Old September 4th 04, 05:00 AM
PDRUNEN

Default Q: cleaning old Potentiometers

Hi Group,

Many thanks to my question about the 100MHz OSC, I did recall I asked about
them a few years back. I was back looking at a RF down-converter for my
FRG-9600.

This was based on an article in Ham Radio Mag around 84 time frame. I good ham
sold me a few of the crystals which have 100 MHz on them and the article has
the circuit which should get it up to 100 MHz.

Anyway, I have a few volume controls which need to be cleaned, is there
anything over-the-counter which would do the job?

Tnx de KJ4UO
Old September 4th 04, 05:02 AM
divot

"PDRUNEN" wrote in message
Hi Group,

Many thanks to my question about the 100MHz OSC, I did recall I asked

about
them a few years back. I was back looking at a RF down-converter for my
FRG-9600.

This was based on an article in Ham Radio Mag around 84 time frame. I

good ham
sold me a few of the crystals which have 100 MHz on them and the article

has
the circuit which should get it up to 100 MHz.

Anyway, I have a few volume controls which need to be cleaned, is there
anything over-the-counter which would do the job?

Tnx de KJ4UO

Tuner cleaner - hard to find now

Old September 4th 04, 05:41 AM

Allied, http://www.alliedelec.com has several variaties as does Mouser,
http://www.mouser.com if you don't have a local real electronics store.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old September 4th 04, 08:58 AM
Roy Lewallen

Gad, I haven't seen carbon tet for sale in this country for decades. It
can seriously damage internal organs and the nervous system, so I
wouldn't use the stuff even if you could find some. You can get other,
less toxic (although not non-toxic) solvents like toluene or acetone
that can do about the same job at paint and DIY stores.

I've had very good luck using WD-40 for the purpose, though. It's a very
good solvent, can find its way in through the small gap around a shaft
or other places, and leaves a lubricating film on the element. Variable
resistor wipers and switch and connector contacts don't seem to have any
trouble cutting through the lubricating film to make good contact.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Mike W wrote:
On 04 Sep 2004 04:00:55 GMT, (PDRUNEN) wrote:

Anyway, I have a few volume controls which need to be cleaned, is there
anything over-the-counter which would do the job?

WD40 or Carbon Tetra-chloride ?

Old September 4th 04, 11:59 AM
Highland Ham

Anyway, I have a few volume controls which need to be cleaned, is there
anything over-the-counter which would do the job?

Tuner cleaner - hard to find now

For this purpose I normally use 'Contact Cleaner' which is non-chlorinated.

A supplier here in the UK is : Maplin who has stores in many cities and
towns in the UK ,even in Scotland .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old September 4th 04, 07:06 PM
Airy R. Bean

WD40 is also excellent as an anti-fly/wasp spray, but
it makes a mess of the interior decor!

Old September 4th 04, 07:12 PM
clifto

PDRUNEN wrote:
Anyway, I have a few volume controls which need to be cleaned, is there
anything over-the-counter which would do the job?

Since my first electronics job in 1967, I've used all manner of stuff to
clean pots, switches, tuners, etc. Tuner cleaners work, but frequently
a dirty pot has to be recleaned every week or so for a while. The best
stuff I've ever used is DeOxit D5 spray; always works, seldom needs
to be reapplied.

Since the EPA took trichloroethane out of tuner cleaners, none of them
seem to work worth a damn.

--
"The Democrats are all over this. Democratic strategists feel John Kerry's
war record means he can beat Bush. They say when it comes down to it, voters
Old September 4th 04, 08:26 PM
Roy Lewallen

Bill Turner wrote:

. . .
Toluene, acetone and MEK are all powerful solvents and can damage
plastics and rubber just like carbon tet. They're great for some
things, but be careful.
. . .

I agree fully. Sorry, I didn't intend to recommend any of these solvents
for cleaning pots or most other electronic parts -- for the reasons Bill
states. Acetone and MEK are also highly flammable and not good to
breathe. Carbon tet was a good degreaser -- I remember using it to clean
the surface of a balky crystal. The solvents I mentioned are also good
degreasers and general solvents, but do attack a lot of materials and
need to be used with caution.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old September 4th 04, 10:48 PM
tim

hi,

http://www.caig.com

Deoxit 5 % or cailube is just great on scratchy and noisy pots.

Makes your controls on your rigs just like new out of the box !

mcm carries caig. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/

The non airosol are not charged a hazmat fee.

73 tim

Anyway, I have a few volume controls which need to be cleaned, is there
anything over-the-counter which would do the job?

Tnx de KJ4UO

cleaning cases and switches jack Boatanchors 2 April 27th 04 06:22 PM
Shack Cleaning KU4YP Boatanchors 18 February 22nd 04 07:51 PM
Shack Cleaning KU4YP Equipment 38 February 22nd 04 07:51 PM
Shack Cleaning KU4YP Equipment 0 February 16th 04 06:07 AM
WTB: 5-meg 2.5-watt potentiometers Phil Nelson Boatanchors 0 October 30th 03 03:17 AM