Old December 22nd 04, 02:02 PM

Default Making a rotor.

I am a under funded newbie ham. I am wanting to set up a base station
at home. Can I make my own rotor cheaply? Maybe using a dc motor or
something? How would I go about doing it? I have a catalog to surplus
center that has many in it.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:01 PM
Highland Ham

I am a under funded newbie ham. I am wanting to set up a base station
at home. Can I make my own rotor cheaply? Maybe using a dc motor or
something? How would I go about doing it? I have a catalog to surplus
center that has many in it.

===================================
First a few questions :
1) What type of rotating antenna do you intend using , a small Yagi ,a large
Yagi , a small or big Quad antenna ?
2) Do you suffer ,from time to time , from high winds in your area ?

Especially heavy rotating antennas with a relatively high wind loading need
a powerful motor/gearbox + a BRAKE !
The latter is an absolute necessity otherwise the internal gear train will
be wasted in a short time.
Another requirement for the rotor is to be weather proof.
If the whole mast , either fitted against a building or other elevated
structure (steel tower) ,is rotating from top to bottom (inside bearings)
the electric rotator can be fitted at ground floor level . This allows some
freedom in selecting electric motor + gear box and brake . In this situation
you might not need an electric drive at all since the rotation could
possibly be established by purely mechanical means ( pulleys +
belt/cable/rope) with a ditto clamp preventing rotation when stationary.

However with the rotator in an elevated position (near the antenna ) a
homebrew unit is probably 'very difficult' .
Perhaps others on this NG would care to comment.

Frank GM0CSZ/KN6WH

Old December 22nd 04, 03:26 PM
John Walton

when I first started as a ham (in the early 1960's) people used "prop-pitch"
motors for their antennae -- I don't know if Fair Radio has them anymore --
they were a regular item at the Dayton Hamfest way back then.

I just sold a CDR rotor (with controller) on EBay a few months ago.

oups.com...

Old December 22nd 04, 06:20 PM
john graesser

"John Walton" wrote in message
when I first started as a ham (in the early 1960's) people used

"prop-pitch"
motors for their antennae -- I don't know if Fair Radio has them

anymore --
they were a regular item at the Dayton Hamfest way back then.

I just sold a CDR rotor (with controller) on EBay a few months ago.

And at the other extreme, when I was first a ham in the mid 90's, I used a
tv rotator on a push up pole rotating a 3 element 2m yagi and a 40 m dipole
made with 2 40 m mobile whips. It all depends on the antenna array you
intend to move and what the winds are going to be like.
thanks, John.
KC5DWD

Old December 22nd 04, 07:43 PM
w9gb

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a under funded newbie ham. I am wanting to set up a base station
at home. Can I make my own rotor cheaply? Maybe using a dc motor or
something? How would I go about doing it? I have a catalog to surplus
center that has many in it.

Please a want ad in the news papers of fringe and deep fringe areas of the
US, such as western and southern Illinois. You should have hundreds offered
for postage !

gb