Old February 26th 04, 03:32 AM
Dougwix

Default One Tube Superhet

Back in the late 60's, I built a one tube superhet from a magazine called
Elementary Electronics. I still have that radio but not the magazine. Can
anyone tell me what month and year had that project? The circuit uses a 6M11
compactron and a 1N34 detector.
Doug
Old February 26th 04, 04:34 AM
Capoot

Doug,
This is not the circuit you are thinking of but the Fremodyne is a one tube
superhet. One triode of a 12AT7 is the local oscillator, the other is a
converter/super-regenerative detector at the I.F. frequency. Several radio
manufacturers produced them as low cost fm receivers in the late 1940's.
ray

Old February 27th 04, 05:09 PM
mcalhoun

Back in the late 60's, I built a one tube superhet from a magazine called
Elementary Electronics. I still have that radio but not the magazine. Can
anyone tell me what month and year had that project? The circuit uses a 6M11
compactron and a 1N34 detector.

I've not seen that magazine nor that particular circuit, but I do have a
photocopy of "Project E10" (apparently from a set of projects?) with the
title "One-Compactron Receiver - All Bands" and a footnote "Reprinted by
permission of Popular Electronics magazine", but with NO citation.

FWIW, the particular compactron this article uses is a 6AF11, but it appears
to be a one-stage regenerative receiver followed by two stages of audio.

For such a small circuit, it shouldn't be too difficult to regenerate the
schematic; I did it once for an All-American Five.

--Myron.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD EE (retired). "Barbershop" tenor. CDL(PTXS). W0PBV. (785) 539-4448

Old February 27th 04, 08:39 PM
Geoffrey G. Rochat

Dougwix wrote in message
Back in the late 60's, I built a one tube superhet from a magazine called
Elementary Electronics. I still have that radio but not the magazine. Can
anyone tell me what month and year had that project? The circuit uses a

6M11
compactron and a 1N34 detector.
Doug

WA2ISE has a site that describes interesting mods to "All-American 5" AM
radios, and the following URL discusses a 3 Compactron set. By changing the
rectifier and detector to solid state devices, and either sacrificing IF
gain and/or speaker output, it might be possible to squeeze all that into
two triodes and a pentode, which is what's in a 6M11. It's not exactly what
you're looking for, but it may give you or somebody else some clever ideas:

http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/compaa3.html

W0PBV wrote elsewhere in this thread of a "Project E10, One-Compactron
Receiver - All Bands" article in "Popular Electronics" magazine. This may
be the article to which he refers:

http://www.jvgavila.com/compac.htm

Old February 27th 04, 08:47 PM
Dale Parfitt

"mcalhoun" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Myron,

I built the 6AF11 regen- it is a very nice little receiver. My version can
be seen at:
http://parelectronics.com/pics/regen2.jpg

Dale W4OP

Old March 11th 04, 11:30 PM