Old September 20th 04, 04:32 PM
John Walton

Default Not homebrew -- but can u recommend a rig for Peace Corps volunteer

conditions are probably going to be hot, dusty, humid, full of critters --
and battery operation essential --

Old September 21st 04, 12:12 AM
gwatts

John Walton wrote:
conditions are probably going to be hot, dusty, humid, full of critters --
and battery operation essential --

A few more details might be necessary, like 'how much rig?', 'how much
battery available?' and the eternal 'how much money?'.

There are some nice, multiband rigs that do HF, VHF and UHF. If the
Corps is sending the volunteer someplace where VHF and UHF aren't used
there's not much point in getting that capability, but in some places
having VHF/UHF used by the local gov't UHF/VHF capability, even
'bootlegged,' could save someone's life.

Yaesu has a HF/VHF/UHF rig designed for low power use,
The FT-817 http://tinyurl.com/wsat

Icom has an HF low power rig:
Icom IC-703 http://www.icom.co.jp/world/info/ic-703/index.html

Low power could be hard to get through with, if there is power from a
vehicle battery or similar a 100 watt rig could be used,
http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/706mkIIg/
I have a Yaesu FT-857D in my vehilce, http://tinyurl.com/vkp3

and these are all backpack/mobile radios, a little more rugged than
normal. There are other manufacturers, these I have experience with.

I said 'bootlegged' meaning that there are ways to remove the amateur
band transmit frequency limits on pretty much all these radios, a radio
sold in America has the American limits, German radios have German
limits, if you're out in the jungle or in some small, remote village the
laws and their enforcement may be different and the local authority
might actually appreciate another communiucation point in their
jurisdiction (spoken from personal experience) but be certain.

A good antenna is essential, even the best radio is junk without a good
antenna. Good antennas don't have to be expensive, they can be made
from wire, it would be very valuable to check in to that as well.

That's all I can say right now, supper's waiting,
Galen, W8LNA
Old September 21st 04, 12:17 AM
nickel bag

John Walton wrote:

conditions are probably going to be hot, dusty, humid, full of critters --
and battery operation essential --

Oh yeah, dusty.

Take a few plastic bags big enough to keep the radio in when you're not
using it. The radio will need ventilation when being used, especially
in hot places. I've used large Tupperware type containers in snowy and
rainy places to keep rigs dry, it'd work for dust and critters.

Humid: If it's too wet, it's too wet. Sometimes letting the radio warm
up will drive out moisture, unless it's really hot and humid.

Ok, gotta eat,
Galen, W8LNA
Old September 21st 04, 01:39 AM
gwatts

John Walton wrote:
conditions are probably going to be hot, dusty, humid, full of critters --
and battery operation essential --

Oh yeah, dusty.

Take a few plastic bags big enough to keep the radio in when you're not
using it. The radio will need ventilation when being used, especially
in hot places. I've used large Tupperware type containers in snowy and
rainy places to keep rigs dry, it'd work for dust and critters.

Humid: If it's too wet, it's too wet. Sometimes letting the radio warm
up will drive out moisture, unless it's really hot and humid.

Ok, posted from the right account this time,
Galen, W8LNA
Old September 22nd 04, 07:26 AM
The Eternal Squire

John,

May I suggest a few points of prudence for you to consider?

1) Are you transmitting or simply intending to receive?

The former will most definitely require both a General Class license or
higher in this country, and either a reciprocal license, local license,
government permit, or a joint recognition treaty with the host country
that gives you the equivalent of General priviledges over there.

Keep in mind also that you will be limited to the priviledges of the
host country which extends these priviledges to you.

Even the possession of a receiver may require a license in the host
country. There could be several reasons for this: authoritarian state
where individual rights are far from paramount in the eyes of thier law,
free state (UK) that takes revenue from receiver licenses, or a state
where all communications are nationalized and thus even receivers are
considered government property.

2) Assuming you are transceiving, for what purpose do you intend to use
the transceiver for?

If you are intending to contact relatives and home office stateside as
third parties, you cannot use the amateur bands for this purposes, as
this is considered a business communication. There are countries
having even stricter third party restrictions than we have, and you
would of course need to consider the laws of both countries prior to
originating or handling such traffic.

