Old August 20th 04, 12:23 AM
bviel

Yes, I did read the whole thread, how could a restate whitout reading the
The "restate" is also the way a do measure S-parameters.
And I did say you need an angle also.
reflection coefficient = Vreflected/Vincident = polar magn. and angle
Whit angle I mean Phase Shift.
If you can measure polar magn. and angle, there is no need to go MUCH
deeper.
The fact you did go much deeper is? Use of analog equipment.
The question was, instead of use VNA, use oscilloscoop?
Lissajous figures measurement method is very basic stuff, its stated in my
scopes
manuel.
Work with complex numbers and Smith Chart is a hobby of me, so I know too
what is a "complex load".
How to construct a direction coupler, stripline, any impedance, frequency,
even a
direction coupler for every frequency if you only have to measure phase
shift.
To measure the magn. I use the bridge of Wheatstone, with a zero biassed
Schottky detector diode DVM and some formules.
To give 40,000 $ for a VNA is one way, do it with "things" around you with
the
same results, Hey isn't that homebrew?
I don't think there is anything I can't measure, even noise density ! If it
can't be
measured, I can calculate it.

Now the purpose for my reaction was, that you where going to think, hey
dummy
HOW did you do it?
Instead of that you did reply, we where MUCH deeper....
That's the way (maybe a little unfair) I did reply, did I miss something?
I learnt that you should not trough your self away, someone else will do it
for you !

BTW the scope is limited to 1Ghz, digital, full of wave calculations,
anything you name.

Man... did you hurt me MUCH !

Would this be the end of this thread, a would not hurt anyone.
Maybe I should have not reply at all, I choose the wrong "entry".

"Steve Nosko" schreef in bericht

"bviel" wrote in message
Use a direction coupler for forward and reverse measurement.
Use a 2 Chan. Scope great bandwith not nessesary, it is the amplitude

that
is to be measured.
reflection coefficient = Vreflected/Vincident = polar magn. and angle
Chris Bowick Book page 104, reflection coefficient may be plotted

directly
in the Smith Chart, and the corresponding impedance read off the chart.
Or did I missed something?

Yup, much of what was said. You simply restated it, to some degree. We
were MUCH deeper...way past the basics.

The scope has to work reasonably well at the frequency of interest. They
can die pretty fast abofe their useful frequency.

You also have to measure *phase* between the two signals.
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

"Joe Rocci" schreef in bericht
Steve,
A decent (not the dollar store variety) CATV splitter has directivity

of
about 30 dB from 5Mhz to over 500 MHZ. I think this would do the job.

Joe
W3JDR

Steve Nosko wrote in message

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:53:44 GMT, "Joe Rocci"

wrote:

Here's an idea that's just whacky enough that it might work...has
anyone
tried it?

If you have a dual-trace scope with enough bandwidth, you might

be
able
use
Lissajous patterns. The idea would be to drive the complex load

through
directional coupler with fairly good directivity. A sample of the
incident
signal would go into the scope X input and a sample of the

reflected
signal
would go into the Y input. With a pure reactance as a calibration

load,
adjust the X and Y scope gain for a perfect circle on the

display.
Replace
the test load with a complex load, and the magnitude and

inclination
of
the
line/oval display can tell you amplitude and phase of the

reflected
signal,
from which any other metric can be calculated.

Nice idea, Joe! If it could only be made to work, you'd be a

genius.
--

OK Actually, this looks good as long as you have a directional

coupler
for
the frequency of interest! Paul didn't say. (SWR Bridge, actual

bridge,
for lower frequencies) You'll also have to allow for the difference

in
location of the two samples by adjusting the line lengths to the two

scope
probes intil they are both at the same "distance" from the load.

Judging
phase shift from a circle can't be as good as simply looking at the

two
waveforms. The scope horiz gain can be adjusted for some nice

number
of
divisions for each half cycle, say 9...
I've got a 100MHz. dual trace storage scope, but any directional
couplers around here only will be down to 130 Mhz at best... I do

also
have
a good bridge for down to 5 MHz., (also about 1 meter worth of

stretch
line...so it is possible as long as the power level is within the

bridge
capability.
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Measuring Zin David Homebrew 0 May 21st 04 03:35 PM
Measuring radiation resistance Paul Burridge Homebrew 0 December 8th 03 12:55 AM
Measuring Velocity Factor w/ MFJ-259 Jason Dugas Equipment 36 November 6th 03 08:18 PM
Measuring Velocity Factor w/ MFJ-259 Jason Dugas Homebrew 44 November 6th 03 08:18 PM
Measuring Velocity Factor w/ MFJ-259 Jason Dugas Homebrew 0 October 30th 03 04:38 AM