Old September 19th 04, 08:30 PM
John Walton

Default FedEx loses points with me

If sending via USPS, UPS, FedEx -- you have to make sure that there are no
stickers or barcodes on the package --

Don't forget that kicking and screaming sometimes work with FedEx -- but if
you paid the "saver" rate option, they will delay the package until the last
moment.

FWIW -- I almost always specify USPost Office "Prioirty Mail" -- If I get my
Digikey orders in during the early afternoon they arrive from Minnesota the
next day, and Saturday's aren't a problem.

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
I ordered a bunch of parts for a homebrew amp from Mouser on the 10th.
FedEx picked them up in Fort Worth, Texas on the 10th, got them to Los
Angeles on the 13th and they've been sitting there ever since. IF they
are delivered tomorrow, the 20th, that will be seven days to go the 120
miles from LA to my QTH. IF they are delivered tomorrow.

UPS has problems too, but they've never been that slow for me.

Sigh.

--
Bill W6WRT

Old September 19th 04, 11:17 PM
John Moriarity

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
I ordered a bunch of parts for a homebrew amp from Mouser on the 10th.
FedEx picked them up in Fort Worth, Texas on the 10th, got them to Los
Angeles on the 13th and they've been sitting there ever since. IF they
are delivered tomorrow, the 20th, that will be seven days to go the 120
miles from LA to my QTH. IF they are delivered tomorrow.

And on the other hand, I ordered a computer
case and power supply at about 3 P.M. last
Wednesday. It arrived about the same hour
on Friday. It's over 700 miles between City
of Industry (L.A.) and Alturas, CA. FedEx
Express Saver service has been good to me.

BTW, there were a lot of barcodes on the
box other than FedEx's. Didn't seem to
matter.

73, John - K6QQ

Old September 20th 04, 12:19 AM
G.Beat

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
I ordered a bunch of parts for a homebrew amp from Mouser on the 10th.
FedEx picked them up in Fort Worth, Texas on the 10th, got them to Los
Angeles on the 13th and they've been sitting there ever since. IF they
are delivered tomorrow, the 20th, that will be seven days to go the 120
miles from LA to my QTH. IF they are delivered tomorrow.

UPS has problems too, but they've never been that slow for me.

Sigh.
--
Bill W6WRT

Bill -

Unfortunately, it really depends which provider/logistics company (e.g.,
UPS, USPS, FedEx, DHL) service is best where you wish to ship - from point A
to point B.

I have been disappointed with all carriers, but the FedEx Ground (Home
Delivery) service in the Chicago area is probably the worst - they missed
more Christmas deliveries and could not tell you where the package was -
poor tracking system (different than regular FedEx) -- and shaky customer
service .

gb

Old September 20th 04, 03:52 AM
don

Perhaps the package is in the building or truck but can't be seen ?

Been using fedex ground for last year now, less expensive the ups
and packages get there on time, I'm in central nc so fedex hub right
here is town.
Kinkos now part of fed ex, so same great rates and more places
to drop it off.
I find the fedex hub faster and easier to use, they know their stuff.

agree with other poster that the fedex ground fedex home tracking is
slow to update. Had one buyer complain about his package,
turns out it was sitting on the front porch since 4 pm california time
but he kept using the fedex home tracking and 'on truck for delivery'
kept showing up ! lol.

don

Old September 20th 04, 04:30 PM
John Walton

FedEx Ground can be disappointing -- I agree -- but I've sold a lot of bulky
stuff on EBay and warn the purchaser that they should expect delivery in "at
best" a week. Nothing has gotten lost for me via FedEx Ground.

"John Miles" wrote in message
In article , says...

And on the other hand, I ordered a computer
case and power supply at about 3 P.M. last
Wednesday. It arrived about the same hour
on Friday. It's over 700 miles between City
of Industry (L.A.) and Alturas, CA. FedEx
Express Saver service has been good to me.

BTW, there were a lot of barcodes on the
box other than FedEx's. Didn't seem to
matter.

73, John - K6QQ

I just sent a huge box (24x24x30 or so, about 70 pounds) via FedEx 3-day
Express Saver from Seattle to Portland. It got there the next day for
about $80. Can't complain about that! Actually paying for overnight
deliver would have been in the $300 range.

