Old September 14th 04, 09:01 AM
Hans Summers

"Peter Parker" wrote in message

"S C" wrote in message ...
I would be grateful if anyone could suggest or provide me with a circuit
diagram for a Homebrew ATU with SWR meter or circuit diagrans for these
seperately.

The simplest ATU is an L-match. Comprises a coil and a capacitor.

Explain
that it is useful for matching high-impedence end fed wires approx half
wavelength long to 50 ohm and you should pass.

Yes - have a look at my version
http://www.hanssummers.com/radio/atu/atu.htm. I included a 50-ohm 10 Watt
dummy load and forward/reverse power meter. It doesn't read SWR directly, if
you really want to know the SWR then you measure the forward power and the
reverse (reflected) power and put them in the SWR formula.

In practice, 99% of the time you don't care about SWR, you just tune for
minimum reflected power. Operation is very easy - when switched to reflected
power, tune the capacitor to get minimum indicated reflected power. Then try
different L settings by switching the coil tap, and see which setting allows
the reflected power minimum to be deepest. I have a 1W full-scale-deflection
setting for the fine tuning. Then switch to forward power and away you go.

No need to know the actual SWR in practice; the only time I have bothered to
calculate it is when I want to tell people how close to 1:1 I can tune my
various incarnations of longwire antennas. Random length, not cut to any
particular band. Including the bent indoor attic "short"wire I had my first
QSO's on. So far I am very content with my ATU, I have been QRV on 80, 40
and 30m and always found it works well.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://www.HansSummers.com

Old September 14th 04, 06:26 PM
S C

Many thanks to those of you that have thus far provided me with advice and
guidance it is all very much appreciated.

To those persons who appear somewhat offended by the presence of an M3
licence holder - Your comments have been noted and promptly disregarded.

Without the supply of new interested individuals this hobby would eventually
cease to exist.

Finally, I would be grateful if anyone could provide me with smoe advice in
relation to CW. E.g. Methods available to improve the transmission and
understanding CW messages.

Many Thanks once again.

"S C" wrote in message ...
I would be grateful if anyone could suggest or provide me with a circuit
diagram for a Homebrew ATU with SWR meter or circuit diagrans for these
seperately.

I hope to build one for use on the HF bands.

Many Thanks for your help

M3GBQ

Old September 14th 04, 07:25 PM
Aaron Jones

"Hans Summers" wrote:
No need to know the actual SWR in practice;

I didn't even have an SWR meter for the first 10 years or so of my ham career.
With the link coupled rigs I just shoved the link coil in until the correct
plate current was reached (after dipping of course). Same with Pi Net, just
adjust for correct plate current. And the war surplus stuff, remember those
antenna current meters...

Come to think of it I think I was happier then, ignorance is bliss...
Old September 14th 04, 10:26 PM
Airy R. Bean

You behave like a 5-year old

"Peter" wrote in message
So Airy R Bean finally infested this newsgroup as well !

Old September 14th 04, 10:30 PM
Airy R. Bean

Irrelevant - the M3/CB Fools' Licence is judged by the lowest
standard necessary to obtain one.

Starting from scratch, with a previous irrelevant interest, perhaps
needleworking, fishing or CB Radio, you can obtain an M3/CB
Fools' Licence within 2 days. There is no way that anyone in such
a category has picked up any technical nous to qualify them as a
Radio Ham. If there really are people such as you claim, and you have
not just invented them for the purpose of this discussion, then why haven't
they got a higher grade of licence?

"Hans Summers" wrote in message

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
It is not a stupid response at all. Far from it; it is a response that
stands for the maintenance of standards in Ham Radio. The M3/CB
Fools' Licence here in Britland is an advanced CB licence, but it
is not a Ham Radio licence by any stretch of the imagination.

Rubbish. I know several M3's, some of whom I have met on air (CW, that

is).
Proficient and courteous ops. Some of them are enthusiastic homebrewers,
whose technical knowledge surely exceeds many, if not most, "full" license
holders.

