Old May 15th 15, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default A new approach to rigid chassis construction?

The ready availability of lenghts of screwed rod gives us a new and perhaps
easier means of constructing rigid chassis.

Keep the sheets of aluminium that support the components, but separate the
sheets with screwed rods and lock nuts.

It has the advantage that if you're not too good at lining up screw holes,
that
you can make adjustments to the locknuts.

Old May 15th 15, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 15 May 2015 16:09:02 +0100, gareth wrote:

The ready availability of lenghts of screwed rod gives us a new and
perhaps easier means of constructing rigid chassis.

Keep the sheets of aluminium that support the components, but separate
the sheets with screwed rods and lock nuts.

It has the advantage that if you're not too good at lining up screw
holes, that you can make adjustments to the locknuts.

I'm not sure I understand what you are proposing. Can you post a photo
somewhere?

Thanks,

Jim Mueller

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Old May 16th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 5/15/2015 5:36 PM, Jim Mueller wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2015 16:09:02 +0100, gareth wrote:

The ready availability of lenghts of screwed rod gives us a new and
perhaps easier means of constructing rigid chassis.

Keep the sheets of aluminium that support the components, but separate
the sheets with screwed rods and lock nuts.

It has the advantage that if you're not too good at lining up screw
holes, that you can make adjustments to the locknuts.

I'm not sure I understand what you are proposing. Can you post a photo
somewhere?

Thanks,

Jim Mueller

Don't worry, Jim. No one else understands what he proposes, either.

Threaded (not "screwed") rods have been available since the Egyptian
times 3,000 years ago. And NOW he's discovering them?

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old May 16th 15, 09:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 15 May 2015 20:02:34 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

No one else understands what he proposes, either.

It's seems quite clear to me and I can see what he means. Hole alignment
is solved by clamping the two end sheets (front and rear panel) together
when drilling the holes for the threaded studding. Using domed nuts on
the outside would finish it off nicely.

A two part case could easily be formed as two shallow 'U' shaped pieces
(top and bottom). These could be held in place by attaching fixing
brackets on the studding.

Personally, not having the facilities, I would buy a case or pick one up
at a rally

Charlie.

--
Aspersions don't float.
Old May 16th 15, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sat, 16 May 2015 08:39:33 +0000, Charlie wrote:

It's seems quite clear to me and I can see what he means. Hole alignment
is solved by clamping the two end sheets (front and rear panel) together
when drilling the holes for the threaded studding. Using domed nuts on
the outside would finish it off nicely.

A two part case could easily be formed as two shallow 'U' shaped pieces
(top and bottom). These could be held in place by attaching fixing
brackets on the studding.

Personally, not having the facilities, I would buy a case or pick one up
at a rally

Charlie.

Your explanation makes sense, but the original post makes it sound like
the top and bottom are what the threaded rods hold. Then what about
front, back, and sides? These could all be separate pieces or L or U
shaped, but that doesn't sound right. They could also be left open.
There may be other possibilities. I want a photo.

Jim Mueller

Old May 17th 15, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 5/16/2015 6:42 PM, Jim Mueller wrote:
[...]

I think that is exactly what the OP is describing, two metal sheets
separated by threaded rod. He specifically mentions adjusting the
spacing by moving the nuts. But whatever. It's nothing that hasn't
occurred to 80% of us and rejected as a bit too crude.

--

Rick

A more rational approach -- how I would like to change the cell phone industry. Radium[_2_] Antenna 66 September 1st 07 08:50 PM
A more rational approach -- how I would like to change the cell phone industry. Radium[_2_] Shortwave 54 September 1st 07 08:50 PM
Novel approach to shipping Phil Nelson Boatanchors 18 March 11th 05 05:25 AM
25R semi rigid?? zindazenda Homebrew 0 January 1st 04 03:19 PM
25R semi rigid?? zindazenda Homebrew 0 January 1st 04 03:19 PM