I don't have much use for FedEx Ground, though. FedEx has done a
terrible job integrating the ground service with the rest of their
tracking and billing infrastructure. The impression I get is that
FedEx's IT people are among the least competent in the shipping
business. It's *very* rare that all of the features at fedex.com
actually work at any given moment. And I've lost track of the number of
"user IDs" I've had to create over the past few years due to their
wholesale re-engineering of the site.

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

Old September 20th 04, 05:26 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
John Walton wrote:

FedEx Ground can be disappointing -- I agree -- but I've sold a lot of bulky
stuff on EBay and warn the purchaser that they should expect delivery in "at
best" a week. Nothing has gotten lost for me via FedEx Ground.

I've come to prefer FedEx Ground over the corresponding UPS service
for one significant reason: damage. Both in my own experience, and
that of the shipping/receiving guy at the company I work for, the odds
of a decently-packaged device being damaged in shipment are
significantly higher if it's sent by UPS.

FedEx seems to be somewhat more gentle with the packages, and (if I'm
shipping and do so via my employer's system) it's less expensive.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old September 20th 04, 06:47 PM
Allodoxaphobia

[ Odious Top Posting corrected ]

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:52:02 GMT, don hath writ:
Bill wrote:

[...]

Also, it could be your browser cache. Hit [Reload].
I had a similar problem with (IIRC) UPS out of Washington state.
My package "sat" in Salt Lake City for a day or two. Ultimately
it was on my porch whilst my browser said "Salt Lake City".
doooh! I did a [Reload] and then saw all the routing updates
past Salt Lake City: depart SLC, arrive/depart Grand Junction,
arrive/out_for_delivery Gunnison.

It's the web designer's fault in such a case. The page should be
tagged as non-cache'able -- yielding a fresh load on each view.
I remember emailing webmaster@ for that instance, and I remember
getting back a non-specific/non-commital reply.

Now that I'm on DSL, I cache Very Little in my browsers. HI!HI!

73
Jonesy
Old September 21st 04, 03:27 AM
John Moriarity

"John Miles" wrote in message

I don't have much use for FedEx Ground, though.

I totally agree. I had a guitar shipped to
me from San Diego (to Alturas, CA)
by FedEx Ground, the shipper's choice.

I watched it move around California for
several days, and then it got stuck in
Reno, NV. A few days later, I got a
notice in my mailbox, that a package
was waiting for me at the Post Office.
FedEx had *mailed* it to me from Reno!!

When I complained, I was told that they
reserved the right to *mail* a Ground
shipment to a "remote" destination!!

Just don't use "Ground".

73, John - K6QQ

Old December 9th 04, 12:43 PM
David Snyder Hale

I'd had problems w'em all, so for me it's a real crap shoot. Lately,
however, FedEx seems the best, as long as I don't use "home delivery".
I had a package that, for several days, the tracking indicated
"attempted delivery". I had been home (work from home) and I KNEW that
no one had attempted delivery. Plus, they had left no notes. Of
course, FedEx people didn't believe me, they believed their computer.
Finally, when they were going to send it back to the shipper for
"exceeding delivery attempts" I insisted I talk to the driver that was
attempting the deliveries. They said that wasn't possible, that he
didn't carry a phone and he'd try one extra time. He called later on
his phone, asked if I could meet him somewhere. By this point I was
willing to do most anything. When I met him he told me that his
section was having trouble making all of their deliveries so his boss
was telling the drivers to mark bunches of their packages as "attempted
delivery" at the start of each morning.

I had a USPS package, arrived with big "FRAGILE" stamps all over it,
and a large, perfect boot impression in the middle of the crushed-in
side. I kept the box, it was so funny.

UPS mis-routes about 2/3 of the packages to my address.

--
Dave * N3WTK (DM04xf) * http://isi.mtwilson.edu * VE

Horizintal loop with two feed points? T.E.O Antenna 5 April 9th 04 12:16 AM
MFJ557 keyer & oxide points Phil Schuman Equipment 0 January 30th 04 02:41 PM
MFJ557 keyer & oxide points Phil Schuman Equipment 0 January 30th 04 02:41 PM
Pwr Adj Points DR453T Dennis Homebrew 0 October 31st 03 02:41 AM
Pwr Adj Points DR453T Dennis Homebrew 0 October 31st 03 02:41 AM