Old April 26th 04, 01:06 AM
Lou

As I tried to imply, I thought I would take a last shot to try to find the
"exact" match. Seemed to me, someone once suggested that these units were
still selling over in the UK. Failing that, I would have to redesign this
thing to work another way. The ideas submitted are great and well... it's
off to the parts bins to see what I can scare up. My luck, everything but
what I need.

Thanks again for all replies. It is appreciated.

Lou

"Michael Black" wrote in message
"Lou" ) writes:
I've been looking for a 4 pin voltage regulator. I have a particular

number
in mind (uA78HG), but so far as I know, they're not in production

anymore.
I've looked in a couple places on line for a 4 pin job, with no luck.

Since
the one I "need" seems to be gone for good, right now I'm willing to use

any
12 vdc - 15 vdc 1 Amp or more voltage regulator to get my power supply

going
to any extent - rather than leaving it collect dust or tearing it apart.

Failing finding a VR of my needs, I guess I'll have to redesign this

thing
to work some other way. I thought a last minute search may produce

something
to make life easier. Any ideas? With all the crap I have here, I could

build
a few power supplies (probably). But never ever - do I have the part "I"
need.

Lou

But they were never popular. Occasionally, there'd be an article in the

hobby
and/or ham magazines about them, but they rarely made it into published
construction articles. Sure, that doesn't reflect whether or not

something
is used commercially, but it does suggest that there was something about
them that never caught on.

The question to ask is why you need the four terminal regulators.
What is it that makes you want to use one instead of a three terminal
regulator? The LM317 (and 337 for negative voltages) is a variable
three terminal regulator, and far more common, not just now but
forever. Not enough current (though I didn't think the 4 terminal
regulators were particular better than the average 3 terminal regulator
in that regard)? Then pick a regulator that does have better than
usual current. You could find them years ago, though not so commonly,
and I can't think why they wouldn't be around still. Or use an
external transistor to boost current. Or there is something verys
specific about the four-terminal regulator that you need, but in order
to come up with a workaround, you need to be specific of the need.

If you just need a regulator, virtually anything will fit in there,
and you just wire it properly and ignore the fourth terminal.

Michael VE2BVW

Old April 26th 04, 03:16 AM
Ralph Mowery

"Lou" wrote in message
[...]

Is the NTE 953 one that you can use as a replacement ?

Old April 26th 04, 05:06 AM

Lou wrote:

I've been looking for a 4 pin voltage regulator. I have a particular number
in mind (uA78HG), but so far as I know, they're not in production anymore.
I've looked in a couple places on line for a 4 pin job, with no luck. Since
the one I "need" seems to be gone for good, right now I'm willing to use any
12 vdc - 15 vdc 1 Amp or more voltage regulator to get my power supply going
to any extent - rather than leaving it collect dust or tearing it apart.

Failing finding a VR of my needs, I guess I'll have to redesign this thing
to work some other way. I thought a last minute search may produce something
to make life easier. Any ideas? With all the crap I have here, I could build
a few power supplies (probably). But never ever - do I have the part "I"
need.

Lou

You need a compelling reason NOT to use a 3 terminal
chip to replace the 4 terminal thing. For example,
an LM317 and 1 resistor and 1 pot creates a variable
regulator. 3 components - top that with a 4 terminal
regulator. There's no design to do. Go to the datasheet
and the schematic is there.

Old April 26th 04, 09:12 PM
G.Beat

"Lou" wrote in message
[...]

MicroPac is listing their part number 52150/52175 as a replacement for 78HGA
http://www.micropac.com/pdf/products/VR52150-52175.pdf

MicroPac's statement on obsolescence:
Due to the many problems our industry is dealing with today due to
obsolescence issues, and the decisions made by many of our competitors to
exit the military marketplace, Micropac Industries, Inc. want to take this
opportunity to assure our valued customers that we will continue to support
their requirements for high-reliability products. Our Company has no
intention of making obsolete any currently produced devices. Our charter is
to continue to support our customers with the same quality products as we
have successfully produced for more that three (3) decades.

That should work !

Greg