Old February 29th 04, 01:12 AM
SWbeginner

Default Which DDS chip?

I like to experiment with the Analog Devices DDS for a receiver.
Anyone have a favorite one with good features and least hassle?

Old February 29th 04, 01:27 AM
xpyttl

The 9850 seems to be pretty popular. You can plunk one down on a DDS
daughtercard from NJQRP or get one of the Far Circuits boards (although in
my experience their quality is a tad spotty).

The Tayloe mixer can be fed with a 9854 and that looks like a fun experiment
but the 9854 only seems to be available in impossible packages.

Old February 29th 04, 08:25 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"xpyttl" wrote in message
The 9850 seems to be pretty popular. You can plunk one down on a DDS
daughtercard from NJQRP or get one of the Far Circuits boards (although in
my experience their quality is a tad spotty).

The Tayloe mixer can be fed with a 9854 and that looks like a fun

experiment
but the 9854 only seems to be available in impossible packages.

The packaging is not "impossible" - it just takes some different techniques
to do the
soldering - read the QEX article on a DDS/PLL synthesiser in the latest
issue of QEX
and check out the SMT stuff on the ARRL website ... DIPs are all but gone -
that is
the reality, and other "through hole" parts are getting (and will continue
to get more and
more) scarce and expensive, as industry has gone to SMT in a BIG way
because:
1) it's better (preformance, due to reduced parasitics from leads, also more
reliable if
done right ...)
2) it's cheaper
3) it allows things to be build smaller
4) it doesn't eat up space on all the layers of the PCB for through holes

73,
Carl - wk3c

Old February 29th 04, 10:32 PM
xpyttl

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

The packaging is not "impossible" - it just takes some different

techniques
to do the
soldering - read the QEX article on a DDS/PLL synthesiser in the latest
issue of QEX

I'm pretty comfortable with SOP's and can get along with a TSSOP's, although
I can't say I like it. In that article, he used TQFP's which, although I
haven't yet had the need, I suspect I can deal with. I use the same
technique for TSSOP's that he describes in the article.

But when I tried to order samples of 9854's the other day, the only choice
was BGA's. I have no clue how to deal with them. Yeah, solder paste and an
oven MAYBE, but without machine placement seems like a crap shoot.

Old February 29th 04, 11:06 PM
John Miles

In article ,
says...
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

The packaging is not "impossible" - it just takes some different

techniques
to do the
soldering - read the QEX article on a DDS/PLL synthesiser in the latest
issue of QEX

I'm pretty comfortable with SOP's and can get along with a TSSOP's, although
I can't say I like it. In that article, he used TQFP's which, although I
haven't yet had the need, I suspect I can deal with. I use the same
technique for TSSOP's that he describes in the article.

Actually, the 16-pin PLL chips are TSSOPs, while the AD9852/AD9854
packages I used are considered "LQFP" packages. These are a little
thicker than TQFP but are otherwise pretty similar. The DDSes have the
same spacing between pins as the TSSOPs (0.5 mm) but more of 'em (80).

But when I tried to order samples of 9854's the other day, the only choice
was BGA's. I have no clue how to deal with them. Yeah, solder paste and an
oven MAYBE, but without machine placement seems like a crap shoot.

That's not good news. BGAs really *are* the end of the world for
homebrewing as far as I'm aware. I have not heard of any techniques for
soldering them by hand.

Interestingly, though, having just checked FindChips.com, Digi-Key
appears to be selling both AD9852ASQs
(
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...ame=AD9852ASQ-
ND&Site=US) and ADF4112 PLLs
(http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...sus.dll?PName?
Name=ADF4112BRU-ND&Site=US). That *is* good news. I'll have to go
update the article page.

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

Old March 1st 04, 02:49 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"xpyttl" wrote in message
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

The packaging is not "impossible" - it just takes some different

techniques
to do the
soldering - read the QEX article on a DDS/PLL synthesiser in the latest
issue of QEX

I'm pretty comfortable with SOP's and can get along with a TSSOP's,

although
I can't say I like it. In that article, he used TQFP's which, although I
haven't yet had the need, I suspect I can deal with. I use the same
technique for TSSOP's that he describes in the article.

But when I tried to order samples of 9854's the other day, the only choice
was BGA's. I have no clue how to deal with them. Yeah, solder paste and

an
oven MAYBE, but without machine placement seems like a crap shoot.

With BGAs you HAVE to reflow solder ... however if the prep is right, they
should
"self-center" (as do most SMDs) on the pads if you're close enough - it's
interesting to
watch manually placed SMD resistors, caps, etc. actually move an center
themselves
up on the pads due to surface tension effects when the solder reflows ... IF
the pads
are well-designed and balanced.

73,
Carl - wk3c