You would be well advised to invest in a satellite phone instead.

3) If you are being sent to a place where the politics are at best
volatile and at worst violent, the possession of amateur gear could be
misconstrued by anyone from government paramilitaries to insurgent
terrorists in the host country as equipment in support of espionage.

The discovery of such gear in your possession could place your life in
even worse danger than your status as a US Peace Corp Volunteer normally
would.

This is another extremely good reason to consider a satellite phone instead.

4) Unless you can arrange for the item to be conveyed via "diplomatic
pouch", be prepared to pay a heavy customs duty to the host country.
The US State Department is usually quite cooperative with arranging
diplomatic immunity for conveyance of items necessary to the mission of
the US Peace Corp, though this is usually more along the category of
medications for humanitarian purposes. Consult with your superior for
more details.

5) If you are still determined, you should next consider tradeoffs in
reliability, portability, and rugged construction:

a) In terms of reliability, well constructed all-tube SSB/morse
gear is the gold standard for taking both physical and electrical abuse
in unknown situations, and can invariably run off of 50 or 60 hertz
mains across a wide range of input AC voltage level - 117 volts gear can
generally operate from 90 Volts minimum to 130 maximum.

Collins gear circa 1950-1970 would be eminently suitable for
semipermanent stations, and you can still see complete Collins
transcievers in working condition for under $1000. US military
surplus all-band SSB transcievers of similar construction to Collins
may also prove suitable.

The main disadvantages of this approach a (1) you would need
access to a dedicate power grid or at the very least, or at least 3
watts of power inverted from several paralled car batteries for every
watt of power you intend to transmit. A 1000 Watt power inverter would
be suitable for 300 Watts transmitter output. (2) due to the relative
fragility of vaccum tubes, you should take at least 2 spares of every
tube used by your transciever, and at least 3 extra sets of final
amplifier tubes.

b) Well constructed hybrid transistor/tube gear is the next best
with respect to physical abuse, but it is generally restricted in terms
of the variety of power supplies which can be adapted to it. It is
much more sensitive to power supply frequency, and a sag or surge much
outside 10% of the 117 volts input could even damage your gear.

The later model Heathkits, Yaesus, and Galaxies (I cut my teeth on
a Galaxy V Mark II during childhood), are all very good examples.

c) All-semiconductor gear such as from Icom, has the advantage of
being miniature, highly sensitive with outstanding selectivity for
weak signal work, quite flexible to operate, and can be run directly off
of a car battery, generator, or solar panels without need of inversion.

The main disadvantage is the exquisite sensitivity of modern
semiconductors to dirty power, I recommend very much against running any
all-semiconductor gear from a third-world power grid. Another major
disadvantage is the lack of user-servicable parts... if you intend to go
this route, bring TWO of them with you.

6) Don't forget other important station accessories, such as low pass
filter output, output balun, transmatch, and SWR meter. Old style
wraparound headphones are especially important for operator comfort.
Expect to spend another $1000 to $1500 on the accessories allow, if you
want rugged and top of the line accessories from the best names.

7) Paralleled inverted vee antennas cut for the bands you desire to
operate will give you the most flexible compromise between
bandswitching, local, and intercontinental operation. Consult the
ARRL Antenna Book for details.

Good luck,

The Eternal Squire

Old September 25th 04, 04:02 AM
Michael St. Angelo

I'd stay away from tube gear. The switches and tube sockets may be
intermittend after all these years and it's impossible finding some of the
replacement tubes. In addition, the analog local oscillators will drift in
the heat and humidity.

I'd recommend the latest generation of transceivers that emplou DDS/PLL
synthesizers. If you require 100watt transmit power, I'd look at the Yaesu
FT-897 or FT-857. They have moderate receive current consumption and the 897
will run from internal batteries (with 20 watts output). In addition, they
operate 6 M, 2M and 70 cM.

If 10 watts will suffice. I'd look at the ICOM IC-703.

Put them through their paces before you travel with them. The 703 has
problems with the driver stages failing; get the bugs fixed under warranty
before traveling.

These are Amateur radio transceivers and I'm assuming you have a license and
will get a reciprocal license for the country you intend to operate from.

Which country will you be working in? Good luck.

Regard's

Mike N2MS