Old October 19th 04, 11:19 PM
Paul Burridge

Default 2.4Ghz PA module recommendation required

Hi all,

Any suggestions? Thinking in terms of maybe 10W out / 200mW in or
thereabouts.

Thanks,

p.
--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.
Old October 20th 04, 12:26 AM
Joerg

Hi Paul,

Motorola used to produce modules like that. I don't know if they still
do, or if it was all transferred to one of their spin-offs.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Old October 20th 04, 04:36 AM
Andrey

Is it for Wi-Fi network?

It could be a tough call. According to FCC regulations we not supposed to
transmit that much, hence readily available products are typicaly limited to
1 Wt, like this one:
http://www.connectronics.com/fidelity%20comtech/

Once I was thinking to use something exotic, like this 1177H10 TVT:
http://www.44tesla.com/dictionary/cat1021.htm
, but to run the network you need the Amp to be bi-directional (like the
first example.)

This one maybe close to what you need
http://www.multicap.be/uk/DM-AMP_BTB.shtml
(the big one with ribs on the picture), it may not be 10Wt, it may be ...
4Wt, by looking at it. I could not open their PDF though - gives me error.
Write them. It is in China, they may be 'pushing the boundaries'.

BTW, if you find out how powerful this Amp is, please let me know too.

Andrey

Old October 20th 04, 04:43 AM
Andrey

Actually, I was wrong in previous EMail:
here is 10 Wt bi-directinal Amp - just found it
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/ha2410.php
I did not see it 1 year ago. I guess world is getting better ....

it is expensive though
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/amp...2400_page2.php

Old October 20th 04, 12:42 PM
Paul Burridge

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:43:07 -0700, "Andrey"
wrote:

Actually, I was wrong in previous EMail:
here is 10 Wt bi-directinal Amp - just found it
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/ha2410.php
I did not see it 1 year ago. I guess world is getting better ....

it is expensive though
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/amp...2400_page2.php

It is rather! I wonder how much the internal components cost?? The
site seems a bit short on technical info on these amps. What do they
mean by "bi-directional"? If they're talking about some sort of RX
preamp feature built in, it ain't gonna be 10W surely! :-)
--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.

Old October 20th 04, 04:01 PM
Andrey

What do they
mean by "bi-directional"? If they're talking about some sort of RX
preamp feature built in, it ain't gonna be 10W surely! :-)

It is exacty that: PA from Input to Output and LNA another way. Otherwise
you can not run the Network.

And this one does look like 10Wt - judging by the size of the heatsink

Andrey

Old October 20th 04, 04:16 PM
Paul Burridge

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:01:51 -0700, "Andrey"
wrote:

What do they
mean by "bi-directional"? If they're talking about some sort of RX
preamp feature built in, it ain't gonna be 10W surely! :-)

It is exacty that: PA from Input to Output and LNA another way. Otherwise
you can not run the Network.

And this one does look like 10Wt - judging by the size of the heatsink

It does look rather *large* for 10W, I guess. But is this due to the
frequency of operation? I mean, presumably efficiency drops off as one
goes up in frequency so maybe the PA is dissipating more heat than an
equivalent PA operating at, say, 430Mhz?
--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.
Old October 24th 04, 12:09 AM
Fred McKenzie

Any suggestions? Thinking in terms of maybe 10W out / 200mW in or
thereabouts.

Paul-

Kenwood may have made a 2400 MHz version of the TM-742, except it was equipped
with only the one band module. I recall seeing a photo on a web site, but have
not been able to find any additional information, so it may have only been a
proposed product that was never produced.

If such a rig was actually produced, then you should be able to obtain one of
the 2400 MHz amplifier modules as a replacement part.

Last year I replaced the Two Meter "SAV17" Fifty Watt module in my TM-742. It
was obtained from RF Parts Company, http://www.rfparts.com/. Their catalog
lists other similar modules for other frequency ranges, but none listed in
their catalog are higher than 1300 MHz.

Four companies were mentioned as producing such modules, so researching their
web sites might turn up what you are looking for. They are Motorola,
Mitsubishi Electric, Philips and Toshiba.

73, Fred, K4DII