Old January 19th 16, 04:09 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default A further question on the VNWA from SDR-kits

Can they be used to plot the setting up of Xtal ladder filters, which would
mean the
ability to control the frequency sweep to as little as a few kHz?

I ask because the Hameg speccy that I have, although good for harmonic
checks,
has a minimum sweep of 1 MHz.

Old January 19th 16, 04:34 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
Can they be used to plot the setting up of Xtal ladder filters, which
would mean the
ability to control the frequency sweep to as little as a few kHz?

I ask because the Hameg speccy that I have, although good for harmonic
checks,
has a minimum sweep of 1 MHz.

that should read Mc/s OM ....

Old January 19th 16, 04:43 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"gareth" wrote in message
Can they be used to plot the setting up of Xtal ladder filters, which
would mean the
ability to control the frequency sweep to as little as a few kHz?

I ask because the Hameg speccy that I have, although good for harmonic
checks,
has a minimum sweep of 1 MHz.

that should read Mc/s OM ....

That depends on the age of the equipment!

Condensers and Mc/s before 1960

Capacitors and MHz post 1960

Old January 19th 16, 05:12 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , gareth
writes

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"gareth" wrote in message
Can they be used to plot the setting up of Xtal ladder filters, which
would mean the
ability to control the frequency sweep to as little as a few kHz?

I ask because the Hameg speccy that I have, although good for harmonic
checks,
has a minimum sweep of 1 MHz.

that should read Mc/s OM ....

That depends on the age of the equipment!

Condensers and Mc/s before 1960

Capacitors and MHz post 1960

The Germans were using MHz much earlier (almost for ever).

The UK started in the latter 60s, and at first it was supposed to be
only an electrical unit.

With any sweep equipment, in addition to the sweep width you also need
to know the sweep speed. The first is in MHz (or Mc/s), and the second
is in MHz/s (or Mc/s/s).

--
Ian
Old January 19th 16, 05:28 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

With any sweep equipment, in addition to the sweep width you also need to
know the sweep speed. The first is in MHz (or Mc/s), and the second is in
MHz/s (or Mc/s/s).

I'd have to dig out the manual to answer that!

I believe that I have the option to contrive smaller sweep speeds but by
driving the
instrument on a frequency-by-frequency basis via the USB port.

However, as a profeesional softy emeritus, I've never yet mixed up my job
and my pastimes!

Old January 20th 16, 08:26 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"gareth" wrote in message
Can they be used to plot the setting up of Xtal ladder filters, which
would mean the
ability to control the frequency sweep to as little as a few kHz?

I ask because the Hameg speccy that I have, although good for harmonic
checks,
has a minimum sweep of 1 MHz.

that should read Mc/s OM ....

That depends on the age of the equipment!

Condensers and Mc/s before 1960

Capacitors and MHz post 1960

The Germans were using MHz much earlier (almost for ever).

The UK started in the latter 60s, and at first it was supposed to be only
an electrical unit.

With any sweep equipment, in addition to the sweep width you also need to
know the sweep speed. The first is in MHz (or Mc/s), and the second is in
MHz/s (or Mc/s/s).

but hertz means NOTHING whereas c/s describes cycles per second ...much
better ...

Old January 20th 16, 09:03 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , Jeff writes

With any sweep equipment, in addition to the sweep width you also need
to know the sweep speed. The first is in MHz (or Mc/s), and the second
is in MHz/s (or Mc/s/s).

Mc/s/s.... isn't that an acceleration? (:-))

Jeff

Only if your sweep timebase is non-linear - in which case the
acceleration could be either positive or negative.

--
Ian
Old January 20th 16, 10:19 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
but hertz means NOTHING whereas c/s describes cycles per second ...much
better ...

Whereas Ampere means ions per second

Old January 20th 16, 11:01 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
gareth wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
but hertz means NOTHING whereas c/s describes cycles per second ...much
better ...

Whereas Ampere means ions per second

Charge (Coulombs) per second.
One Amp is one Coulomb per second.

You missed the point, for, in your argument, think for yourself as to what
is
a Coulomb, also named after a person.

I chose ions specifically and not electrons because of the flow in the
electrolyte
of lead acid cells, and in the electrolyte of electroplating tanks,

Old January 20th 16, 11:15 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 20/01/2016 10:43, Brian Reay wrote:
gareth wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote

but hertz means NOTHING whereas c/s describes cycles per second ...much
better ...

Whereas Ampere means ions per second

Charge (Coulombs) per second.

One Amp is one Coulomb per second.

Since the Ampere and the second are fundamental units in the SI system,
and the Coulomb is a unit derived from them and therefore is not a
fundamental unit, then one should say that

1 Coulomb = 1 Ampere-second

Read up on 'SI fundamental units'.

HTH

--
Spike

"They thought that because they had power, they had wisdom"

- with apologies to Stephen Vincent Benet