Old March 2nd 04, 09:57 AM
David Lindsay

Default slow process

On my first attempt using a recently purchased alcohol still, it took over
6hrs to make around 4 liters of alcohol. We were running the temp steady at
around 84 degs. When I finally decided to increase the temp to 90 degs is
started flowing faster. Should we have ran it hotter from the start. How
long does it usually take to run off 5ltrs.

Any tips would be appreciated

Old March 2nd 04, 02:33 PM
Mike Andrews

David Lindsay wrote:
On my first attempt using a recently purchased alcohol still, it took over
6hrs to make around 4 liters of alcohol. We were running the temp steady at
around 84 degs. When I finally decided to increase the temp to 90 degs is
started flowing faster. Should we have ran it hotter from the start. How
long does it usually take to run off 5ltrs.

Any tips would be appreciated

Well, it appears that in at least one respect .au law _does_ differ
significantly from .us law.

This group, however, is a _radio_ homebrew newsgroup, not an _alcohol_
homebrewing newsgroup -- although some of us resort to alcohol to
recover from the problems inherent in the radio kind of homebrewing.

Just remember that the first 5-10% and the last 5-10% of your run will
be full of things like fusel oils and methanol, and should _not_ be
consumed.

--
"My father, he made whiskey;
His father, he did, too.

Old March 2nd 04, 03:35 PM

"Mike Andrews" wrote in message
David Lindsay wrote:
[...]

You can still brew it here in the US, but only for personal consumption,
your are allowed 2 or 3 gallons a month per person or each family member.

Best thing to get the info you are looking for is to go to goggle and do a
search for homebrewing.

From personal experience, use the lowest temp, be careful not to scorch the
mash. I was raised in the hills of eastern Kentucky where everyone brewed
their own.

Jim

---

Old March 2nd 04, 03:42 PM

David Lindsay wrote:
[...]

From personal experience, use the lowest temp, be careful not to scorch

the
mash. I was raised in the hills of eastern Kentucky where everyone brewed
their own.

Jim

Change that goggle search to "moonshine"

Jim

---

Old March 2nd 04, 04:19 PM
xpyttl

wrote in message

Change that goggle search to "moonshine"

Back when I was first licensed, I lived down near the corner of Ohio, West
Virginia and Kentucky. There were many, many late night QSOs on 6 meter AM.
Some of them old boys back in the hills used to have great stories about the
revenuers that seemed particularly appropriate in the wee hours.

So, maybe for me it sounds like it is on topic:
rec. --- ummmm, yeah
radio.amateur. --- yeppers - brings back memories
homebrew --- oh yeah

Old March 2nd 04, 05:53 PM
Tom Bruhns

Um, David? Perhaps you should read the group name. This is an
amateur radio newsgroup, not a group for homebrew alcohol (or other
recreational chemicals). We do get the occasional posting here on
those topics, but they're relatively rare.

OTOH, yes, the hotter you run things, the faster they will go, but
you'll also carry over more water. That's an advantage of a
fractional distillation column, but I suppose you don't have that.
You can also make things go faster by increasing the surface area of
the liquid in the vessel you're heating: a bigger still. It would
also go faster if you pulled a vacuum on the output end, but then be
sure to run your condenser cold enough to pull the ethanol out.