Old February 18th 04, 02:58 PM
SpamLover

Default high quality graph of nice 0-100 analog scale?

I have a few slow-motion drives with pointers that I'd like to equip
with simple log scales. I have tried to split a half-circle scale by
means of a compass, and found it to be quite doable, but 1)
time-consuming, 2) messy, 2) leading to power-of-two end-of scale
values (obviously) that are anything but intuitive. I am not an
binary / octal / hex / kind of guy, and have no affinity for scales
that end at 64 or 128 or G_d forbid 256. I also tried making a 0-100
scale by means of Excel / PowerPoint / Openoffice, but their rendering
hits very soon an unsightly rough degree of approximation.

Is there any place on the web whence I can download some
high-definition graph for a 0-100 or 0-180 scale? I'd print it out in
large format and then reduce it to the size I need by means of an
ANALOG photocopier.

TIA

Spammy
Old February 18th 04, 07:07 PM
Avery Fineman

In article ,
(SpamLover) writes:

Is there any place on the web whence I can download some
high-definition graph for a 0-100 or 0-180 scale? I'd print it out in
large format and then reduce it to the size I need by means of an
ANALOG photocopier.

Here's some alternates -

Office Depot and Office Max chains have "graph paper" with
many kinds of scales...1, 2, 3, and 5 decade log scales by
linear or log on the opposing axis.

Analog-copy an old slide rule's C or D scales...themselves
fairly accurate single-log. [not many slide rules in common use
nowadays, heh heh, would be a fitting sayonara for them]

To actually draw one's own scale, get access to an old T-Square
(ancient drafting implement) and lay out a right triangle. Let a
large log scale be the hypotenuse (that side of the triangle on a
slant). Use the T-Square to get parallel vertical lines intersecting
marks on the log-scale hypotenuse to the horizontal (or vertical)
axis. The size reduction from original log scale to the new one
depends on the angle of the hypotenuse...very easy to "calibrate"
to start the marking.

Digital copying will depend on the quantization error of the number of
available pixels in the image. Most pronounced in absolute black-
and-white mode. Greyscale and color will show up in gradations and
one has to guess at the exact point of the log markings.

For very fancy dials, most industrial-strength photo shops can handle
up to 4x original art (perhaps to 11" x 14"), shoot it, reduce it to
very-close-to-desired dimension, and even opaque any clear spots on
the negative. That method can be the basis for a chemical etching of a
metal dial. Cost varies so it is best to inquire first on that method.

Len Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person

Yes, I've done a few things like the above, including round back-lighted
circular tuning dials. :-)

Old February 19th 04, 03:13 AM
xpyttl

go to:
http://hfradio.org/wb8rcr

On the lower left is a link to "Panel (not QSLmaker)"

om...

Old February 19th 04, 08:53 PM
Tom Bruhns

Nice and very useful, but appears to not do log scales as I believe
the OP wants. I hacked a simple Excel spreadsheet that would do fine,
except for the fact that Excel plots INCORRECT size segments
sometimes! Grrrr. Otherwise seems like it would be fine; it prints
just fine, to whatever your printer resolution is.

If the OP wants to try it in Excel perhaps a different way than he
first tried, here's what I did...
o One cell for degrees span, referenced in
next-to-last step.
o Make a column with the values where you want tics
(e.g., 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100).
There can be any number of them, at any values
(in sequence, of course).
o Next column over, take the log of the tic values
o Next column over, take the differences between
adjacent values in previous (log) column.
There will be n-1 of them.
o Just below last cell of differences column, create
a cell with
sum(column_above)*(360-degrees_span)/degrees_span
in it.
o Create a "donut" plot of the n values in the last
column. Adjust the colors to be all the same (or
not, as you please) and the inner circle to be
the radius you want. This doesn't label the tics,
but you should be able to do that in other progs
if you want. And the tics are all the same
length, which is suboptimal.

Should be easy to do in Scilab, too, and use Ghostscript to print
(like Panel and Dial do). That gives the ability to make different
size tics and to label them.

Cheers,
Tom

"xpyttl" wrote in message ...
go to:
http://hfradio.org/wb8rcr

On the lower left is a link to "Panel (not QSLmaker)"

..

om...

Old February 19th 04, 10:08 PM
Steve Nosko

Hey! Another swell use for Excel. I just did my meter faces with a drawing
program. I do all kinds of graphing in Excel.
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

m...

"xpyttl" wrote in message

go to:
http://hfradio.org/wb8rcr

On the lower left is a link to "Panel (not QSLmaker)"

..

om...

Old February 20th 04, 08:04 PM
Duncan Clark

In message , SpamLover
writes
Is there any place on the web whence I can download some
high-definition graph for a 0-100 or 0-180 scale? I'd print it out in
large format and then reduce it to the size I need by means of an
ANALOG photocopier.

http://www.qsl.net/wb6bld/meter.html

Duncan
--
Support bacteria. They are the only culture some people have.

Duncan Clark