Old March 10th 16, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [N6PSE] Tour the RV Braveheart

n6pse

Tour the RV Braveheart

https://n6pse.wordpress.com/2016/03/...rv-braveheart/

The R/V Braveheart at anchor, South Georgia Island.

The RV Braveheart has been the subject of intense interest lately with her
recent voyages to South Sandwich and South Georgia and soon to be underway
to Heard Island. I thought my readers might find it interesting to learn a
little bit more about this ship and her amazingly dedicated crew.

The Braveheart was constructed in Japan for the Japanese Government as a
fisheries research vessel. She is 39 meters in length and has an all steel
hull. The Braveheart has a massive 1200 HP Niigata engine and a single
screw (propeller).

The Braveheart carries a crew of six and twelve passengers. She also
carries two smaller boats, a jet boat and a rigid inflatable boat (RIB).

The Braveheart has a crane on the rear deck and a second crane on the
second deck. She is a working boat, built not for comfort or speed but for
getting there in back. Safety is the most important concept on the
Braveheart.

The Braveheart is owned by Nigel Jolly. Â*Neil and Nigel’s son Matt
alternate voyages as the Captain. The Braveheart is based in Palmerston,
North Island New Zealand and they seem to be willing to go anywhere!

Our crew: Charlie, Nick, Billy, Jason, Neil and Nigel.

The Braveheart is very radio friendly They will allow you to set up a
station and an antenna. Here, our Hustler vertical antenna is mounted above
the aft deck.

Our gear and equipment is stored in the containers on the Helicopter deck.

There are two cranes. The aft crane is under the blue cover.

A view of the wheel house

Always on watch for ice bergs.

Neil was our Captain. A very fine man!

The chart table just behind the Captains chair.

This is the Comms area. Bravheart has low-speed Iridium, VHF and HF
communications.

I enjoy a moment in theÂ*best seat in the house

When at sea, the bow area is often awash.

Charlie and Neil watch the electronics for ice bergs.

This is the RIB boat.

Billy prepares the jet boat.

David-K3LP operates as VP8IDX/MM in the Library.

Nigel discusses potential landing spots for Southern Thule Island.

Breakfast is at 7AM, dont be late!

Team members assemble the Hustler vertical for /MM use.

The Braveheart has quite a wall full of DXpedition of the Year awards.

Many mementoes of past DXpeditions.

You are invited to hang your card on the wall.

The main hallway from bow to stern.

Charlie makes some tasty and interesting meals in the galley.

Libations are enjoyed

Followed by a song or two or threeor twenty or thirty.

The aft deck. This area is off limits in heavy seas for safety reasons.

A nice BBQ was enjoyed at South Georgia.

Visiting ships were invited aboard.

Through the work shop to the shower.

Hang your wet stuff here or else!

Chief Engineer Nick gives us an engine room tour.

The 1200 HP Niigata engine.

This is a high noise environment.

Electrical panels.

Auxiliary generators.

Down below, bunk rooms on each side.

The bunks are small and cozy. There is minimal storage. Barf buckets
provided.

I spent many hours lying in my bunk thinking about those famous and
fearless Dxpeditioners that had gone aboard before me. I wondered who had
occupied this bunk before I did? What aspects of life aboard the Braveheart
did they enjoy? Your time on the Braveheart is not easy. Ceilings are low
and you with bash your head and knees frequently. The Braveheart ride can
be quite rough. Many of us experienced being airborne in our bunks during
rough seas. You can have a hot & steamy shower in calm seas but you will
have cold sea water washing over your feet. Time on the Braveheart is not
for the meek or timid. If you come with a tourist mentality, you are in for
quite an awakening.

The best aspects of the Braveheart are not the comfort level or the food.
The best aspects are her Captain and crew. They have an amazing can do
attitude. They are completely focused on safety and on success of the
mission. They are strong, even stronger willed and determined to achieve
success. I was amazed at the willingness and the vitality of each and every
member of the crew.

I have many more photos and stories of life aboard the Braveheart, but
there is a saying:

what happens on Braveheart stays on Braveheart

What do you think?