Old November 21st 03, 05:49 AM
Michael Black

Default hi-speed op amps for RF?

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." ) writes:
I found some jellybeans (LM318TC) with 10 MHz GBW product and I plan to
play. Anyone have any tips for doing RF with jellybean ICs?

These might be a bit noisy for microvolt stuff, but I plan to start with
IF frequencies and move on as the play permits.

Also, anyone play with the new generation of fifty-cent jellybean 100+ MHz
amplifiers?

Those were pretty good thirty years ago, and even the late seventies, but
the LM318 is pretty puny at this point. Not only are there much better
op-amps, but you couldn't do all that much with the 10MHz spec (just more
than the 741 decades ago).

I really don't know the state of high speed op-amps today, but I think
I'd go directly to them if I needed them.

Michael VE2BVW

Old November 21st 03, 08:58 PM
Tom Bruhns

"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." wrote in message ...
Also, anyone play with the new generation of fifty-cent jellybean 100+ MHz
amplifiers?

I've been playing with/using things like the OPA685, THS4302RG and
AD8351. I'll probably try the AD8099, but suspect it won't go low
enough in distortion at 40MHz. My holy grail is better than -80dBc
second and third harmonics at 50MHz and 2V p-p output, and
input-referred voltage noise down in the 1-2nV/rtHz region. But I
suppose that I'll never be completely happy, as the bar will move
higher as fast ADC resolution and distortion improve. As for ADCs,
I'm hoping for 18 useful bits at 100Ms/s in monolithic, and would
welcome 20 bits or more. We've done 23 bits at 20Ms/s for a long time
now, but it's a tad pricey.

Cheers,
Tom

Old November 23rd 03, 11:45 PM
ddwyer

In article , Michael Black
writes
"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." ) writes:
I found some jellybeans (LM318TC) with 10 MHz GBW product and I plan to
play. Anyone have any tips for doing RF with jellybean ICs?

These might be a bit noisy for microvolt stuff, but I plan to start with
IF frequencies and move on as the play permits.

Also, anyone play with the new generation of fifty-cent jellybean 100+ MHz
amplifiers?

Those were pretty good thirty years ago, and even the late seventies, but
the LM318 is pretty puny at this point. Not only are there much better
op-amps, but you couldn't do all that much with the 10MHz spec (just more
than the 741 decades ago).

Plenty of 1GHz gbw opamps available 5 or so different (linear, Texas,
AD, MAXIM.) with 0.95uV/Hz so terminate in 50R high gbw means good gain
through to 100MHz .
Self oscillation can be a problem 50R directly in series with the o/p
helps.
For lowest noise cant beat high current discrete transistor.

ddwyer