Old September 14th 04, 10:32 PM
Airy R. Bean

You would seem to be describing a CBers-Masquerading-As-Radio-Hams
and not actually _REAL_ Radio Hams.

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
It is not a stupid response at all. Far from it; it is a response that
stands for the maintenance of standards in Ham Radio. The M3/CB
Fools' Licence here in Britland is an advanced CB licence, but it
is not a Ham Radio licence by any stretch of the imagination.

I suspect that the majority of "full" license holders, "real" amateurs you
would call them, buy their black box straight after the license arrives

and
never heat up a soldering iron.

Old September 14th 04, 10:32 PM
Airy R. Bean

I am not mocking anybody - your comment says more
about you, perhaps, than it does about me?

"Hans Summers" wrote in message
Have your own
interest and enjoy the hobby, without needing to mock others who enjoy it

in
their own way.

Old September 14th 04, 10:34 PM
Airy R. Bean

Argumentum Ad Populum.

That you choose finally to resort to rather silly and childish remarks
would seem to classify you as a CBer which would explain your
ranting.

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
It is not a stupid response at all. Far from it; it is a response that
stands for the maintenance of standards in Ham Radio. The M3/CB
Fools' Licence here in Britland is an advanced CB licence, but it
is not a Ham Radio licence by any stretch of the imagination.

May I also assure non-UK readers that Mr Bean's opinions and attitudes are
not representative of UK amateurs in general. Mr Bean does seem an
appropriate nickname however.
72/3 de Hans G0UPL

Old September 14th 04, 11:08 PM
Nimrod

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
It is not a stupid response at all. Far from it; it is a response that
stands for the maintenance of standards in Ham Radio. The M3/CB
Fools' Licence here in Britland is an advanced CB licence, but it
is not a Ham Radio licence by any stretch of the imagination.

Rubbish. I know several M3's, some of whom I have met on air (CW, that
is).
Proficient and courteous ops. Some of them are enthusiastic homebrewers,
whose technical knowledge surely exceeds many, if not most, "full" license
holders. To date, every M3 I have met is on his way to the full license.
Several have got theirs since I first knew them.

Hans, ask Airy (sorry Gareth) how long he held his licence before getting
to hold a G4.............

Even better, how long it took to learn about fitting
PL259s....................... (about 30 years).

Then try: Fixing a FT101 , repairing a TS830, FT221R,

Old September 14th 04, 11:08 PM
Nimrod

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
Irrelevant - the M3/CB Fools' Licence is judged by the lowest
standard necessary to obtain one.

Starting from scratch, with a previous irrelevant interest, perhaps
needleworking, fishing or CB Radio, you can obtain an M3/CB
Fools' Licence within 2 days. There is no way that anyone in such
a category has picked up any technical nous to qualify them as a
Radio Ham. If there really are people such as you claim, and you have
not just invented them for the purpose of this discussion, then why
haven't
they got a higher grade of licence?

But they have Gareth. Remember your 'friend' the M0 you thought was still a
M3? You know, the one you tried to show how to fit a PL259. Only thing is,
you couldn't fit it yourself. Could you.

He must still be laughing.....................we are.

Please send me your opinion about my project as placed on inforelation55 Equipment 0 November 9th 04 03:25 PM
To UAE/A6 : Dubai licence ? Thierry Dx 10 April 30th 04 03:51 AM
To UAE/A6 : Dubai licence ? Thierry Dx 0 April 28th 04 01:36 PM
AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINEâ„¢ ANNOUNCES CREATION OF THE ROY NEAL, K6DUE, AMATEUR RADIO MENTORING PROJECT Radionews Dx 6 January 31st 04 10:58 AM
AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINEâ„¢ ANNOUNCES CREATION OF THE ROY NEAL, K6DUE, AMATEUR RADIO MENTORING PROJECT Radionews Dx 0 January 30th 04 10:00 AM