Old March 22nd 04, 03:38 PM
J Shrum

Default Disk capacitor value question.

I spent the morning parusing google groups, and found many different answers
for the same question.

What I'm trying to understand is; on a disk capacitor that is labeled 560,
common sense would tell me 56pf instead of 560pf since 561 on a cap would be
560pf.

Many have asked, but no one ever gave a definate answer. Can anyone give me
a definate answer on this?

Thanks for the assistance

James Shrum
KC9FFX

Old March 22nd 04, 04:33 PM
John

"J Shrum" wrote in message
I spent the morning parusing google groups, and found many different

answers
for the same question.

What I'm trying to understand is; on a disk capacitor that is labeled 560,
common sense would tell me 56pf instead of 560pf since 561 on a cap would

be
560pf.

Many have asked, but no one ever gave a definate answer. Can anyone give

me
a definate answer on this?

Thanks for the assistance

James Shrum
KC9FFX

See the following:

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/sup...=kbg&pagenum=4

John

Old March 22nd 04, 04:46 PM
Tim Wescott

"J Shrum" wrote in message
I spent the morning parusing google groups, and found many different

answers
for the same question.

What I'm trying to understand is; on a disk capacitor that is labeled 560,
common sense would tell me 56pf instead of 560pf since 561 on a cap would

be
560pf.

Many have asked, but no one ever gave a definate answer. Can anyone give

me
a definate answer on this?

Thanks for the assistance

James Shrum
KC9FFX

I have capacitors marked "330" that are 33pF, and capacitors marked "330"
that are 330pF. If it's xx1, xx2, etc., then you can trust it, but if it's
xx0 and you don't know that manufacturer's numbering scheme then you should
measure it!

Old March 22nd 04, 05:09 PM
J Shrum

I guess that explains why I've seen 30 different answers )

Thanks for the quick response. Guess I gotta score a C meter.

Thanks again

Old March 22nd 04, 06:48 PM
Tom Bruhns

It's sad but true that some manufacturers use "560" to indicate 56pF
and some use "560" to indicate 560pF. I've fretted over this same
thing in the past. I have examples of both. Fortunately, the trend
seems to be toward the usage that, as you say, is common sense. Too
bad it has not been universal.

Cheers,
Tom

Old March 22nd 04, 07:51 PM
Steve Nosko

"J Shrum" wrote in message
I guess that explains why I've seen 30 different answers )

Thanks for the quick response. Guess I gotta score a C meter.

Or a resistor and sig generator ... either sine or square wave can be used
with the proper technique.
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.