Old March 7th 04, 08:57 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default Kemet mil-spec cap ???

At a hamfest I picked up a bunch of what I think are axial lead tubular
metal case tantalum capacitors by Kemet. Case size B and C. I'm going to
call Kemet tomorrow but in the mean time I wonder if anyone can decipher the
code the capacitance and voltage.
+M 39003 01-2035 7440MB 31433 JM, it measures 70 microfarads
+M390003 01-2021 7452MD 31433 MW , it measures 17 microfards
M390003 01-K 2017 7426MA 31433 JA, it measures 33 microfarads

From the Kemet website I know that M390003 is mil-spec and the 31433 is the
source code whatever that means. I think the last two letters are the date
code but the 01-XXX and XXMX escape me but I'd guess it's the stuff I want
to know! Any help appreciated.

73
Hank WD5JFR

Old March 8th 04, 05:55 PM
Henry Kolesnik

After several calls to the factory I was able to find someone who had a book
on the codes. Here's what he gave me when he figured out what number was
important.
2116 = 1uF @ 50V
2064 = 6.8uF @ 35V
2139 = 18uF @ 50V
2031 = 22 uF @ 15V
2017 = 33uF @ 10V
2004-J = 47uF @ 6V
2035 = 68uF @ 15V
2021 = 100uF @ 10V
I've measured several on two different capacitor meters and all read close
to what the factory told me. I wonder why they coded the values with
numbers that don't make any sense? Military intellligence?
73
Hank WD5JFR

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
news
At a hamfest I picked up a bunch of what I think are axial lead tubular
metal case tantalum capacitors by Kemet. Case size B and C. I'm going to
call Kemet tomorrow but in the mean time I wonder if anyone can decipher

the
code the capacitance and voltage.
+M 39003 01-2035 7440MB 31433 JM, it measures 70 microfarads
+M390003 01-2021 7452MD 31433 MW , it measures 17 microfards
M390003 01-K 2017 7426MA 31433 JA, it measures 33 microfarads

From the Kemet website I know that M390003 is mil-spec and the 31433 is

the

Old March 8th 04, 09:44 PM
Al

In article om,
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote:

After several calls to the factory I was able to find someone who had a book
on the codes. Here's what he gave me when he figured out what number was
important.
2116 = 1uF @ 50V
2064 = 6.8uF @ 35V
2139 = 18uF @ 50V
2031 = 22 uF @ 15V
2017 = 33uF @ 10V
2004-J = 47uF @ 6V
2035 = 68uF @ 15V
2021 = 100uF @ 10V
I've measured several on two different capacitor meters and all read close
to what the factory told me. I wonder why they coded the values with
numbers that don't make any sense? Military intellligence?
73
Hank WD5JFR

The numbers, like 2116, are just sequencial numbers on a very large
table that covers many pages in a manual. The numbers make sense
when you have the manual.

Al

--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

Old March 9th 04, 01:35 AM
Avery Fineman

In article om, "Henry
Kolesnik" writes:

I've measured several on two different capacitor meters and all read close
to what the factory told me. I wonder why they coded the values with
numbers that don't make any sense? Military intellligence?

No, Hank, having a new number set to anything is the result of every
manufacturer assigning THEIR own arbitrary number or letter ID to
their products. The military and the government is stuck with a
TOTAL variety of spare parts that can boggle the mind...and does
sometimes tax the efforts of those responsible for maintaining the
logistics of vital parts of EVERYTHING for our government's needs.

I've been up to my elbows in Mil Specs quite enough in the past
half century and just accept it as part of the environment. If you
consult those Mil Specs long enough, you will see that there IS an
order on ID, nomenclature, and so forth. Not only that, but aside
from COTS stocks, a tantalum cap built to a certain Mil Spec will
be the same value, size, rating, and shape from another
manufacturer. Same with resistors, inductors, etc., etc., etc.

Try that with more than one commercial component manufacturer
especially when there's a production run going on and the parts
supply is lagging and the parts from another manufacturer don't
fit. Deep trouble time. Or one manufacturer may add on some
suffix letters or numbers to a so-called "standard" part because
they make an "improved line" of products and the purchasing
department doesn't adjust to this other manufacture's IDs...

The center for Military Intelligence schooling and operations is at
Fort Huachuca, AZ. They have a website with interesting stuff on
M.I. history in it.

Len Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person

Old March 9th 04, 03:11 AM
Jim Adney

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:44:10 GMT Al wrote:

In article om,
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote:

After several calls to the factory I was able to find someone who had a book
on the codes. Here's what he gave me when he figured out what number was
important.
2116 = 1uF @ 50V
2064 = 6.8uF @ 35V
2139 = 18uF @ 50V
2031 = 22 uF @ 15V
2017 = 33uF @ 10V
2004-J = 47uF @ 6V
2035 = 68uF @ 15V
2021 = 100uF @ 10V
I've measured several on two different capacitor meters and all read close
to what the factory told me. I wonder why they coded the values with
numbers that don't make any sense? Military intellligence?

The numbers, like 2116, are just sequencial numbers on a very large
table that covers many pages in a manual. The numbers make sense
when you have the manual.

Okay, but why pick an identifiction method that requires a manual?
Most other components this size, including theirs, just have the
relevant numbers printed on them.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Old March 9th 04, 01:00 PM
Henry Kolesnik

One serious shortcome of this system is that a tech in the field would have
a tough or impossible time replacing a known defective capacitor, say
shorted, with the correct value without a cross reference of mil numbers vs
value. The system is oxymoronic in this case as is military intelligence in
many more and I served!
73
Hank WD5JFR

PT9783 spec?? zindazenda Homebrew 0 February 9th 04 02:50 AM
SMA connector on VX-2R out of spec? Tad Marko Equipment 4 August 26th 03 04:55 AM
SMA connector on VX-2R out of spec? Tad Marko Equipment 0 August 25th 03 08:54 PM
Valve equivalent or spec for Mullard YL1321 steve H Homebrew 2 August 16th 03 09:33 AM
Valve equivalent or spec for Mullard YL1321 steve H Homebrew 0 August 15th 03 02:47 PM