.

I'd rather not buy a fancy trickle charger because it would probably get
stolen. On the other hand I have a vast array of wall wart
transformers.

If I connected one of these transformers how many milliamps should it
put out at 12V? Or rather what's the least current that would do the
job?

It seems that lead acid batteries can dissipate too much current as
heat. In other words I could probably feed it one amp continuously.
But would 100 mA at 12V do the job? I'd hate to lose a 1-Amp wall wart.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Bruce,
you have been given heaps of technical suggestions, heres mine.

1.Pull the battery out of the vehicle and take it back to your place.
2.Every week or so, check specific gravity with a hyrometer (sp) and
if it needs charging, do so.

This solves the problem of someone stealing the car unless they are
really keen, is simple, easy, and lo tech.

73 de VK3BFA Andrew
Old November 6th 03, 11:37 PM
Bob Lewis \(AA4PB\)

According to the manual the Harbor Freight charger is 15.5V. That
seems a little high for a float charge to me. 12-volt LA batteries are
generally float charged at 13.8V. Did you guys measure the voltage
with it connected to the battery or under "no load"?

Old November 7th 03, 12:38 AM
Roy Lewallen

The recommended float voltage differs a fair amount with temperature and
with battery type (liquid, starved, or, now very rare, gelled
electrolyte). I'd check the manufacturer's specifications for the
specific cell. Most are on the web these days. If I were floating a
battery outside or in any other environment with substantial temperature
variation, I'd want to use a temperature compensated charger, with the
charger close to the battery.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old November 7th 03, 03:58 AM
Bruce W...1

Roy Lewallen wrote:

The recommended float voltage differs a fair amount with temperature and
with battery type (liquid, starved, or, now very rare, gelled
electrolyte). I'd check the manufacturer's specifications for the
specific cell. Most are on the web these days. If I were floating a
battery outside or in any other environment with substantial temperature
variation, I'd want to use a temperature compensated charger, with the
charger close to the battery.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Hmmm, temperature compensate at a certain distance from the battery.
Can you model this Roy?

Old November 7th 03, 12:32 AM
Sylvan Butler

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:37:30 -0500, Bob Lewis (AA4PB) wrote:
According to the manual the Harbor Freight charger is 15.5V. That

I think that's the wallwart, not the voltage applied to the batt.

seems a little high for a float charge to me. 12-volt LA batteries are
generally float charged at 13.8V. Did you guys measure the voltage
with it connected to the battery or under "no load"?

Either way measures the same. The little box is a basic voltage
regulator circuit.

sdb

--
| Sylvan Butler | Not speaking for Hewlett-Packard | sbutler-boi.hp.com |
| Watch out for my e-mail address. Thank UCE. change ^ to @ |
Old November 7th 03, 01:23 PM
Bob W.

LMAO! How many people does it take to screw in a lightbulb, or in this
case to charge a battery?